Line6 POD xt Live

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by alpha1, Feb 14, 2006.

1. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I want some comments and feedback on this thingie.

Abhijitnath, you are getting it in near future. Lemme also have some gyan on all the research you have done. (My mind is still flip-flop)

2. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

I suggest go to Line6 web and look at demo vids they're unbelievable. But they use a Variax and a Vetta to show that demo so it's probably not the actual sound. Other than that i've read mixed reviews , some saying its the best thing that came out all year and some saying its the worst thing that came out that year.

3. slash_i_m

slash_i_m Laid to Rest

that thing is a hottie if u can get ur hands on.

4. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

Looks good enough.

5. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Aah:).
    I've basically paid for it..it'll arrive soon.
    Pros: It sounds very very accurate on most models. Comes with 36 amps and 24 cabs built in, expandable to 74 amps and 50 cabs for $99 more. The cleans are as good or better than tube amps, the high gain sounds are killer as well (Meshuggah and Michael Romeo use this live and in the studio exclusively..ie no amps nothing, just straight into board.) I believe it sounds great into line ins or headphones or whatever but crap when plugged into the front end of an amp.
    80 effects, with some available pre-or-post (eg echo). Fuzzes and ODs are modelled well, reacting to the amps touch like the real thing does. The delays etc are stereo, such as the ping pong delay.
    USB interface and Editing software, so you can plug it into your computer and deep edit all the patches from there.
    Lots and lots of patches, tutorials etc available at their website.
    The firmware is upgradable via USB.
    There is a direct connection available for their modeling guitar the Variax.
    Cons: The effects are not routable with as much flexibility as a GT-8. You can only assign a OD to the first pedal, mod to the 2nd etc ie you can't have two ODs stacked in one patch.
    It has the usual digital problem of not having 'feel'..on a recording, it sounds pretty identical to the real thing but not necessarily when you're playing it. This varies from player to player, of course. It also suffers from fizziness on some patches.

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

OK
    Now lemme come out with my apprehensions.
    I have one processor. I have played around with quite a few processors.

I am not taht much concerned about tone etc.
    What am concerned abotu is the FEEL.

When you play stuff like BD-2, TS-7, Rocktron Silver dragon pedals you can make the tone distorted or cleanish by picking attack.

Same thing with rolling down the guitar volume knob.

Most of the processors are sitting duck in this regard.
    That is my biggest fear.

7. abhijitnath

The volume lowered cleanup happens on most patches...provided you set gain settings sensibly like you would on real gear. The problem is that most people dont use their processors like they do analog gear and expect the impossible. The picking dynamics is there too, but to a small extent. The Tonelab SE is excellent in that regard..but only for mid-gainy tone. If you need high gain, don't buy it.
    Honestly, I think if you want 1 or 2 tones that are yours, you don't need processors. Amp+pedals is the way to go. If you play in a covers band or you cover a lot of ground in your self-comps, the XT is excellent.

8. LEFTY_GUITARIST

LEFTY_GUITARIST -= M®. §öU†|-|ÞäW =-

itz gr8 man , tht thing iz hot!

try to dll some mp3s of fossils, its their ryth guitarists procressor

9. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Abhijit, d00d teh KORGs are not so responsive. Neither are Zooms.

Rolling down the volume only cuts down the treble in them. It is equivalent to rolling off the tone in normal tube amp or stomp box.

Lefty read my apprehensions first.

10. abhijitnath

Arre when did I say the Korgs are responsive? I said the Vox Tonelab SE is responsive among processors. Korg ka to naam bhi nahin liya.

11. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Its wierd That the korgs cant compare to the tonelab cause its basically the same technology. Since Vox owns Korg and is using the REMS technology in their Valvetronix amp series you'd expect the korgs to be a little better. They probably aimed the korgs as a budget multi fx and the tonelab to be the main one.

12. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Neh Abhijit,
    u said
    provided you set gain settings sensibly like you would on real gear. The problem is that most people dont use their processors like they do analog gear and expect the impossible​
    I took that to heart. And said that.
    </3
    Tonelab is probably responsive because it has a tube in it.
    Yeah I know one tube doesn matter so much.
    But I played Nebu's Rocktron Silver Dragon, which has one tube.
    Believe me it was helluva resposive. The main distortion is in the solid state circuit.

:p:

13. abhijitnath

Accha really
    Write down 5 or 10 tones you're after. Be specific. Write down your budget. Then we can discuss what is the best way within the budget to achieve the tone your need.
    Otherwise this thread will turn into a processor vs pedals thread.

14. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

ok
    I had teh following types in Mind:
    1. SRV (will listen to his songs once again to pinpoint)
    2. Jake E Lee in High Wire (Badlands)
    3. Van Halen (Aint Talking about love, You really got me, Human Beings, Fire in the Hole/Ballot or the bullet)
    4. John Petrucci (Another Day, Pull me Under, again havta listen more)
    5. Metallica (in Garage Inc 1)
    6. Ritchie Blackmore in Deep Purple (Highway star), Rainbow (Man on the Silver mountain)
    7. Jimi Hendrix in Purple Haze, Voodoo Chilf, All along Watchtower
    8. Dave Gilmour in "What do you want from me"

damn there are so many.
    But given a choice to limit myself i will take:
    1. SRV
    2. Jake E Lee
    3. Petrucci
    4. Van Halen

15. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Master Ronnie(read Yoda),we have lost another one to the Dark Side!

16. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

BD2 is amazingly responsive. I haven;t evaluated the stock one really well. The one I have is Keeley Modified. I keep the Gain at almost Full and I still can get clean to semi clean to crunchy overdrive just by using my volume pedal. I dont use the volume knob because of some stupid reason. When I got my guitar done, I asked him to put the volume knob so far away that I made it inaccessible while playing. It has a tremendous response to picking attack too. Last week when I was jamming with my band, I was improvising over some riff and all of a sudden, I decided to pick very softly and my band mates thought I switched off the distortion. It was that clean when I picked soft and that too with the gain being full. The distortion is also hard enough to play Deep Purple, Rainbow, some Black Sabbath ,etc...

17. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Hmmm, but then yours is not stock.
    It is a modded one.
    Besides taht pedal takes care of just one department.

But nice suggestion. Keeley BD-2 for overdrive.