Jerry Cantrell

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by Mr. Scary, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Bass-tard Child

Happens to be my favorite non death/thrash metal vocalist and songwriter (Tejas, THIS is the reason why I called you the "bigger Tool fanboy" I'm a big fan of Maynard, and also compared to Cantrell's lyrics, Maynard's might be more complex and deeper, but I was an Alice In Chains fan longer than any of the bands I listen to now :p:...perhaps Testament too ). Yeah alright, Layne Staley was an awesome vocalist, but in Alice In Chains, Jerry proved to be the real songwriter.

Also with his solo albums, the music is not that fast paced and technical but it never seems to fail in entertaining. Of course, I'll still perfer the AIC material. AIC used to one of my favorite bands before i got into heavier music, and they still are (R.I.P Layne)

I think what made Alice In Chains stand out from the other grunge bands was- Alice In Chains was alot heavier.

Any other Cantrell/AIC fans?

2. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

surprisingly no replies to this thread...

anyway......Alice in Chains and Soundgarden have to be my fav grunge bands.

3. CrYpTiC_angel

CrYpTiC_angel Rebelle!

i'm an AIC fan... only got into em recently though... :eek::

4. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

good....its good that u got into them...

5. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

I lurrveeee some AIC and can stand to listen to most of the other stuff
    Must be one of the few AIC fans who don't dig Dirt but love Jar of Flies/SAP and who have Unplugged in their top 10 albums. In fact its the best unplugged out there in terms of ambience, if not musical excellence.

6. tejas

tejas ..........

Yeah, I've always liked Alice In Chains. I do like Jerry's songwriting, however I think Layne was a better vocalist. I havent really heard his solo works though...I'll try to get my hands on them.

7. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Piece of trivia (trivium?:)):
    Chris DeGarmo of Queensryche plays guitar on Cantrell's album Boggy Depot
    Also Cantrell plays guitar on Danzig's Blackacidevil album

8. shak

shak Harrr!

@scary: how on earth do you remember all these names man!!! ... pheww .. some memory i must say .. and SOME knowledge .. in your own words .. you are ***!! haha
    now the topic .. no i aint a fan of AIC but i do listen to them when i feel like it ...

9. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

AIC..hmm, i partly like their stuff, yeah Rooster, Angry Chair etc etc are nice, but i do like their unplugged album a lot.

10. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Tried listening to Alice In Chains in my School Days. Some songs like Would, Rooster, Killer Is Me are kinda okay but somehow never liked the band. Couldn't find anything that could take my interest. I liked Stone Temple Pilots a lot and used to Dig Pearl Jam till their Vitalogy album from when they started taking a different direction.

11. guitarfreak_106

guitarfreak_106 New Member

I like Cantrell's guitar solos the one in 'man in the box' ... did I name it right?
    Among other AIC songs I like No Excuses, Rooster.

12. wolfblitz

wolfblitz New Member

jerry's solos have that brooding feel
    almost like his guitar cries
    and mike inez rocks[what a bass:referring to the acoustic bass he uses on would unplugged]
    layne's probably the best vox ever[r.i.p layne]
    my personal fav happens to be 'whale and wasp'
    sean kinney's work on the drums cant be forgotten