Kahler v/s floyd rose

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by distorted, Aug 10, 2009.

1. distorted

distorted satan

Discuss n pour in yr ideas... Wt ever u know abt these tremelos... Yr experiences... Drawbacks n advantages of each...

2. distorted

distorted satan

N cost of various models... Their availibility...

3. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

What be the point of specifically looking for a Kahler? Few guitars have them on...and Floyd is the unanimous king of the whammys...Just get a high end (say, Rs 40k+) guitar, and you'll be assured of a good quality thing.

This is all theoretical knowledge though...I'm no whammy expert.

4. Harsh Kumar

Harsh Kumar The Official IGT Jester

what exactly you wanna know??
    but still doing justice to the topic,

Kahler uses roller bridge, so your string can glide with almost no friction, henceforth returning to pitch everytime .

Floyd uses knive edges that give exact relief to your strings when bent and return ot pitch.

Knives being more accurate and the Floyd design is just a mod over the fender baseplate Floyd is more popular. The floyd rose manufactured by Schaller is considered one of the best and are made in Germany.

Dont buy cheap FR's, they will wear out UNLESS u maintain them, which Indians rarely do and complain that their FR is cheap and a pain in the ass.

FR requires to go through maintenance every 2 months or something.

It's not good for a first guitar when you cannot even setup a fender strat, but it's a great thing to learn for every guitarist.

Ppl with knowledge of general physics should not find it difficult!

---------
    What exactly you wanna know??

5. ultrabot90

Hey Harsh
    A couple trem questions if you'd please...
    1. https://www.theorylessons.com/stringing1.html
    D'you feel that's true?
    2. About FR maintainance...is that 2 month maintainance rule applicable to every trem (Kahler, for instance, or maybe non lockers)? And is it in the capacity of a user, or the estate of a luthier? o_O

6. distorted

distorted satan

thanks for answering... N i also wanted to know where can i get these bridges, i cud nt find them in banglore... I m not buying a new guitar.. M planning to change the bridge of my guitar once i get sum cash.... N as kahler has got less detuning problem, i ws thinking in its favour... Wts the approx cost?
    pls shed sum more light...
    Or shall i ditch kahler n look fr the more popular floyd rose?

7. Harsh Kumar

^If you wanna buy a bridge than go for FR's. Available at stewmac.com or at almost every store. Installing Kahlers are not easy.

FR can be installed easy if you know how to change the trem block than you can do it.
    n personally i think Floyd's are more stable than Kahler.

n ULTRABOT90
    Floyds are not meant for ppl who rarely use the tremolo, so i'll throw some light on it

<Reason #1 - stringlocks are designed to keep your guitar in tune which would be fabulous except for the fact that most tuning problems are a result of the strings stretching and not slipping on the tuning posts.>

Stretch your strings when you string them!! Than there wont be any problem of stretching, and slipping is the main cause of detuning during tremolo use, unstretched strings are a problem for all locking as well as open nuts.

<Reason #2 - stringlocks crimp the string, causing a weak spot in the string where you lock it. I am sure many of you have experienced strings breaking right where they go into the lock which is not a good thing. This happens because of the locks weakening the string where they are crimped, causing you to suffer more string breakages. >

I have never broken a string from nut position, Infact Floyds are better i break a string usually at the bridge and i can just loosten from top and reclamp the string, string reuse baby!!!

<Reason #3 - it is much more difficult to change strings when using these locks, and takes much longer. When you break a string on stage you need to be able to replace the string as quickly as possible, and the job is twice as fast without these locks getting in the way.>
    Everything good thing has a price man, so it takes more time, theres no arguing that, but it saves you the time of tuning your guitar everytime you play it!! I think it's worth it.

<Reason #4 - fine-tuners are great, when they aren't your only option. If you use stringlocks, how many times have you run out of adjustment on your fine tuners? When your strings are locked at the nut, you can't use your tuning posts. This can be a serious problem in the middle of a tough show where you have stretched out your strings enough so you run out of fine tuner adjustment. >
    You CANNOT TRY ALTERNATE TUNINGS, this is a big drawback but for the tuning the guitar is set for, IF PROPERLY INTONATED, you would never run out of fine tuners.

You can set the guitar for any 1 tuning, and that'd be great, if you wanna drop d, than block the trem or buy a "tremolo no" or EVH "D-Tuna", else just block it, 10INR mod thats it.

8. distorted

distorted satan

How difficult will be changing strings n changing tunings on kahlers?

9. flood

flood New Member

i think you'd be satisfied with an original floyd rose, which will set you back as much as the kahler. i have no experience with kahlers and gutiars with them installed ex-works are rare. however, there is a faction that swears by kahler.

the only reason i would actively consider kahler would be because they make bass trems!

if you google "kahler vs. floyd rose", your first results will be a 3-part youtube series that seems to tackle the question in depth. check that out.

10. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Fixed bridge rules.

11. angel_of_sin

angel_of_sin bassist.....

^ +1.............

12. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

^ +2.............

13. distorted

distorted satan

Yeah m happy wid my fixed bridge... But wanted to try out... Experiment... Experience...
    Newys, whr to find kahler in india... N wts gonna be the approx cost?

14. ultrabot90

+3
    Really.

And a bit of whammy is possible on a fixed bridge. Play a note, and bend the strings behind the nut, between the tuners and the nut. If your fingers are strong enough, passably bigsby-like vibratos are possible.

I don't really like dive bombs and sound effects and stuff. And most of music-oriented whammy effects are achieveable with a whammy pedal xD

15. Harsh Kumar

Dive bombs rule!! IF you know how to use em!
    else it is just noise!!

Fixed bridge is a different feel altogether!

nvr seen a kahler in India

16. Harsh Kumar

Dive bombs rule!! IF you know how to use em!
    else it is just noise!!

Fixed bridge is a different feel altogether!

nvr seen a kahler in India

17. metalmickey

metalmickey New Member

thanks for the thread distorted!!!.you know wat it means to me?.anyway HARSH atleast are the floyd rose available in india?.saw licensed FR in bajaao but got no clue how they'll turn out to be.the licensed costs around 5500rs.

18. metalmickey

metalmickey New Member

so harsh you from manipal?.my bro and sister in law are from there too.passed out in 2006.ms ortho and she her md o.g.

19. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Absolutely.
    Two names that comes to my mind -
    Tom Morello
    Dimebag

20. wylder

wylder Member

Funny that you mentioned it... I guess both use guitars with FR Bridges?