Linux-based music n sound distro !!

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by sixstringsin, Apr 5, 2006.

1. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

alpha1 and zing like this.
  2. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

What about the sound and the video drivers?? Is it preinstalled?

3. zing

zing Machine Head

hey thnx 4 th link man.......

4. light_of_erindi

light_of_erindi New Member

Why do most of the Linux Distros have a crappy GUI?...I mean it's nowhere comparable to XP...except for Redhat and Suse.

5. zing

zing Machine Head

6. Saptashaw

Saptashaw PRO Tabber

Guys, this is offtopic, but pls help: Which is better - Suse or Red Hat9?

7. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

..not too sure abt that -- but be prepared for some tweaking if u intend to use it!!
    i downloaded it yesterday and will chk out on my box soon!

@zing: have u ever tried recording with rosegarden?
    @saptashaw: rh9 is pretty old now i'd say go for suse10 *and* get a software update done from:https://packman.iu-bremen.de

8. Guitar boy

Guitar boy New Member

9. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

lol ... maybe ...beauty lies in the eye of beholder ..i find it verry verry $exy .. and beauty is skin deep :p:
    watever --- its a live distro u dont need to install it ...so itna sochne ka kya --- u may want to boot from a CD only when u need it ...bole to on demand business!

10. Guitar boy

Guitar boy New Member

:)

The main reason why i didn't like that screenshot, bcoz i saw something like voltmeter. I hv been using cubase/cakewalk, so i felt it musix interface, a bit odd.

But still, I will try it. I am waiting for others to comment if they have used it.

11. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

^^ agree with u here.. i dont expect the freeware tools provided with it to be as pro as cakewalk ...
    the voltmeter-like thing is a meterbridge
    https://plugin.org.uk/meterbridge/

and u can see the To do list includes:

12. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

Dwnlded it. It has a severe problem. If you run it, you won't be able to see any files on your hard disk(Alas! I cannot even play the music!). No problem with the sound and vdo drivers. The interface is poor and Right click does not work on desktop..
    Sound quality is excelent (Again! I can not even play the musics stored on HD:cry1:).
    Is there any tweak available to the problems??

13. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

yeah you donot see the hard disk files bcoz musix will not 'mount' it ((its not a severe problem ... its intended to be that way)
    a possible tweak here will be to:
    1. find out the device name of your hard disk
    2. mount it

for 1 run:
    dmesg|grep hd

>> u mite get somethin like /dev/hda1
    /dev/hda2
    in the oitput

now for 2 (mounting):
    create a mountpoint:
    i)mkdir /mnt/xp
    mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/xp

If the above command succeeds, then you can view ur hard disk files under /mnt/xp

hope that helps ...btw that reminds me i've to burn the downloaded image into a cd!

14. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

Thanx ...
    I will check it out.......

15. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Hey 6 string, just wanted to tell you that i finally got Fedora Core 5 up and running. Sound is working, net is working and yum is working...yummy.

16. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

sugata .. there's an easy way to get ur hard disk files listed:
    Just click on the desktop icon: 'mount all devices' :)

woww congrats dennis! :beer:

I installed musix and ....whoa ....it was much better than i'd expected! -- umm everything worked at first go: sound, video, tv and even bluetooth gprs. I'll post some screenshots ..this distro has a plethora of recording, editing, drums, keyboard, music notation, guitar tutorials/self-test tools.... i liked it to the extent that I over-wrote my SuSe10 desktop on the hard disk and installed musix persistently!

It has robust soundcard config tool -- supports multiple soundcard configurations at a time!!!!
    the negatives i think is: the distro is more of a spanish one ---so dont be surprised if you get some messages in spanish :) ...[to boot into english -- select english at the cd boot prompt...but still some spanish influence remains!]
    <<I'll post some screenshots ... later>>

17. rechts_234

rechts_234 New Member

interesting ..got to check this out ...

btw is this debian based?

18. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

^ yes its debian based