Internet connection woes

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by bjr, Sep 27, 2008.

1. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Why does Bombay suck so much at providing decent internet service.

In Calcutta, 2 years ago I had a 512 Kbps unlimited download connection where I used to pay Rs. 800. I thought that was expensive.

In Bombay I have a 192 Kbps unlimited download connection and I'm paying Rs. 750. This connection also sometimes decides to get disconnected for 10 sec intervals effectively breaking my downloads of games (I mean p0rn obviously).

So, does anybody in Bombay give me a better deal than this. I really couldn't find anything. MTNL charges Rs. 2500/ month for a 256 kbps.

I'm willing to pay a maximum of Rs. 1000 but I don't want any restriction on bandwidth.

Help.

Go.

2. augur

augur I love bjr

You're screwed. I have the Night Unlimited MTNL plan for 849/- per month. 2mbps = 200-220 kbps download speeds. Good enough for me.

*edit* You get 1.25 gb per month free during the day.

3. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

hmm, that's not a bad deal. In the worst case scenario, I could go in for that.

How long does it take to apply and get this connection thingy?

4. augur

augur I love bjr

It's mtnl. 1 month if you're lucky.

5. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Do I have a choice?

hmm, how about if I take the unlimited plan first. That way you dont have to queue for a connection. Then one month later, I switch to this 849 thing. Do they allow that?

6. augur

augur I love bjr

No priorities. Unlimited plan is the same as any other plan. Just bribe the local telephone checker guy or something.

7. elfascinating

elfascinating risqué

Time based plan of Tata Indicom works best for me.

- Speed: upto 2mbps
    - No download capacity
    - Rs. 3500 something for 360 hours.
    - happy hours 9pm-9am free (would not count in those 360 hours but additional 200/month or so bucks)
    - I always get around 210-250 kbps download speed.

It is a great plan because in the end u get 2 mbps speed at Rs. 9 per hour and if you activate night plan .. then it's an end to all your worries.

If you could find this plan in your area you're lucky.

8. sukrut

sukrut God Guitarist

well i have the BSNL broaband......i have a 500 (some letter) plan.........unlimited download in the night (works for torrents and pon d!)....2mbs (or so they claim! works till around 500kbps)..daytime 1.5 gb........it works for me

9. augur

augur I love bjr

The Tata one sounds good... but bjr's Bengali. He'll probably threaten them if they come anywhere close to his house.

10. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

wha? Why am I bengali?

11. augur

augur I love bjr

Calcutta = Bengali

Maybe you're not Bengali but being from Calcutta you are Bengali.
    Get it got it good.

12. anshphenomenon

anshphenomenon Rape me :boff:

MTNL night unlimited(590 NU) in delhi(which i have) costs 649(modem charges included).

@topic.
    MTNL hai to sahi hai.
    i absolutely love my connection.

13. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Here in Pune there is a Tata broadband plan where you get 384 kbps unlimited for 1K.
    Sify gives 256 kbps for about 1K, and 128 kbps for 800.

Check their respective websites ...

14. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

I am on Hathway Internet..256Kbps Unlimited download for 730/- a month

15. sanju_strings

sanju_strings 50 Pai$e <3V/S<3 50 CeNt$

hathway provides u alot of option ....

try i would suggest & stop winging about evrything in your life mate atleast now you are in mumbai :beer:

16. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

haha, well...I'd suggest you stop being bitter about having being snubbed on the internet 2 years ago.

As for at least being in Mumbai, I dislike it. Not intensely but still enough to want to leave.

and where've you been this last year or so?

17. CARLOS SANTANA

CARLOS SANTANA New Member

worst of all...i'm using hathway speed 64kbps dont laugh..costs rs613.will switch over to mtnl the next month or upgrade.few sites takes 2minutes or more to load. it hanged during the board results and sms came before the webpage.

18. aniketdave

aniketdave aniket

HAHA!!

Mere Mortals!!
    We have LAN in our hostel.
    it has a 100 MBps shared connection for some 200 odd rooms..
    :grin:

And since everyone isnt downloading all the time, we get regular download speeds in excess of 2 MBps from Internet!
    :p:

(and that does not include the Hundreds of Movies, games and POORN shared on LAN)!!

:grin:

19. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

yeah but you live in a hostel with 200 other males most of whom are dorky.

that is an automatic fail.

20. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ Bwahahaha.
    Pwned.