Info Required on Ovation Guitars

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by dhim, Sep 28, 2005.

1. dhim

dhim New Member

Folks,

I have decided to go and get a ovation type guitar made from Tulsi - Chennai. I want to know is my decision good. The model and specs are LX SERIES Custom Legend Contour Model C2079 LX
    6 String Acoustic / Electric
    Body Type: Deep Contour
    Top: AAA Grade Solid Spruce
    Bracing: Scalloped LX
    Scale Length: 25 1/4"
    Scale:
    Fretboard: Bound Deluxe Ebony
    Fret Inlay: Abalone Dots / Diamonds
    Bridge: Ebony
    Rosette: Inalid Abalone Oakleaf
    Pickup: Original Patented Pickups
    Nutwidth: 1 11/16'
    Machines: Gold w/ Pearl Buttons

Please advise. All Help and feedback is highly appreciated.

Thanx,
    DHiM

2. Orange Guitar

Orange Guitar IGT's ALLROUNDER

nice choosing...but this guitar is expensive :) very expensive :) r u getting a replica or original?

3. dhim

dhim New Member

It is going to be a replica. Tulsi - Chennai makes replica they are not resellers or authorized dealers of ovation.

Regards,
    DHiM

4. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hey Dhim,
    Most features you ask are not going to be available with Tulasi. A real Abalone inlays are pretty expensive. He charges about 3.8K or so for the Acoustic and the things you ask are not going to be available at that cost. I have already ordered for the same guitar with Tulasi and it's ready. I will be collecting it in 2 or 3 days time. As far as I have seen, the sound is decent, so just go ahead and buy whatever he has.
    Spruce and things are not available here. Even if you buy them, you will have to season them for about 6 months before you can ask him to make a guitar on it. So forget it buddy.

5. dhim

dhim New Member

thanx ronnieanand for the info. I have mailed him today and expect a reply with quote.

Regards,
    DHiM

6. ronnieanand

If you want the real instrument, check out Zager Guitars. That fellow is a genius and his guitars are damn good. If are not going to be playing live, then buying a Fibre Back like the ovation is a suicide. Those fibre backs are meant to be plugged in and then only you can get the real sound of it. Unplugged they sound miserable. That's the case with even original Ovation Guitars. A Dreadnaught Acoustic Electric would give you the best of both the worlds. If you are tight on budget, then stick on whatever Tulasi has. I dont know what he's going to reply but I am sure most of the things in your spec are not going to be available anywhere in India unless somebody imports it.

7. shak

shak Harrr!

i agree with ronnie .. and then even if you have a fibre body guitar plugged in .. you need to have a good pickup to get the right sound .. so it is a dodgy buisness ... and this is the reason why not many companies go for the fibre backs ...
    anything less than ovation would make me chek twice .. so my advice .. DO play the gutiar before actually going for the purchase..let alone the nitty gritty of spruce and abalone ..
    @ronnie: cant you get abalone shells from india? you can cut them and sell em for good profit if they really are this expensive ... here in uk you can find those shells in dustbins outside the posh seafood hotels .. *psst* u rem my custom lp? with green abalone? .. guess where those inlays came from .. hahahaha ...

8. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Wow these are real exp stuffs .. starting at 30 k INC !!!!!!
    Man u gotta be majorly rich to buy an accoustic for that price ...
    Even a replica would cost a great deal !!!

And why would you want diamonds !!!!!

Is this the one u r looking for ??

Attached Files:

9. ronnieanand

@Shahrukh. Your LP is a killer. Even Gibson would kill you to steal that one. Get those Abalone when you come from UK. I guess you are from Pakistan. Bring me some and I will pay for the thing plus your shipping from Pakistan. If shipping from UK is not going to be a bomb, then I can pay for the shipping from UK as well.

10. shak

shak Harrr!

nevamind the shipping costs ..lemme know if you need them and if they would go throught the customs ..cuz they ARE part of living thing and there might be some trade regulations .. if its a green light ..lemme know i will psot em .. dun worry about the costs ..its on me .. (no kiddin .. do lemme know if you need anything)

ronnieanand likes this.
  11. dhim

dhim New Member

thanx folks for all the lovely feedback. I have decided to go for anyother brand as fber backs dont sound well i am in soup. I am more of a accoustic guy than a plugged in kind of person. Any feedback on garanda guitars. They sound and looked well at furtrados at mumbai.

Regards,
    DHiM

12. ronnieanand

I played that Granada a while ago. I played their Jumbo Acoustic as well their Classical Nylon String. They are total crap. At the low end budget ones nothing beats the Yamaha in both sound as well as quality. If you can spend more money, then you have a wide variety of choices. I am picking my Tulasi Acoustic Tomorrow morning. I already got a call from him saying that it's ready.
    I suggest you go and play the Tulasi Acoustic and then see if you like it. Guitar is a pretty personal intrument not like the stupid electronic keyboard. Every sounds different. You need to touch, feel them, play them and like them. Other's suggestions only gives a hint but if you are serious, you need to go and try it out yourself.

13. dhim

dhim New Member

Rightly said ronnieanand.
    I decided for the model as I played the original ovation at a porbandar at a cousin's place and it sounded great. I have had a talk with those guys. I am definately going in for a Tulsi made but with some specs. changed.

Regards,
    DHiM

14. ronnieanand

I collected my Tulasi Acoustic day before yesterday. The sound is not very loud but it has a nice tight sound to it. I brought it back to Bangalore and compared with the Givson Acoustic I had with me. This sounds much tighter and fuller as compared to the Givson which is a bit of loose sounding. More over the muted chords and also hard strummed chords have a great percussive attack to it something I really missed in the Givson Acoustic. The Paint Job could have been done better and I didn't like the open type tuning keys. I preferred the sealed ones but he said that he doesn't use them for his Acoustic. Maybe I will change them in the future if I am not happy with this tuning keys. The inbuilt piezo is pretty nice. Over all good value for money at Rs.3800 for the guitar and Rs.500 for a great gig bag.

15. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Ya its sounds good .. But i felt its not loud enough for an acoustic .. And its a bit heavy ... But overall guess its worth it ...

16. ronnieanand

Whatever you say. Nanda :nw: :nw: :nw:

17. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Hey are fibre-back semi-acoustics supposed to perform equally well acoustically as well as when plugged in..I mean whats the general performance of these kinda guitars?

18. ronnieanand

Fibre backs are meant to be plugged in. They sound much better plugged in. Anyway the Tulasi Acoustic is pretty neat. It can get better in it's finishing.

19. dhim

dhim New Member

Tulasi Guitar has replied back he quoted around 8K this is with the 3 band equalizer, fiber super shallow back. The Photos run somewhere near 1.38 MB which does not allow me to upload. Plz comment.

Regards,
    DHiM

20. ronnieanand

If you want an Active Onboard equilizer, then go for it. Mine is simple and it has a well responsive Volume and Tone knobs. These are enough for me and solves my purpose.

By the way, the guitar is pretty nice if you want to play Blues. It sounds like it's made for Blues. Has a very tight sounding treble strings.