Is packaged guitar set cheaper or dearer?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by apray, Sep 6, 2006.

1. apray

apray New Member

Hi... I want to know whether it is a good idea to go for a package guitar set or buy the guitar, amps and accessories separately.

Specifically, I wanted to know which of the following will be a better deal:

Fender Squire SE-100 (Includes a Squier Stratocaster® guitar, gig bag, Squier SP-10 amplifier with switchable distortion, electronic tuner, strap, cable, guitar picks and Fender® instruction book) - for Rs. 16.900/-
    V/S
    Fender Squire Affinity Strat - for 11,200/-(and purchase of amp, cable, strap, picks and tuner serparately)

I'm not very familiar with prices of amps - I'll probably need a 10 or 15 watt amp to play at home. So if I buy that separately will it cost more or less?

2. Saptashaw

Saptashaw PRO Tabber

Probably more. But man, where do you live? Far as I know, the Squire Strat package is available for less than 14K.

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

If you are really just starting out, a packaged deal might be more convenient for you.

However, believe me, you will grow tired of your packaged deal within a short time. Especially with regards to tone and effects.

Better would be to go for Guitar, Processor, and an amp separately and ask for a discount on the total deal.

4. Bleeding Guitar

Bleeding Guitar New Member

ye Alpha is ryte bro ..
    if ur just learning and a starter to guitaring go for the Package as its more stuff u will get with it .. and as u learn u'll have a know how abt other guitars and amps which are better .. then u can alwayz use your old bags set of stings picks straps for the new guitar :) other is your choice
    Rock on
    Good Luck.

5. apray

apray New Member

Hey guys - thanks for your input. I have been playing lot of acoustic stuff, but not much electric (at least at home) - have played mostly on stage - so went with the stage amps and a simple monitor - so really dunno much about amps :)
    Hey Saptashaw - I live in valsad - thats' about a 3 hr drive from mumbai. The 16.9k price i mentioned was from Furtado's latest price list (they mailed it to me couple of weeks back. Can u pl tell me where i can get the strat pack for 14k (preferrably in mumbai)?
    Thanx!

6. Bleeding Guitar

Bleeding Guitar New Member

what gbuitar are u Xactly looking for ... ma friends are going to india am not sure but maybe i can send one for you from here .. do let me know maybe u will find it cheaper or i dun klnow lets just find out first

7. Quadrophenia

Quadrophenia Member

i dont know about the second hand shop situation in india but i would suggest second hand accessories!!, maybe u shud get a good guitar ..the squier affinity and get the rest of the stuff separately.

I dont know what your budget is like
    but for starting off you need a guitar lead and an amp!(guitar too of course!) -thats it! (thats what i did!)
    then later on you can buy an effects pedal (which has the tuner as well!) and you can buy your guitar strap etc etc..
    good luck do tell us what you decide on!

8. Saptashaw

Saptashaw PRO Tabber

Nope man. I don't know any shops in Mumbai. I'm talking about Calcutta price. It's 13.5 to 14K here.

9. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

@apray - I think its better to get a guitar from outside India as they would cost you less and in that way you can get a nice one too. Bleeding guitar might help you. Probably, you should contact him.

10. himika9

himika9 !!!WANNA B ROCKSTAR!!!

packaged deal is cheaper but if u buy evrything single its better!

11. apray

apray New Member

Got a Greg Bennet Avion AV3

Hey guys - thanx for the inputs. I've got myself a used Greg Bennett AV3 from a friend. Got it for 9k. Was surprised by the feel of this 'cheap' guitar. I played it along with my friend's Epiphone Les Paul and while there certainly is a huge difference, I didn't think the GB was too bad! So while I had almost decided on a Squire Strat, this vintage sunburst Les Paul design came my way and took my heart away. I'm kinda re-learning guitaring after a long gap so I guess this piece will suit me well for now - will get some killer axe once I start deserving one :)
    Thanks once again for your inputs!
    Ciao!

12. SG1

SG1 "Brown Jesus"

Congrats, Post some pics of your guitar.

13. apray

apray New Member

Sure - I'll be getting the guitar on Sunday... will post pics as soon as i get it!

14. SG1

SG1 "Brown Jesus"

Sweet, make sure u treat it as ur girl or i'll personaly kick ur alfa.
    got it?