Lesson : How to change the chords

Discussion in 'Hindi Guitar Tabs - Submit or Request' started by raga2303, Sep 1, 2009.

1. raga2303

raga2303 Member

Hey guys,

Personally I had lot of issues with chord changes and I see lot of requests from newbies where people have similar problems. So I thought of putting together my experiences for the newcomers to benefit from.

1. Take a metronome and set the tempo as 60 and play a 4 beat bar. (if you don't want to buy one, go online with https://www.metronomeonline.com)

2. Play following chords sequence once at the beginning of each bar (one downward stroke for each bar. Count 1 to 4 with each beat and play it each time you count 1 ). Repeat each sequence atleast 10-20 times

a)D---/A---/D---/A---
    b)C---/G---/C---/G---
    c)Am---/C---/G---/F---
    d)E---/F---/D---/E---
    e)C---/G---/D7---/D7---
    f)Em---/D---/Em---/D---
    g)Am---/G---/Am---/E---

3. Please ensure that each string is ringing clearly

4. Once you are comfortable playing at this tempo, increase the tempo to 70 and repeat the exercise,then repeat at 80 and then repeat at 90

5. Once you are comfortable at 90, once again set the temp as 60 and this time play twice in a 4 beat bar (Count 1 to 4 and play it on 1 and 3). It will sound something like this

a)D-D-/A-A-/D-D-/A-A-
    b)C-C-/G-G-/C-C-/G-G-
    c)Am-Am-/C-C-/G-G-/F-F-
    d)E-E-/F-F-/D-D-/E-E-
    e)C-C-/G-G-/D7-D7-/D7-D7-
    f)Em-Em-/D-D-/Em-Em--/D-D-
    g)Am-Am-/G-G-/Am-Am-/E-E-

6. Once again increase the tempo slowly upto 90.

7. Once you are comfortable, set tempo again at 60 and play it downward with each count (4 times in a 4 beat bar) and slowly increase the tempo

8. After playing it like this for few days, now once again set the tempo at 60 and start the palying combination of quavers. Try these simple strumming pattern:
    a) 1n2n3n4n
    D-DUD-DU
    b) 1n2n3n4n
    D-D-D-DU
    C) 1n2n3n4n
    D-D-DUDU
    d) 1n2n3n4n
    D-DUDUD-
    e) 1n2n3n4n
    D-DU-UDU

9. Now try playing following songs
    a) Summer of 69
    b) Do dil mil rahe hain
    C) Har Kisi ko nahi milta
    d) Leaving on a jet plane
    e) Dheere dheere se (play it in Em rather than f#m)
    f) Chura liya hain tumne

10. If you like the post, add to the reps

2. jam1

jam1 New Member

thanku very much dear............!

3. raga2303

raga2303 Member

More tips

1. If you feel that you are late in changing chords - it does not mean that something is wrong with your fingers. Just that your mind is still not trained to immediately change the chords. Hence it is a good idea to start thinking about upcoming chords, immediately after you switched to one.
    For example - in first sequence, while playing D-A continuously, the moment you have changed to D, start thinking about how you would position yourself for A chord. Start thinking how would you move your fingers.. Slowly chord changes will come naturally to you

2. It is a good idea to play the chords in arp manner.. pick each string one by one at a constant tempo and make sure that your tempo is maintained while changing the chord. I also used to move my fingers on upper string earlier than the lower string so that I can maintain the tempo. By the time I used to come to lower string, I would have got additional fractions of second to adjust.

4. palthestud

palthestud New Member

Thats a good approach actually..an another practice is to write down chords randomly on paper, for eg: G, Em, F#, D, Am7, Bdim, C#, etc and try to play them, they might not sound in melody but would give your fingers a thorough warm up and stretch.

5. raga2303

raga2303 Member

Audio lesson attached

Hi guys..

at last after struggling so much with the size limitation of this site, I could manage to divide my one wav file into 5 (4 more yet to be added, but the maximum file limit reached)..
    Hope you will find it useful.. do let me know anyway..

Attached Files: