JS series custom guitar

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by sridhar11_2, Jun 21, 2005.

1. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

This is my second post since nobody replied the first one .I was very interested in the satriani guitar . Saw it from the front row in the concert and man does that baby look good. Well obviously i can't afford it so after hearing about this Tulsi custom everybody keeps talking about i thought why not get a replica done.

I just wanna know whether the guy can build the guitar to look exactly like the JS series guitar and can he also get the coil taps (i.e with the push pull pots and 3 way switch) and how much would all this cost.

(Seen the Ibanez price list? man 80k for the JS 1000)

Attached Files:

2. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

I just got my PRS copy made from Tulasi..here are some pics..
    https://indianguitartabs.com/showthread.php?t=10478

He should be able to make a JS copy.. about the specifics ie. the wiring and stuff..you will have to talk to him....BTW, are you from Chennai?

3. sridhar11_2

It looks Good but how does it play.I did'nt like the colour though. I'm from bangalore

4. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

the blue and black one rulez!!hey sridar, can you name that guitar for me pls.is it available readily or is it a customzed guitar?!i need one like that!

5. sridhar11_2

Sorry dude that guitar costs like 80,000(approx.).It's the Ibanez JS 1000 BTB(Burnt Transperant Blue)signature series (Joe Satriani) .If you could afford it i think it would be available in bombay where the ibanez dealer is.

6. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

haaaaa?!!:shock: 80000 bucks?!ok is it possible to customize a guitar by painting it BTB colour or so?

7. sridhar11_2

Here's some more pics for everybody to drool on

Attached Files:

8. sridhar11_2

I think the wood is burnt to look flamed and then there is transperant blue colour painted on to get that look. About custom painting it i think you'll have to ask someone who knows about that stuff. I dont have a clue how to get that colour.

9. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

yeah i going to furtados 2morow or day after n enquiring.i need that god aswome color made in heaven.i love that.i think even black with bright green does the work.

10. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

The woods used on high end guitars are beautiful hand picked ones.Those fantastic 'quilted' and 'flamed' tops you see are costly and sought after varieties of maple wood.You cant get a guitar to look like a flame or quilt top just by painting...
    The JS is made of basswood and has custom graphics painted on it..i dunno if anyone in India does that sort of paintwork...So,I suggest that drool all you want now,but dont be too diappointed if you cant get a similar looking guitar:p:

11. MetalisticPro

MetalisticPro New Member

Still drooling ....:sadbye::sadbye:cry1:cry1:
    i still have my sight on JS serious but hell yeh i cant buy it ..
    Still drooling.......

12. shak

shak Harrr!

i'll be honest, i dont like that at all!!
    loook at that !! its skinnier than paris hilton for God sake... .where would the sustain come from???? what about the warmth???
    not my flavour at alll .... i like big heavy jumbo wooden slabs with mighty p90's on them .. this is a like a mini in front of a caddy

13. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

im setting my eyes on them but not my money!

14. MetalisticPro

MetalisticPro New Member

@ sharuk dude .. what u mean @ where the sustain come from :S can u explain sustain please !!

15. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

JS1000 BTB has been discontinued elsewhere..except the asian markets......
    and i sincerely doubt that the new ibanez has coil taps.....the coil taps used to be there in the old JS series with the Lo Pro bridge
    the new ones with the Edge II ......i am not sure if they have the taps

16. shak

shak Harrr!

sustain comes from the guitar body,i dont know how .. but i think it has to do with the grain of the wood

17. sridhar11_2

Hey i'm pretty sure they still have coil taps . Only the JS 100 does'nt have them

18. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

the coil taps are/were there in all of JS series
    chek out ibanez ka support site...they have all the old models ka specs
    BTW the sustain.....i belive it depends on the density of the wood....not on the thickness.
    JS is basswood....i dont know how that affects....but listening to him on flying in a blue dream.....i reallly dont have any doubts about the sustain...the friggin sustain goes over like 5-6 bars

19. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Sustain does not depend just on the guitar,what about the pickups and kind of effects he is using, they are important too...and the whole body need not be thick, the important portion is the point where pickups and bridge are mounted..if you observe these portions of the guitar are decently thick..the sides are thinner,this reduces weight and adds a comfortable contour...

20. sridhar11_2

By the way the huge sustain that he gets on Flying in a blue dream is got by pointing the guitar's pickups at different angles at the amp. Amazing is'nt it.............
    Here's something i found on the jemsite
    Basswood:
    Basswood is a soft wood with tight grains. Its relatively inexpensive of all the usual guitar woods, and it’s easy on router bits in the factory, easy to sand, and easy to seal and finish. The softness of basswood means that sharp highs are dampened and smoothened. That helps offset the tinny sound associated with knife edged tremolo contacts. The softness also fosters a weaker low end. It’s light in weight, but not because of large pores. Rather it’s low in mass overall. Deep, breathy sub-lows aren’t resonated in Basswood. The reduction in these outer frequencies leaves the mids pronounced in a hypothetical response curve. Its very suitable for the typical guitar range, and very suitable for lead guitar, because of its pronounced “out front” sound. Complex overtones are muted along with the highs leaving a strong fundamental tone.

Production notes: Japanese factories like Ibanez seem to get a tan colored, more uniform Basswood while other Asian factories get a more flawed yellowish basswood. And there seems to be a big difference in tone. A clearer, darker Basswood should produce more sound, while the yellowish lower grade seems to have more of the undesirable tonal qualities of Poplar. A hardtail emphasizes the reduced dynamics of the outer frequencies.