Jumbo or medium/regular sized Guitar

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by neophyte, Apr 6, 2005.

1. neophyte

neophyte New Member

Hi all,
    I put this in the beginner's forum earlier, realised this might be a better place.
    Plan to pick up my first guitar, and also start learning. I have checked out some models , and have narrowed on some GB&A acoustics.

I was wondering that is there a specific advantage of picking up a Jumbo apart from the loudness. The medium/regular GB&A fits nicely in my budget, though I have seen most people pick up those large Givson Jumbo's when they start off , so was wondering if its worth paying the extra bit for a Jumbo . I seem to be comfortable holding both .

r/rajiv
    p.s. - its great to see ppl enjoying this as much I hope to ! :beer:

2. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

depends on ur choice - somtimes jumbos do get a lil uncomfortable - u seem to be fine with it and they are louder for sure.... how much more is it for?

as such u should just sit and play a while on each - all acoustics sound quite different - ull eventually like one more - play on each for atleast an hour - im sure the music shop will let u

3. neophyte

neophyte New Member

the medium is for 3.5k , the jumbo is for 5 k . Both sound almost equally good, at first hold , the medium is easier to handle , and some told me , it'll be earier to play lead on the Medium than the jumbo .......was just wondering ...apart from the cost and size is there any other reason why anyone would pick up a medium ??

4. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

random feel good factor - which makes u feel etter about urself! hahaha

its jsut a personal choice... its not particualrly hard to play leads on a jumbo sized acosutic (ura talking abt a bigger body and voice box right?)

as i said - jumbos tend to be louder

cant help u nemore