little help wit fretted harmonics....

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by 6String_assasin, Jun 6, 2004.

1. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

ne1 tips for playin' fretted harmonics? i can't get 'em olways on the 1st strike n not even very clear 2 :annoyed: . ne exercises or tekniques... :nw:
    man how does zakk play 'em :nw:

2. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

OK first and foremost, Fretted harmonics can be found on the 5th, 7th,12th , 17th and 24th frets.. Just touch the string gently on the fret and play the string..

What Zakk Wylde plays are Pinch and scream Harmonics which can be played on any frets.. Listen to Pantera- Cemetry Gates has lot of Harmonics..

YOu basically need a lot of distortion to make your guitar scream like Dimebag or Zakk..

3. 6String_assasin

hey man, wot u r talking abt r open string harmonics and i can play 'em on 3rd fret, 4th fret and may b more places on my elec! :p depends upon the guitar. ;)
    and pinch harmonics and fretted harmonics r the same thing, man. my prob was i know how ta play 'em but can't get 'em out properly...:( i wanted some exercises or tips for it, ne ways thnx :) . i'll just practice more!

4. 6String_assasin

k... i'm getting 'em now... hehe...

5. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

Hold the plec at the edge.. Use good load of distortion and play a note.. Select only the Bridge pickups..

6. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

that stuff for me right now is a real hit and miss affair but they sound excellent. I find the 12th fret the easiest to get the harmonics out of, i find the 5th more difficult than the 7th as well.

7. jayanth

jayanth &lt;.: : Call Quits : :.&gt;

I can play a harmonic on an open string too.. he he.. Its just the Pickup which matter too..

8. 6String_assasin

open string harmonics r no probs for ne1 jay man... :p:
    fretted our tougher in the beginning... neways i'm getting 'em LOUD n CLEAR :) ....... weeeeeeheeeeeee!!!!
    this is cool! i'm playin 'em after every 2 notes! gonna play like Zakk some day! :nw:

9. jayanth

I meant i can play a scream harmonic on an open string. Not an open string harmonic.. Play the harmonic and use the whammy to get th OoOoOoOo effect..

10. call_of_ktulu41

call_of_ktulu41 New Member

uhm....
    evil inside..
    use a butt load of distort for pinching... i think it works best when you have a processor with distort... my friend tried it with a distort pedal...and it didnt work..
    and for all you guys out there without whammy bars or floyd roses or whatever....try bending beyond the nut..works just as fine..
    man geek talk....time for reassurement..
    Raining blood
    From a lacerated sky
    Bleeding its horror
    Creating my structure now I shall reign in blood.

ahhhhhhhhh slayer :rock:

11. jayanth

Slayerino.. Adios.. Works okish with a distortion pedal.. Nothing near a processor..

12. 6String_assasin

i have a processor.

i just thought i'll add these tips i collected to this thread..

3 ways to play pinch harmonics -

- Hold your pick with the thumb protruding slightly from the side, and pick the string, so the pick hits it, and your thumb then hits it immediately afterwards.

- Hold your pick with the index and thumb, and have your middle-finger stick out right behind. Picking the string with an upstroke should produce a pinch harmonic. (I mostly use this method, since i have an unusual way of holding the pick, and I find this convenient.)

- Place the side of your palm lightly over the point of harmonic resonance, and then pick the string. Or pick the string, and then lightly bring your palm down.