Is there a requirement for Customized Guitar and Bass Equipments in India???

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by matli316, Jan 5, 2011.

1. MHG

MHG New Member

Well what I meant to say was its *possible* to build stuff using garage electronics. And the output need not be shitty sounding either. Check out some vids of homemade distortion circuits on youtube. The circuit itself can be built pretty cheaply. Just that you can't make your own elclosure unless you mass produce it.

And yeah most of my points about wood were off the mark. But the idea I was trying to put forward was that it IS possible to develop the industry a step further than it is right now. That's all I am trying to say.

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Yes but economically it won't make sense.
    No margins + no volume = No business sense
    Low margin + low volume = shutter closed in few days

3. harmonizer

harmonizer The Son of the Moon

Oh we have customizers here too !!

I'm kinda involved in electronics from my childhood and did many experiments successful or unsuccessful ...

now I'm really interested in making amps n pedals...at least i want to try it for myself..

can some1 show me the 1st step for this ?? wud googling be enuf?

I'm a techie n already experienced in basic electronic things...i have all the tools required for electronic operations too...but 'practically' dont know abt tubes which r used in amps...

4. flood

flood New Member

there's no fault in being overtly optimistic, but i don't think you've really examined your idea properly. everything is possible; it only costs something. i'm fairly experienced at building circuits and amps, and have realized that it isn't a sustainable idea unless you have a primary source of income as well as a lot of money to invest. you've failed to disregard a lot of things, and here are just a few of them:

- cost of design, development, prototyping
    - cost of sourcing
    - cost of service providers, both in manufacturing and admin
    - cost of setting up and running a business
    - cost of defective goods
    - cost of service
    - cost of marketing and sales.

your comparison to japan is also deeply flawed because you're talking about a time when the financial relationships between countries were extremely different - keep in mind the post WWII condition that countries were still struggling with. also, around the time that japan started building effects pedals, the work quality had improved dramatically. the other HUGE factor you're missing - compare the number of effects pedal manufacturers then and now. pretty much everyone has a decent TS/rat clone on offer at a low price.

the chinese and koreans have swooped in and pretty much conquered the low budget area - biyang, belcat, artec et al are producing surprisingly decent pedals at stupid prices, and they are only getting better. pretty much all the big guys have shifted their production to the far east, or are getting things made for them on an OEM basis.

personally, i'm a fan of working on a low volume/high price basis and providing people with high quality and unique amps and effects, either tonally or aesthetically (or both). i don't want to put a stompbox/tube amp on every table - the big companies are doing that very well and very cheaply too. i'd rather do work that satisfies me without having to undervalue it.

5. MHG

MHG New Member

I guess you are right. I'm being overly (and overly is an understatement) optimistic.

But whatever may be, I continue to feel pissed at the abusively high prices we pay for stuff in India... Just wish things were easier on the wallets thats all :confused: