Linux Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by laneymaney, Feb 25, 2007.

1. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

Hey guys,
    Im planning on switching to Linux Ubuntu soon. Anyone using this OS. Please leave feedback about linux!

Thanks,
    Shreyas

2. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

Ubuntu is good as I have heard. But the live CD didn't work for me :(
    I was thinking of switching to it but couldn't install it from that CD and my machine bcame superslow....May b I dun hav the system requirements.... I suggest you using Xandros...It's a really good alternative to windows and can work with windows too!! The GUI is reaqlly cool and the features are also really good. Give it a try and let me know....It has two versions, one is open source free version and another one is closed premium version with a lot more features.... It can be downloaded through torrent network (legally and illegally :p:)...you can PM me if you have any difficulties downloading..

3. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Boo Sugata!

Ubuntu is a fine desktop, try the LiveCD before you install it. It works great has a huge helpful community and repos are quite complete. I haven't used it myself (I use SourceMage) but everything new has a guide on getting it done in Ubuntu :)

4. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

Get a Suse 10.1 ..

5. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

ive already got the latest suse...but i heard UBUNTU is easier to use

6. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

^Well .. Ubuntu can be (or rather is) annoying when it comes to mounting disk/cd drives ..

7. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

abbe! :mad: Atleast read the reply b4 doing that! :mad:
    Did I say it's bad?? I tried the LiveCD version and I could not install from it coz wenevr I tried to install, the machine "GOT HANGED" :p:....
    The Xandros did work for me and I woz able to connect to the internet too (BSNL sux though)....Dat's y I suggested it.....It's a gr8 1 for the linux newbies who don't know linux configuration scripts, kernel programming etc. Actually, it's the easiest linux available (not nessessorily the best)...

8. thehundredthone

Don't get mad!

A) If the user keeps switching distros based on his "experience level" he is going against the experience that he has. He should use his experience to adjust his distro as he likes. It's not like the config files are locked away, nor is it that they just have to compulsorily be edited.

B) If he's stuck at a junction, then he can always ask the community for help, there's just about 0 distributions that don't have help in some form or the other. But isn't self help the great thing about Linux? There never will be an "easiest linux", because each distribution caters to different types of users. There are plenty of n00bs using Ubuntu :)

I started with Red Hat, and I used to mess about with the config files to see how they worked. I barely used rpms then because dependencies were hell. I actually stuck with it till FC2, then got sick of yum, tried Gentoo, hated portage, moved on to SourceMage, and it's awesome!

9. born2tab

born2tab rhythm guitarist

Shreyas check out the Fedora core 6..Its the first 3-D OS from the Linux Stabe...It has got desktop effects which can show the desktop as a Cube ..too gud..
    And also the other new features are also kewl.

Do try that also.
    I have been using it for the past 4 months..no cribs till now:)

10. thehundredthone

^ Ubuntu supports Beryl/Compiz as well, and there's a comprehensive guide to getting it done. Bottom line, read some reviews and make your choice, you can always change :)

11. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

im gonna push it for somemore time....ill let u guys know when i change...

12. subheet

subheet Member

Well I have used Ubuntu - got the free CDs. It is nice & sweet but if your computer configurations permit i will advise you to use other advanced Linux OSs
    which are comparable or even better than Vista.
    Anyways the best thing about Ubuntu is the free shipment of cds.

And as notty-lad said it is qeite difficult to mount the NTFS file systems if you are using other Win based OS though I didnt face any probs in playing the cds

BTW laneymaney which OS are u currently using ??

13. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

Win XP Professional

14. zing

zing Machine Head

i was installing ubuntu for my bro n it hung his comp too... i've tried redhat & debian - liked neither n finally settled on slackware which imo is the best - i've heard knoppix is good too tho never tried it

15. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

+1

Actually Win XP home is better.
    It has some multimedia enhancements.

And you can play (nice) games on Windoze!

16. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

linux + crossover = windows over linux ...works pretty darn good ...and any lunix distro will do ..about ubuntu ..wait for the 7.04 version ..it comes with CNR (click n run ) service ..people who are familiar with linspire wud have heard of CNR ..its probably the easiest way to install apps in linux ..actually..it even beats windows in simplicity ..

if u cant wait ..get freespire (free version of linspire) ..the CNR service is now free ..and freespire looks and feels good ..

and for games ..i use transgaming's Cedega ..emulates DirectX in linux ...can play most of the good games for windows in linux

17. zing

zing Machine Head

hehe no wonder XP will be stopped in 2008 .... as far as micro$oft is concerned, satisfied customers are bad for business

18. Nouman011

Nouman011 New Member

I use Ubuntu, going to get the 7.04 version soon. Its good.