Lateral Thinking

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by suchin, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Hardik

Hardik .:.:.:BoRn TaLenT:.:.:.

^^^lets say there are only 3 priosoners...me,dennis & bjr :p:
    i am the leader,who will finally declare the we all have entered...
    we plan that dennis and bjr will only switch "on" A if its off...if its already "on" then we leave it as it is and switch B...on or off..it doesnt matter.
    They have to switch A "on" only twice...and once its over,keep flipping B.

i will switch "off" A if its on and count one..(or if its off,i switch B)coz i know that when A is on,it means one of dennis or bjr has entered.
    but i dont know the initial position,..hmmmm....so if i am taken in first and A was "on",i can mistake it for someone entered.
    lets take this condition...so i enter first,switch A is on..so i switch B and count 1.
    the next time i see A "on",i am sure someone has entered..and i count 2.
    when i count 3,it means again somone has entered,but i am not sure if both have entered as the warden chooses randomly and it could be dennis twice or bjr twice....

but the 4th time i am sure that both dennis and bjr have entered atleast once coz they are flipping A only twice...and it has been flipped 4 times(so the doubt of initially "on" is also removed)....
    hence i declare that we all have entered atleast once....and thus we all are set free... :rule:

now work that out for 23.... :p:

2. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

dude..23 people!!!!hadh hai
    for me the funda is ki whatever happens, in the end the number of times people enter will be a multiple of 23...bah, but i still cant get a funda...mayeb im jsut too dumb ..hehehe

3. Hardik

Hardik .:.:.:BoRn TaLenT:.:.:.

^^lol...nope..its simple....when everyone is switching A "on" only twice,it means the leader has to count twice their number....in case of 23...the leader has to count till 44 & then he can declare that all have entered...