left handed guitarist playin right(no pun intended).

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by rocksta, Dec 8, 2005.

1. rocksta

rocksta Live Fast Die Young

i am a lefty an am comfortable playin right handed guitar sofar..jus sum probs with strummin right now.sooooo..shuld i shift to playin a left handed guitar?wuld it make a difference?

2. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

No. If youre comfortable stick with it for two main reasons:
    1. You're using your stronger and more dextrous hand on the fretboard where movement is more important. Case in point: Mark Knopfler and Steve Morse are both lefties and play right handed.
    2. Finding left-handed guitars is next to impossible both in India and abroad. I found exactly 3 left-handed guitars at the Virgin Megastore in London which is one of the largest shops there. In India you have no choice but to get one custom made, although most shop owners will tell you to reverse the strings, this is impossible with guitars with cutaways and even on accoustics, since the bridge is compensated, your guitar will be out of intonation when you turn it upside down.

vini likes this.
  3. Theguitarist

Theguitarist New Member

It does matter much to reverse the strings.You always do that if u dont have a left handed guitar.Electric guitar with heads which have 3 turning keys on each side can be used as left handed guitar by reversing the strings.Pro's like Kurt Cobain of Nirvana used guitars with strings reversed.In electric guitars it doesn't matter at all to reverse the strings but in low quality acoustics there might be some trouble in good ones no trouble.

4. rocksta

rocksta Live Fast Die Young

ok thnx ppl dats reassuring,jus dat jimi played lefty an methought i culd follow his style ;)

5. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

The troubles Lefties have to face in this world.