kind of lever near sound hole of the guitar making sound vibrate

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by ambush, Apr 1, 2005.

1. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

i have seen bryan adams
    and some other artists useing some kind of lever near soud hole of the guitar
    it made the sound vibrate what is it callled

2. aleric

aleric New Member

Whammy Bar???

Not sure.....The pros can help.

3. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

Some electric guitars have a tremolo arm or whammy bar, which is a lever attached to the bridge that can slacken or elongate the strings temporarily, changing the pitch or creating a vibrato. Tremolo properly refers to a quick variation of volume, not pitch; however, the misnaming is probably too established to change. Eddie Van Halen often uses this feature to embellish his playing, as heard in Van Halen's "Eruption". Early tremolo arms tended to cause the guitar to go out of tune with extended use; an important innovator in this field was Floyd Rose, who introduced one of the first tremolos which allowed the guitar to stay in tune, even after heavy use.

4. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

The term "tremolo" is actually incorrect, as tremolo is a variation in volume, where a tremolo arm actually creates vibrato, or variation in pitch. It is also commonly called a whammy bar as said by aleric ...

5. angel_of_sin

angel_of_sin bassist.....

Haha....funny to see ambush asking a n00bish question ( i know this thread is 4 years old)..............anyways dude what did you mean by sound hole???? all the jerks answered for an electric.....but electric doesnt have a 'sound hole'........

6. distorted

distorted satan

Evn i ws shocked till i saw the dates....
    ambush must b missing the feature of deleting one's thread... :D

7. distorted

distorted satan

N angel u r such a bastard fr embarrasing sumbdy lyk dis...

8. angel_of_sin

m not embarassing anybody........ what does whammy bar have to do with a soundhole???????? I though maybe ambush had a point.......i have never seen an acoustic with a whammy..........

9. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

But then what else other than whammy bar could it be?

10. angel_of_sin

where's ambush????? maybe he was confusing acoustic with electric????? but dude this has seriously caught my attention......can we whammy an acoustic??????