Jumbo or medium/regular sized Guitar

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by neophyte, Apr 6, 2005.

1. neophyte

neophyte New Member

Hi all,
    Plan to pick up my first guitar, and also start learning. I have checked out some models , and have narrowed on some GB&A acoustics.

I was wondering that is there a specific advantage of picking up a Jumbo apart from the loudness. The medium/regular GB&A fits nicely in my budget, though I have seen most people pick up those large Givson Jumbo's when they start off , so was wondering if its worth paying the extra bit for a Jumbo . I seem to be comfortable holding both .

r/rajiv
    p.s. - its great to see ppl enjoying this as much I hope to ! :beer:

2. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

go for a regular sized guitar if it suits u fine..
    just specify what ur budget is..so ppl out here can suggest u a guitar which they have played in that range and liked .

3. Addy Pant

Addy Pant Highway Star

Hey dude,
    Small guitars are for kids, man! Actually the Jumbo has a more bassy sound good for chords while smaller ones have a treblish sound. Just that you cannot access the frets after no 14. Plus its bigger to hold.
    :rockon:

4. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

jumbo of course. when you play both, u know the jumbo's better.

5. neophyte

neophyte New Member

I saw some nice GB&A guitars (korean ) , seem to be popular in shops in bangalore. A regular was around 3.5k , and a jumbo around 5k . Someone I was talking to mentioned , regular guitars are better to play lead , and jumbo's come in better for rhythm . The guitars I check out, have to say, the regular sounded as good as the jumbo , + not too much difference .....as of now i'd figure the 3.5 regular sounds a good deal, for a first guitar. :think:

6. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

see f-cuts are better to play leads as they have better fret access.
    jumbo still wont give u a lot of higher fret acess.
    depends on what u want.

gb&a is bhargavas own guitar brand...yes and they say that they are made in korea...ive checked out a few of their higher end acoustic guitars which are pretty decent..

i actually dont know what u mean by regular..
    regular as in a spanish guitar or a round hole with a body cut?
    anyway...3.5 seems like a good deal..

7. neophyte

neophyte New Member

well what I meant was that , its a medium sized guitar , with an air hole . I wonder if it be a better deal if I pick it up straight from Bhargava's ( the shop in Mumbai , i guess thats what u mean ) , instead of Bangalore . Any one have their number if I can call and check , and do they admit they make the guitars here ?! - 'n thanks for the gyan..

8. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

bhargavas--2641 1842,2643 9761