Introduction To Rock

Discussion in 'Music Reviews, Albums, Biography etc' started by Bandbaaja, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Bandbaaja

Bandbaaja Pronounced Band Baaaa Ja

NOTE: This is a very personal view, additions / deletions WELCOME :)
    So you want to step out of the clichéd world of pop, rap, remix, hip– hop etc and you want to join the 'elite league of extraordinary gentlemen who listen to ROCK MUSIC'? Well, here are 22 albums in listening order (not chronological) complied as a step by step progress to attain a beginner’s certificate of entry to rock music. Once you finish this list, you will be open to hear other more 'exquisite' stuff.
    NOTE (for other ardent rock fans):
    This list is a blend of my personal favorites with some albums I thought should be placed in the list for sheer respect. I personally do not like listening to some of this stuff, but am including it as a step by step path for a beginner. HERE GOES…

2. Bandbaaja

1 to 10

1. Bryan Adams – Reckless
    A wonderful album to start off, each and every track is a classic.
    Adams had six songs topping US/UK charts including
    Summer of 69’, Run To you, Heaven, One Night Love Affair, It's Only Love, Somebody
    (Cannot recommend any more albums of his, just some more songs like Straight from the Heart, Cuts Like a Knife etc are worth listening to)

2. Bon Jovi – Slippery When Wet
    This is the album that made Bon Jovi a super band. Classic tracks include Let it Rock, You Give Love a Bad Name, Livin' on a Prayer, Wanted Dead or Alive, Never Say Goodbye
    (You don’t need to hear anything more from these guys, since you’re now going to step into real rock!!!)

3. Eagles – Greatest Hits
    Right, you have heard of them, and you’ve heard Hotel California some hundred times and some scooty ad you’ve heard was also some Eagles track? Yeah that was Take it Easy. That and several other classics (mostly ballads) from this album are cool. After they split, vocalist/drummer Don Henley and guitarists Glen Frey, Don Felder and Joe Walsh had pretty successful solo careers, but nothing could beat their success together, hence they reformed and released Hell Freezes Over which proved a super hit yet again.
    (For albums, Hotel California, One of These Nights, On the Border & Desperado can be worth a try)

4. Dire Straits – Brothers in Arms
    How can a rock list be complete with out mentioning Dire Straits? A band loved by all, be it a pop listener, a jazz enthusiast or a hard rock fan. Dire Straits is the brainchild of lead singer / guitarist Mark Knopfler whose easy flowing songs with almost essay– recital type singing backed with amazing guitar interludes form a completely new form of music. Brothers in Arms had the chart toppers Walk of Life, Money for Nothing, So Far Away and Why Worry.
    (All their albums are classics: Dire Straits (debut album) with the evergreen Sultans of Swing, Communiqué, Making Movies, Love over Gold and On Every Street)

5. Police – Synchronicity
    The Police became the stepping stone to singer/bassist Sting’s amazing music career which has only seen growth, and as we read this, will keep growing.
    Synchronicity is a fine bridge between their earlier reggae– rock albums and chart topping pop songs. Every Breath You Take, King of Pain and Wrapped Around Your Finger are the highlights from this album
    (Recommended albums: Reggatta de Blanc, Zenyatta Mondatta and Sting’s solo albums like Dream of the Blue Turtles and Nothing like the Sun)

6. U2 – Joshua Tree
    U2, along with REM is amongst the earliest traces of alternative music to emerge from the post– punk era of the 80s. Joshua Tree is the band’s highest career point and contains classics like With or Without You, Where the Streets Have No Name and I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For.
    (Recommended albums: October, Boy, War, Unforgettable Fire, Rattle & Hum and Achtung Baby)

7. The Beatles – Abbey Road
    If you’re wondering what Beatles is doing here in this list, chances are that you haven’t heard this album at all. It is one of the first psychedelic concept albums ever made and has clear indications of LSD influence in their writing and compositions. Here comes the Sun, Come Together, Something, You Never Give Me Your Money etc are the classics from this album.
    (If you liked this, you can try other albums of Beatles post 1967 like Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, Let It Be and The White Album)

8. Doors – Greatest Hits (compilation)
    Well if you haven't yet heard the classic Roadhouse Blues, go and get it NOW!! This album is also for the dudes who have only heard that one song.
    The Doors were Jim Morrison with his deep voice and refined poetic lyrics accompanied by guitarist Robbie Krieger, keyboardist Ray Manzarek, and drummer John Densmore. This double album contains most of their basic hits including Light My Fire, Break on Through, Crystal Ship, Love Me 2 Times and many more...
    (Other recommended albums include Soft Parade, Morrison Hotel, An American Prayer, Waiting for the Sun, The Doors, And Strange Days).

9. Pink Floyd – Dark Side of the Moon
    This is the best album to start off with, if you haven’t ever heard the band.
    The ideal way to listen to this album is in the evening, with lights out and high volume (not blasting) Please do not skip tracks; This album along with many other Floyd albums are concept & theme based, so the tracks flow from one to another.
    (Once you finish this you can try the other albums like The Wall, Meddle, Saucerful Of Secrets, Umma Gumma etc.)

10. Jethro Tull – Aqualung
    Very few people must have heard of this band, but Jethro Tull has toured India twice and is fronted by the charismatic Ian Anderson who sings and plays the flute and guitar apart from several other instruments. Though my favorite album is Songs from the Wood, Aqualung has proved to be the best selling album for Tull, and contains the classic songs Locomotive Breath and Aqualung.
    (Other albums – all are unique and different: Thick as a Brick, Songs from the Wood, A, Stormwatch, Benefit, etc)

11. Santana – Abraxas
    Santana as a band proved to be the primary source for combining Afro– Cuban rhythms with hard rock. Led by lead guitarist Carlos Santana, the band first appeared live at the Woodstock and since then there’s been no looking back,
    Abraxas includes the classics Black Magic Woman and Oye Como Va.
    (My recommendations include Santana (1), Caravanserai, Santana (3) and Shango)

3. Bandbaaja

12 to 22

12. Guns n’ Roses – Appetite for Destruction
    Though I don’t like this band very much, G n’ R deserve credit for their fantastic debut album Appetite for Destruction, which was a superb way to revive classic raw energy rock amidst the Pop era of the late eighties. With 4 evergreen singles like Welcome to the Jungle, Paradise City, Mr. Brownstone and Sweet Child O’ Mine, this is a welcome album in my list.
    (Other albums include the well appreciated Use Your Illusion 1 & 2)

13. Aerosmith – Pump
    Aerosmith, the band that clearly inspired Guns n’ Roses and the likes, were very popular in the 70s for their new raunchy swaggering style of music which was trendsetting. Pump released in 1989 showed the same power and aggression as their 70s albums like Toys in the Attic & Rocks. An instant hit in US, this album contains Love in an Elevator, Janie’s got a Gun, The Other Side and the trademark power ballad What It Takes.
    (Album recommendations: Rocks, Toys in the Attic, Permanent Vacation, Get a Grip)

14. Deep Purple – Deepest Purple (compilation)
    Deep Purple, along with Black Sabbath can be credit to be among the first bands to start HARD ROCK. Progressive rock, with patent guitar sounds, riffs that will become eternal, lyrics about fast cars and knights and warriors and demons and space, wow you must listen to this album.
    The band has gone thru several line– up changes, but this album features songs from two of their best lineups – Mark 2 with Ian Gillan on Vocals, Mark 3 with David Coverdale on vocals. Each track is a gem, listen to all!!! Incidentally my first true album in rock was this.
    (Great albums include Black Night, Machine Head and the latest Bananas)

15. Led Zeppelin – IV
    Then God said “Let There Be Heavy Metal!!!” and lo and behold Led Zeppelin was formed in 1968. Out of the remains of the highly acclaimed Yardbirds (which featured Eric Clapton in their earlier lineup), and resurrected by lead guitarist Jimmy Page, Led Zeppelin would become the first band to combine the forces of blues with distortion guitar; a genre that would soon be defined as ‘Heavy Metal’.
    Radically titled with 4 Symbols, this album contains the legendary immortal eternal classics like Stairway to Heaven, Black Dog and Rock n’ Roll. My other favorite track in this album is Misty Mountain Hop.
    (Led Zeppelin is one of my most favorite bands of all times and I recommend each and every album they have recorded and they are: Led Zeppelin 1, 2, 3, 4, House of the Holy, Physical Graffiti, Presence, In Through the Outdoor and Coda)

16. Iron Maiden – Somewhere In Time
    Another one of my favorite bands, Iron Maiden gave the term Heavy Metal its true meaning right from the word go. With twin leads by Dave Murray and Adrian Smith and piercing strong operatic vocals of Bruce ****inson, the galloping bass and compositions of Steve Harris and the gripping drums of Nicko McBrain, Iron Maiden is any budding heavy metal band’s dream line– up Somewhere in Time is a great album to start off with, including great tracks like Caught Somewhere in Time, Wasted Years and Heaven Can Wait.
    (All their albums are outright classics including Number of the Beast, Powerslave, Piece of Mind and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son)

17. Van Halen – MCMLXXXIV (1984)
    Did you know that the awesome lead guitar played in Michael Jackson’s classic song Beat It was by this super– guitarist called Eddie Van Halen? With his band, Eddie Van Halen redefined how to play the electric guitar with his self– taught techniques of tapping, hammer– ons, pull– offs and incredible sound effects. 1984 is perhaps the band’s best recorded album ever and it was their last fling with fellow vocalist David Lee Roth. If you’ve seen the flick Back to the Future, Michael J, Fox uses this album beginning to frighten his father (in the past) with UFO sounds. That apart, songs like Jump, Panama, I’ll Wait and Hot for Teacher are fresh and demand repeated listening.
    (Since I personally also like this band, I would recommend all albums but as a must– hear set goes here are a few: Van Halen (1), Women and Children First, 5150, and For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge.

18. Ozzy Osbourne – The Ozzman Cometh (compilation)
    I’ve deliberately put this album in the list, and not included the band Black Sabbath, because this compilation features a few tracks of Black Sabbath as well. Paranoid, War Pigs, Crazy Train, Mr. Crawley, Bark At The Moon, Mama I’m Coming Home, No More Tears, the list is endless.
    (Recommended albums: Blizzard of Oz, Diary of a Madman, Bark at the Moon, Tribute to Randy Rhoads)

19. Judas Priest – Pain Killer
    If you want to experience sheer power of dual lead guitars, double bass drums, screeching vocals, and shredding bass lines, Pain Killer is ‘The Album’. Suddenly out of nowhere, arrived a new revitalized Judas Priest, with new sound, new style and surprisingly the same old lineup. Songs like the title track Pain Killer, Night Crawler, Touch of Evil and Metal Meltdown, are the highlights of the album.
    (Other albums I like are: Ram it Down, Hell Bent for Leather, Stained Class, Sad Wings of Destiny, British Steel, Point of Entry and Screaming for Vengeance)

20. Metallica – Metallica
    Another not– so– favorite band of mine, but then Metallica cannot be ignored. This was a ground breaking album with great sound engineering & new low sounds never heard before. A must have album to complete this list, this album includes classics like Enter Sandman, Sad But True, The Unforgiven, Nothing Else Matters and Wherever I May Roam.
    (Other albums worth a hearing are Kill ‘Em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets and …And Justice for All)

21. Nirvana – Nevermind
    An album and a band that I don’t like at all, but then when we speak of Rock, Nirvana had a huge, huge fan following and after Kurt Cobain’s shocking suicide, the band’s music became more popular. Don’t feel like writing anything else here, just listen to the album, maybe you’ll like it. Though many think that alternative music started with Nirvana, I would rather credit REM for that. Please don’t mind.

22. Pearl Jam – 10
    Pearl Jam is another band that I don’t like, but Ten is a real nice album and was among the primary albums that made the Grunge & Alternative genre more popular.

That’s it then, but please note I’ve left out a few hundred bands and a few hundred albums which I regret myself, but then I guess 22 are enough to kick start your own research on this beautiful subject. Some acts I personally like but are not mentioned here are Rolling Stones, The Who, Cream, Uriah Heep, Yes, Emerson Lake & Palmer, T-Rex, Supertramp, Black Sabbath, Grateful Dead, Credence Clearwater Revival, Jimi Hendrix, Wings, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Queen, Rush, Steely Dan, Traffic... Long live Rock n’ Roll

4. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

very good thread indeed , bandbaaja - thread will be moved to music talk !!

5. Bandbaaja

thanks !!!

6. tejas

tejas ..........

Nice list. But the order confuses me. How can nevermind come after Led Zep IV, Somewhere in time, and Pain Killer? People are more likely to get into Nirvana before Led Zeppelin or Iron Maiden. Same with Pearl Jam. They should follow Nirvana.

7. shak

shak Harrr!

good choice but a bit toooo nostalgic dont you think??...(well they were the masters no denying that!)

8. Bandbaaja

Of course I knew that most replies I get will be from rock fans - rather than the dudes to whom the post was intended for.

- Tejas, the order is only upto #20, Nirvana and Pearl Jam are included more in a chronological sequence to depict popularity of the grunge and alternative genre.

- Shahrukh, the idea is to introduce people to REAL RAW ORIGINAL ROCK MUSIC, so its obviously going to be nostalgic

And I feel there is TOOO much of the old music that still remains to be appreciated by us, and am not a personal fan of new music like RATM, AUDIOSLAVE etc. which is why ...

9. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

very good man.....bandbaja!

10. Bandbaaja

thanks fictional real

11. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Very nice thread, brought back memories.......:)

12. Bandbaaja

thank you all
    it did take some effort to write
    good to see the rewards :)

ROCK ON

13. shak

shak Harrr!

agree...bandabaja...but i think you should definitley make some space for our old buddy... jimi hendrix there..the jimi hendrix at woodstock album and the rainbow bridge album will surely rock a new comers world!!

14. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Huh??? U mention rock without mentioning KISS??? Def Leppard???

15. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

& What bout Sabbath??? THey own Metallica's @$$

16. Bandbaaja

Yes I have missed out Def Leppard, Kiss, and Jimibhai
    Its not deliberate at all, but if you see my concluding para, I have mentioned some of these names. In fact I have left out a few of my personal favorite bands like Rush, ELP, Yes, Supertramp, Queen, Steely Dan, Hendrix and Black Sabbath as well, but this thread is termed as INTRODUCTION TO ROCK, and maybe I'll have a followup with these more exquisite people later...

Asmodeus,
    Read my para on Ozzy...

Thanks

17. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

well its indeed a nice try from you ;)

18. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

why pearl jam at the bottom
    you have it mixed up
    beatles ,zepplin,floyd should come lower

19. guns n roses

guns n roses Pro Guitarist

isnt this list from vh1 i swear there was a list like this. Im not complaining i love your list. I got exciting after number 12. YOu added GN'R and i gotta thank you for that.

20. JAZZ

JAZZ New Member

well i was readin the mag GUITAR WORLD.........
    it said Led Zep was true modern rock band.....
    and bands after them followed their sequnces and instruments........