Intro to my gear

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by god_of_thunder, May 1, 2005.

1. god_of_thunder

god_of_thunder Livin After Midnight

Guys ...
    Im a new IGT user and own --->
    A blue SSS mexican strat

am planning to get either a Korg Ax100G or a RP-200
    The Ax100G is for 5 grand and Rp-200 for 6 grand

I mainly wanted to play Rage against the machine and metal of all kinds.. so which one should i go for?
    Thanks

2. jackdaws

jackdaws New Member

i have the Toneworks (Korg) AX1500G processor...its pretty good, especially the distortions and the amp simulators are quite good...so check that out

3. rust_in_pain

rust_in_pain <:Rising Rockstar:>

but ax1500g comes for 15k right?

4. jackdaws

jackdaws New Member

hmm...if u buy it on musiciansfriend it comes for USD 199...i dunno if they ship international and if yes what the shipping costs are...

5. rust_in_pain

no websites ship to india (as far as i know)
    and here we have to bear the taxes.

6. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Check out www.music123.com . They ship it to India and is a reliable site. Shipping to India is a bit risky.
    I bought my AX1500G for 5.5K (Raw Deal :) )

7. rust_in_pain

hey ronnie ,did u buy a second hand?
    btw,wat r the shipping charges(i hope its not as much as the product itself!!!)

8. ronnieanand

Shipping charges depends on the type of shipping. Sometimes it gets as expensive as the product itself depending on the cost of the product. For pedals, the shipping was about $30.

I bought my AX1500 used but it was maintained as brand new. Anyway I didn't like it much. I haven't come across a single processor that has a warm and very tight sound. I have checked the high end models of Zoom, Digitech, Korg and Boss (except GT8). Didn't like any of them.

9. rust_in_pain

u didnt liked gnx4?

10. ronnieanand

GNX4 was just loud sharp distortion. There was no warmth in it. The notes weren't very tight either. Maybe for extreme Metal, where you dont care much about the tone, GNX4 is great. In that case GT6 was okay. The pedals they model were also quite close to the originals. I could compare it because at that time, I had the original pedals too. Just a personal preference. I have a Boss BD2 which gives me a real good overdrive for the Rhythm playing. Now I have done a Keeley Phat Mod on it. So it's going to get way better than before. For Lead, currently I have a Carl Martin Boost Kick Clean Boost, which increases level and gain required to cut through. I couldn't find such a warm overdrive in any of the multifx. For distortion I have an AMT Fatal Tube which gives a real tube kind of distortion. It has very good gain, sustain and loads of tone. I can use the Clean Boost with this too to get a good solo sound. Just waiting to get a recording setup and then I can load the solos and samples play through this set up.

11. rust_in_pain

the sound of a pedal will alsways b superior but everyone cant afford to have them.

12. ronnieanand

I dont think so. For all the practical purposes, you require a distortion, a clean boost, delay, chorus and wah. All these put together cost less than a new GT6 or other processors of the same calibre. I think people are just scared without actually attempting. By the way, it could get pretty costly too if you dont buy the right ones.

13. rust_in_pain

but for advanced players?like in gt-6 we can use 13 simultaneuos effects and there are abt 100(i guess) to choose frm.

14. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Dude..no matter how advanced u are u aint gonna need **** like cry, pedal shifters etc. if u plan on paing "normal" songs(not Rage against the machines or Vais crazy stuff..hehe ).

Anyways Ronnie...where da fk did u try out these pedals, as in before buying em.
    I was planning to get a Keeley Modded MT2 but since im pretty sure that no one i know owns one , im kinda in a dilema as to whether to buy it or not.(Im ,looking for the thrash metal sound).

Secondly, how does the shipping funda work..do they ship the pedal straight to my house, or do i have to pick it up at the airport, pay customs etc... Do ignore my ignorance here .

Thnx

15. ronnieanand

Hey Rust,
    Again for all practical purposes, I dont think you require 13 effects to be simultaneously used. Multi-Fx are sure advantageous over the single pedals in terms of ease of use. But the Multi-Fx pedals are not that great sounding. If I were to buy a Multi-Fx, I'd buy a Rocktron Prophesy. It's a Multi-Fx rack. Lot of artists use Multi-Fx racks but nobody uses these processors.

16. ronnieanand

I didn't try out any before I bought them. The first time I bought pedals, I just went by Brand Name like Boss, etc... They are all load of ****. Then I did an extensive research about the pedals and also checked out a lot of other companies, plus mods and also boutique pedals. The result was my new set of pedals. I am sure you guys would be impressed with the sound I get. The Boss and other **** dont even stand close. I spent a lot of money on these and that's another story altogether. Now I guess I can become a Pedal consultant ;) after this exercise of getting pedals and also the amount of research that was done before ordering these.

Boss MT2 is a pedal with very high gain and a lot of sustain. The draw backs are poor tonal response and lack of mids and lows. It's super trebly. The Keeley or Analogman mods basically tries to remove a lot of the harsh high end plus also add a bit of low and mid to it. Also the tone knob becomes responsive after the knobs. Inspite of these mods, they still lack a good tone for lead work and also not enough bass or mids. If you are looking at Keeley mod MT2, then consider for your Rhythm work. For Lead, you could add a Germanium Fuzz or a Clean Boost in front of it. Even a tube screamer or any low gain overdrive would be a great boost for lead. If you use another high gain in conjunction, it might saturate a lot and get into plenty of feedbacks and also will get unusably noisy.

17. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

ok...well pedal consultant..help me out here:

Basically im going in for a gear upgradation, heres what im planning to get:
    1. A Jackson DXMG
    2. That 5000 buck marshall amp(DFX) [Indian, i can expect someone to bring a fking amp along :p: ]
    3. A Keeley modded MT2

Basically im looking for a thrash/heavy metal sound(metallica/megadeth etc.) ...ill be doing a lot of lead work, so i am looking for a good metal lead tone.

Thnx

18. ronnieanand

Keeley Mod or Analogman Mod Boss MT2 are pretty okay for those heavy Rhythm Playing. The sound is also good but not fat enough for solo playing. Another thing is, when you switch on from Rhythm to Lead, how do you boost your volume. You could either buy a clean boost or a low gain tonal overdrive pedal or even a volume pedal which has the provision of a minimum volume. I have a Carl Martin Boost Kick Clean Boost which will boost my volume upto 12dB and also I can fiddle with the 3 band eq to fatten up the sound. In your shoes I'd consider AMT Diststaion or Tech21 Sansamp too. They are extremely versatile. AMT Metallizer also is a great choice. Rocktron Silver Dragon is a tube distortion loaded with 12AX7 tube. It has a great distortion too. Options are plenty.
    I'd suggest not to go for the DFX. Even though it has a lot of effects, they are not foot switchable, so it doesn't add much use for jamming. Just a bedroom amp with effects. Rather get small head if somebody can bring it along for you. Get a 30W solid state head. It shouldn't cost much. Maybe just 5K to 7K and get a pair of 12 inch Celestion Speakers. You'd get both of them at around 6K. Get some local electronics guy to make a cabinet and put these speakers in there. You will have a terrific setup. Might cost you about 12K for the whole setup but will be worth it. The distortion will be pretty decent from the amp. You could just buy a boost pedal instead of investing in pedals. But your overall cost would remain the same. I wanted to do the same but I couldn't get anybody to carry the amp for me. You could even gig with this stuff.

19. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

yeah..i know about the footswitchable part...tell me is it practicalble feasable to tell someone to bring an amp head(as in weight wise etc.)
    secondly i was going through music 123..dude the cheapest is a behringer and its for 200$!!..that s 10000 bucks...just for the solid state! :O:
    even the cabinets are priced above 200$

20. ronnieanand

Dont buy Cabinets. Just buy the Celestion speakers alone. Get the cabinet done at your local music store. For the head, look at 30W model. Dont look at higher watt ones. I have seen for $100 to $120. I dont remember the store.

Or easier way out is to get your MT2 modded by Keeley and get a simple clean boost pedal for your lead. Check out TC Jauernig Model T for the clean boost. It's pretty cheap compared to others. Getting the the amp head could lead to some more expense at the customs. Instead of MT2, look at AMT Metallizer. A really great pedal and really versatile. You'd be really satisfied with it. I am a big fan of AMT pedals. I own their Fatal Tube and California Sound. Sometime maybe I will buy their Tube Platinum.