Kadhal Oviyam Chords

Discussion in 'Tamil Guitar Tabs - Submit or Request' started by kishmu, Feb 25, 2005.

1. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

The strumming pattern is

D U D U with the 3rd D muted
    x

the difficulty is to keep the pattern going during chord transitions. there shouldnt be no pause..

The tendency would be to ply like this during transtiotns.. say D to Gm

D U D - D U D U
    Dmaj Gm

the - is the pause where u skip the upstroke during transitions. ensure that never happens.

Jay

2. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

the transitions are what kill u in this song.. i thought DM7 would be a tough transition.. thankful its first chord after the interlude..
    the transition to Em6 and Bm to Dm6 is the toughest in the song actualy.
    odds are i would do Em and Dm in a live performance situation and hope the keyboard player would cover up for the 6.

Jay

3. andholanam

andholanam New Member

are you saying in a loose sense that you would give up on a chord to maintain the strumming ?

4. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

not loose but clearly..

u gotta maintain a constant groove.. u cant have pauses in your rhtyhm...

playing Dmaj on time is better than played screwed up DM7.

plus there would be others covering up for u.. keyboards,bass and vocals.

so substitute simpler voicings when needed.. thats the way to go.. say u want to play D9, but u know bass play is gonna play D , then u could substitute an Am there.. if it makes your life easy, thats the steely dan way.

my point with the DM7 was also that it was a DM7 +Ab note in one of the measures, kinda amruta varshini feel..

5. chichu9

chichu9 New Member

guys.. pls point me to a clearer version of this song.. I am listening to a crappy version on raaga.com.. cant pick some key bass notes.. pls help!!!

6. kishmu

kishmu New Member

Chichu - I found a good version in coolgoose

7. andholanam

andholanam New Member

Jay:

What you have suggested is already widely practiced in my opinion (with indian orchestras). while I agree to play a D if I cannot play a DM7, I should clearly know that I am indeed playing D "in stead" of DM7. To recognize that DM7 exists in the original is important to me. Not to be oblivious of it. The fuss is in knowing it and not in reproducing it on stage. But in the solitary mood and confine I will try to stretch my fingers to play DM7 and not be happy with a trite D. Of coure with high dosages of playing alone, DM7 will become "just another chord" I can play I believe.

8. kishmu

kishmu New Member

My guitar master (although I didn't learn guitar from him :) ) used to play chords in weird positions. He played them all, not even trying to substitute. It is possible. The trick as with any instru is to find the closest position. In keyboards things are bit easy.

9. kishmu

kishmu New Member

BTW any other "tough" song u want chords to? You make the effort. Lets see if we all agree...

10. andholanam

andholanam New Member

Kishmu - you throwing a challenge to all after the gash u suffered ? ;)

11. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

hey i played all chords exact.. except for playign Dm6 early.. but my point was.. I always have that plan B.

12. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

thats not the point I was trying to make. understanding the precise music is prime. Once you know what u gotta play, you can execute in simple elegant ways.

its like this.

we wanna play D9.. you play D major, I play Am, and we both play D9.
    we wanna play C#9 I play Cmaj and you play Ebmaj ..

U can do that if u r a band with many players. Thats what arranging is all about.

As a rhythm player of the band, i wont and shoudlnt be concerned about getting a 10 note voicing right.. and i cant as a guitar has only 6 strings. if you band has more than one guitarist/keyboard.. u dont need to play more than triads at all. one can arrange it that way. ofcourse playing 4 note harmonies might be simple, and the DM7 in the song is a good example, where the rhtyhm guitar sounds playing that.

But the Em6 and the Dm6 can totally be Em and Dm for the rhythm guitar.. in fact listen to my Em6 carefuly.. the 6 is uted.. i didnt play it clean.. but it didnt matter.. as the vocals took care of that. thats my point.

Jay

13. andholanam

andholanam New Member

that is very true Jay. agreed.

BTW, Kishmu - I think at least I will nto take up that challenge simply coz of the simple fact that you have a better chord decoding ability than I do :) IT is easy to discuss your chords since there will be only one or two controversial ones whereas in my case, the entire song may be a controversy :d

14. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

i think we should close this thread now :)

15. kishmu

kishmu New Member

Jay - agree with you.

Yeah maybe close this thread

andholanam - not a competition :) just improve your skills thats all...

16. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

17. andholanam

andholanam New Member

very nice voice. very pleasant.

18. kishmu

kishmu New Member

Cool! Nice voice.

19. ahfoo

ahfoo New Member

can you tabs for this song