Looking for an all-round electric

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by jetru, Jun 14, 2006.

1. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Instead of buying a stupid cheapo Ibanez, buy a Squier and put some nice Seymour Duncans or Lace Sensor to it. It will still work out as much as your Ibanez only but sound wise it will be really good. And to buy a pick for $50, you dont need to be a millionaire.

2. ronnieanand

That bcos your single coil guitar never had strings in them :RollLol: :RollLol: :RollLol: :RollLol:

3. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

This is seroisuly the most stupid statement I have ever come across " SINGLE COILS SUCK IN DISTORTION " . So let me guess according to this statement.. the distortion tones on the first couple of Zepllin albums SUCKED big time.. Including the classic "Stairway to heaven" and Rock 'n' roll " All of Ritchie Blackmores work suck because he used single coils 95% of the times, so did Hendrix... Oh yes even SOME of Slash's tones in A.F.D. what abt some of Kirk Hammet's works .... Talking abouth Stock pickups..... SRV used stock Fender pickups on his NO.1 .....

4. ronnieanand

Nope...SRV didn't use stock pickups...His Amps and Pickups were heavily modded ones...Even his speaker Cabinet was a modded one...He was using some overwound vintage pickup....

5. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Not in his no.1 his No1 had stock Fender pickups.. He used heavy string gauges...however.. I dont know abouth his Amps and cabinets however... The SRV Fender signature model has Texas Special pickups however. But his No.1 had stock pickups. Fender has confirmned the same, after studyng the guitar

6. Double Click

Double Click New Member

Cheap Humbuckers can be just as noisy. Good pups arent all that costly. Most of them can be had for Rs 2500-5000 /-.

Considering your budget, I'd say the best bet would be to get a custom from Tulsi.

Oh.. one more thing.. STAY AWAY FROM LOW END IBANEZ's

7. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

I agree with you.. there are a lot of humbukers that wont handel distortion well, Infact some after market humbukers are built for such purposes... There are loads of single coils that can handel distortion very very well.... and can beat many humbuckers in comaprison for example the Duncan QUATER POUND... But all that said it is still very foolish to say single coils cant handel Distortion..... infact this is the most stupid statement I have come accross in a very long time...

8. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

here's what a forum bro in another forum had to say for something around the same lines ( PICKUPS ARE TOO BRIGHT) :
    "How long you been playing? Do you play out...or rehearse with a band?

Just curious, because it seems to me that beginers have a hard time getting a full round tone.

Takes a while to get your hands coordinated at first and most beginers have a thin scrapey tone until they get thier technique together. I know I did!

I could not get any kind of decent tone for the first few years I was playing and could only play Gibsons...Fenders were way to bright. Now that I've been playing for forty + years my tone is a lot better and all I want to play are Fenders.

I wonder if better speakers with a fuller tone would help you out?

Lew"

9. ThePacifist

ThePacifist New Member

Each pickup has a unique sound of its own, and it would be unfair to judge pickups based on few reviews.
    Technically speaking, a single coil produces a brighter, looser sound compared to a humbucker. A humbucker is named so because it "bucks" (cancels) the hum produced by ambient radio frequency(thats radio waves all around you). So, you get less of hum, tighter high-end and pronounced middle and low end on a humbucker, compared to the brighter, cleaner tones of a single coil.

Also, it would be wrong to compare seymour duncan single coils with a stock humbucker...no way can they sound the same. Good people have invested huge money and time, and the results are there to see. Coming to pickups, the sound also depends on the material of the magnet. Alnico (Gibson et al used them in 60s) produce a much more smoother, fatter tone than ceramic, which has quite sharp tonal dynamics, and is used mostly for metal.

Yes, there will always be people who swear by their single coil fenders, and others who will not let go of their humbucking Gibsons, but the fact of the matter is, every player has his own choice. You have to go to the dealer and play different kinds of guitars. Apart form the pickups, there are a lots of other things like the feel of the guitar, its weight, fretboard etc etc that go into selection of the guitar, and you will have to do that selection yourself.

A guitar purchase is one of the most wonderfully satisfying things in life, dont spoil the moment :)

10. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

I am not disagreeing with you...My only point I am trying to make is this stupid sensless statement " SINGLE COILS CANT HANDEL DISTORTION WELL" .
    Humbukers defintly have a WARMER, SMOTHER-FATTER-TONE as compared to a single coil which have a BRIGHT-PUNCHY-CLEAR-TONE.
    When comparing Seymour Duncan Single coils I have compared only the QUATER POUND to a normal Humbucker in terms of using it for distortion. Of cousre they wont sound the same.... and anybody expecting them to sound the same would be insane..... Because even though The Quater Pound is wound hotter... it is still a single coil.. and will have that single coil tone- BRIGHT CLEAR AND PUNCHY when compared to a Humbucker... Again A humbuker that is would to be brighter would still sound WARM-SMOOTH and FAT when compared to a single coil.
    I personaly prefer humbuckers, I like them better in the bridge.....I like the smoother-thicker-warmer-tone they give, as compared to a single coil. even in the neck a Humbuker that is wound for clearer tones is what I would prefer.. ( something like the Duncan JAZZ or Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell or something around the same lines...) But Single coils have their place.... and it is realy stupid to say they cant handel distortion.... yes they may not be suited for all kinds of music styles but to say they cant handel distortion is the most craziest thing I have ever heard.
    I currently have 3 electric guitars lying with me.. 2 of them belong to friends.. here is the set up
    1)My own guitar:- has a Duncan JB in the bridge with a single coil in the neck.... Sounds great with and with out distortion... with distortion I can play nice chord work using the Neck single coil.
    2)My friends Strat has the classic strat configration 3 single coil pickups... and they sound great too.. both with distortio and with out distortion.
    3)My friends vintage EGMOND LES PAUL copy has two humbuckers sounds great....the pickups are brightish but yet smother and warmer then the single coils on the other two guitars (and the pickups are good quality and not some cheapo pickups)
    I guess people who say single coils suck for distortion are probaly those who want only to play heavier music all the time.... But quite a few artist who use Humbukers all the time have used single coils while recording for clarity

11. ThePacifist

ThePacifist New Member

Single coils are not suited for distortion when you intend to play heavy music with lot of low-end. But blues etc are played both with single coils and humbuckers....they sound different ofcourse, but none is bad. As I said bfore, its just a matter of your own taste.

12. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

^ again I dont disagree with you..... If someone wants to play Black Metal.. death Metal exxt then they wont like Single coils... With regards to that it would be fair to say that Single coils dont work very well for Death metal- black metal ext....
    But yes Single coils handel distortion very well for Hard rock and metal.... and it is a very stupid statement to make a genralised statement saying "SINGLE COILS DONT HANDEL DISTORTION WELL".
    Diff peole have diff taste I can understand that...some like humbukers some single coils.. some hardcore fans of Humbuckers and some Hardcore fans of Singlecoils... I can understand all that... But maknig statements like that is abosluly stupid.

13. ronnieanand

As a generalized statement without taking into exceptions, single coils can cut through the mix like crazy as compared to Humbuckers. If you are a shredder with Clean Techniques, single coils can really show it off. If you technique is clumsy it can be suicide to play with single coils. The attack of a single coil is far more than the attack of a humbucker. But both single coils and humbuckers are beasts in their own territory and a lame mouse in the others territory. So cant really compare them. Just chose what you like and take it.

14. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

^^^^^^^ +10 to all of that

15. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

- 100 to all of that.
    People have their own personal preferences and have all the right to demean the other product, because it doenst match their taste.

Single Coils suck while playing metal and usually sound bright n jovial, quite not what I would want on my metallic tone.
    Ofcourse I could use a 20-30 BAnd EQ to suit the end tone to my taste, but then why should I?

16. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Well making a statement saying "SINGLE COILS DONT WORK FOR METAL" and "SINGLE COILS SUCK ON DISTORTION" are two diff things all together..... and defintly dont mean the same.
    I agree they dont work well for more heavier music like Death metal Thrash ext... but they do work OK for METAL in the neck...
    My only argument is that SINGLE COILS DONT SUCK ON DISTORTION... .

17. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Hehe, though on few occasions I liked the twangyness of single coils while playing with metal tone. :)

Paul Gilbert gets single-coilish tones from his Humbucked Ibanez.

18. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

yup he does get ... that s because of the HUMBUCKER FROM HELL that he uses........ I like Humbuckers like HUMBUKER FROM HELL & DUNCAN JAZZ . for neck postion.

19. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Waise I like single coils more on bridge.
    Thats when they give really characteristic tone of theirs.

20. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

I HATE THAT TONE ! pttf
    TOOO metalish ! Must be the Ibanez :)