Looking for an all-round electric

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by jetru, Jun 14, 2006.

1. jetru

jetru New Member

I live in Bangalore and I'll be buying an electric guitar soon. I want a guitar that'll play both rock and metal(rock - a bit more than metal). Guitar+Amp should cost < Rs.15K. So that means guitar should be around Rs.10000-12000.

Please note that I'm a beginner to electric. But I've been playing an acoustic(borrowed :D) for a couple of months and I'm not very good:(.

What exactly am I looking for here? Fenders play rock but they suck with distortion(so I hear). Ibanez are the other way around. What about GB&A? Never heard of it anywhere but on these boards. I don't care about the whammy bar, and since it gives tuning problems(especially with these low price stuff) I'd prefer if it wasn't there.

All suggestions welcome.

2. ThePacifist

ThePacifist New Member

Very few guitars handle both distortion and clean tones very well. I played a PRS once and that was a thing of beauty, but well outside the range you specified. You will have to decide first what kind of music are you interested in.

If you are a beginner on electric, I have seen plenty of suggestions to go for Ibanez. In fact, I have to buy a guitar myself, and would be looking into this thread often....lets see what comes up

UPDATE: You will also find the pricelists for guitars on the gear talk forum.

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Array where do you find all these guidelines written?

4. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Thats bullsh!t..anyways for 10K you arent getting any REAL Fender or Ibanez, just their low level offerings...
    And Bangalore is, sadly, NOT a good place to buy guitars..in your range of 10-12K, you'll get Squier Affinities, Ibanez GRGs, Samick and GB&a(and maybe a few J&D brothers) here...all Strat type guitars with a few variations in design.
    Going by current stocks, I found the Squiers to be the best..of course tastes vary, so you can give them a try and see what you like.Not too many choices in that price range.

5. prit_undead

prit_undead New Member

i'm buying a gb&a tomorrow
    its playing gr8 with the crunch on
    spent about 5 hrs in da stores for the last 2 days trying it out

6. jetru

jetru New Member

//Array where do you find all these guidelines written?

Picked it up here and there. Even ThePacifist said the same thing.

Obviously I can't get REAL fenders and les pauls at my budget.

And yes, Bangalore isn't the place. But I want an electric guitar to learn from, badly . I'll be going to the US next sumer and buying a decent guitar there myself. But I need something NOW. It just should be decent in both clean and dist, say in 3:2 ratio.

I'll take a look at the GB&A's. I heard something about a HSS config, should do me good. I checked squier reviews and it looks very good. I think that's what I'll go for.

Anyone says GB&A is better?

7. ThePacifist

ThePacifist New Member

HSS config means Humbucker-single-single...three pickups.
    Infact, it would do you good. You can switch to humbucker for distortion, and switch to single coil for the clean sounds.....

btw, ppl do not hold squiers in high regards. And try to take some friend who knows a bit about the instrument with you....there are a lot of things to be checked bfore you pick up a piece to take home....

8. jetru

jetru New Member

@ThePacifist
    Well, I'm quite aware of the problems to check for: scratches, intonation problems, lowering the action, wood quality, see if the neck is strong, check the pickups(just play around a bit) and other miscellania. I think I'll do fine alone. Besides, this is only a practice guitar.
    And I do know what a HSS config is :D

Squiers had decent reviews at musiciansfriends.com They can't be worse than GB&As/low end Ibanezs.

9. ThePacifist

ThePacifist New Member

lolz, I should never assume......
    Anyways, apart from that, check to see whether the wood is matured or dry, check for warping. Dont get the action too low, otherwise it will buzz....

Didnt mean to offend you mate....just that I thought you didnt know much about electrics...

10. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Tell this to Iron Maiden, Ritchie Blackmore, Ritchie Kotzen, Jeff Beck and countless others.....All their career they have been using the wrong guitar. They need your help. Hurry Up...

11. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Well the people who dont hold Squier in high regards are the ones who have American Fenders. ;)

In similar vein, people who own PRS dont hold Fenders or Gibsons in that high regard.

:p:

12. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

+1 .... I dont know who is preaching all this B.S... that Fenders dont rock....I can go and add a host of other artist to what you have already mentioned . And I still cant figure out why many people still say that Single coils suck under distortion.

13. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Fender suck on distortion!

Stop me if you can. And stop all my fans who want same tone as me.
    (and Dare stop my sponsors - !b@n3z etc)

14. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

fenders with distortion do NOT suck.

and low price electrics' don go out of tune wen using the whammy

i haVe a Gb&A
    theyre good.
    i haev a duoble humbucker and 1 single.
    its good. i got it for 6758./- bucks .

who told u that about Ibanezs??

it wwould help if we know ur budget

15. Double Click

Double Click New Member

:spam1: :NoNo:

16. jetru

jetru New Member

//Fender suck on distortion!

People on UG seem to think so. Singles coils don't do well with distortion because they the noise thing that is eliminated in humbuckers.

17. ThePacifist

ThePacifist New Member

18. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

And now you say Single Coils suck on Distortion. Some of the greatest and the most wanted tones ever came out from Single Coils...For people who are used to Humbuckers, you seriously have no clues as what you are missing out with Humbuckers that you get it in Single Coils..I have a Squier fitted with lace sensor gold pickups and it rocks absolutely.

19. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^
    :p: But I started off with single coil wonly, and now prefer the hummers.
    ^:spam1:

20. jetru

jetru New Member

Ah, yes. But those single coils are aren't the cheapest ones on the market are they? Those guys are millionaires and they can get as good pickups as they want. Would stock single coils on lower end Ibanezes be good with distortion?