info on TestAmenT reqd

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ssslayer, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Bass-tard Child

I actually thought you were quite smart when it came to music, but THAT had to be the stupidest thing i've EVER heard you say.

Skolnick did not forget his old licks, he was experimenting on First Strike Still Deadly. If not convinced, find a way to get your hands on videos from the recent Testament Reunion Tour.

2. hate_eternal

hate_eternal Banned

I have seen a couple of videos from their Reunion Tour and Scolnick was superb in them. Played as if he is posessed.

Regarding his comparison with Murphy, Scolnick is better suited for Testament. No doubt Murphy is a God himself and the three albums he did with Testament are awesome but I still prefer Scolnick because of his rhytms and solos. Murphy made them a little more heavier maybe due to his influence in other bands he played.

3. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hey Scary,
    I am a big fan of Skolnick and Testament. I was just kidding around with Ssslayer. Dont take that seriously. I have heard the First Strike Still Deadly and I know it really rocks. In someother thread I have written Testament sucks and Skolnick sucks and that's again for Ssslayer. If you read the whole thing going on between me and Ssslayer you would understand. So chill man. :beer:

4. jekyll

jekyll Banned

Hi all
    Testament is a nice band, although i find Metallica more versatile.
    Testament stuff is repetitive, Metalica has evolved over the years.
    something that Testament has not been able to do.

5. ronnieanand

Metallica is a commercial band. Testament is a true to the heart Metal band. Testament has indeed involved a lot. Check out their album New order and the latest one Gathering. There's so much difference. They are venturing into more and more heavier and hardcore true Metal. It's a choice they have made than to play any sh.it for the sake of money. Very few bands have guts to do that. Testament dares. :nw:

6. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Bass-tard Child

Oh, sorry bro, i just read over the thread. I take back what i said.

7. jekyll

jekyll Banned

but ronnieanand
    you must admit that whether due to commercial reasons or otherwise, Metallica has done more variety (and also more of Blues in their Load album) hence my partiality towards them.

Testamanet as you correctly stated has stuck to its core, but then take Skolnic, he has evolved from metal player to Jazz player, for whatever reasons - but in the musical aspect he has ceratinly grown/evolved.

8. ronnieanand

A band evolving and a musician evolving are two different things. Metallica is surely verstaile. From their Kill 'Em All till date, they have been always as a top band of the contemporary music scene. They rocked the Bay Area Thrash with Kill Em All, topped the chards with Heavy metal anthems in the Black Album, absorbed Kurt Cobain's soul and jumped in the commercial alternative / industrial band wagon.
    If you see, all the players in both Metallica and Testament are world class. I dont think there's issue with any of them to play something else. It's just a matter of choice as a band's direction. I am sure James Murphy can play convincing Blues or Jazz or even Pop if he chooses too. I for instance have played in a band playing Death and Black Metal and also have played in Blues, Rock and stuff like. If some no one can do this, those guys can seriously kick a.ss in every genre they chose to play. Dont compare them. Just listen to what appeals to you and enjoy.

A player evolving is an individual aspect. Check out Marty Friedman too for his shifting styles in music from his Cacophony to Megadeth to his recent solo albums.

9. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

****!!! I should have logged in earlier. Have i missed alot on this thread?

@ anand- Do you remember that 3 hr phone call about the definition of a successful band? Commercial success vs Critical Acclaim

10. ronnieanand

Successful band is still a point of view. If you though there's only two criteria Commercial Success or Critical Acclaim for calling a band successful, then you are missing out a lot. You might find me kinda talking both sides of the coin and it's just a different perception.

11. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Whats wrong in a band wanting to earn money??
    As regards to metallica..yes their 1st 4 albums were their best...but whats to say they released another thrash metal album and again and again...wudve again become boring..and they knew it
    Their mop/ride the lighning era was their best..and they prolly dint wanna tint that releasing crappy metal albums..hence they prooly ewent into blues rock (also to earn money)
    PS: i aint a big fan of metallica, Megadeth kicks their butt bigtime!!!. As for testament, i really dint even know such a band existed till i met mr.scary, but then my heavy metal hunger had subsided and the progressive age began

PS2: Anybody here heard of a band Loudness...great band, i heard they goit some japanese guitarist, check em out. (Genre is prolly speed metal)

PS3: Check out martys lates album,think the name is true illusions....really nice stuff on it

12. ronnieanand

Hey that guitar of Loudness is Akira Takasaki. Simply amazing guitarist. I had one of their albums long back and was nice 80s heavy metal. Never like the vocalist 'cos I got turned off by the high pitched shriek. Akira is rated as one of the top Heavy Metal guitarist. Loudness made it really big in Japan and a little success in the west too.

13. ronnieanand

Hey Dennis, there's nothing wrong in a band going commercial and wanting to make money. It's just a choice. Metallica is really successful in what they wanted to do and seriously kicked Megadeth's ass in this. Metallica has defenitely more number of fans and also sold more albums than Megadeth. So in this context it looks like Megadeth is nothing but a far cry of Mustaine ousting from Metallica. Dont want to discuss on that.
    If you look at technical riffing and melodic solos with a difference, then Megadeth kicked Metallica's ass.
    Actually nobody kicked anybody's a.ss. Those buggers have made good money with whatever they could and they are happy about it. When they themselves aren't much bothered, why should anyone try to brag about who's better. Seriously crappy comparisions. Shows immaturity in listening.
    Stick to your three band vocabulary and sink in your Excessive Compulsive Disorder or be a little open minded and discuss music than debating which band is better.

14. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

^^amen to that

15. chintan9

Imagine this:

Both Megadeth and Metallica launch their albums on the same day. The former makes a technical thrash album and the latter nu age. Two college kids pick up copies of both bands.
    The first kid who is just a listener finds Metallica more appealing cause he has no freakin idea and doesnt really care if Mustaine plays a technical solo or the drummer plays at lightning speed. All he cares about is the catchy vocal lines and the constant use of Fcuk in song.
    On the other hand the second kid who is the lead guitarist of his band finds megadeth more appealing cause he sees what the first kid doesnt and kinda figures out the fact that Metallica is going down the commercial road. He respects Megadeth for sticking to their thrash metal roots and moves on to his Testament- LOW CD.

Now this is my theory of the whole thing. Metallica tends to have more fans than megadeth basically because the 'Listeners' out number the 'Lead guitarists'. The major portion of fans and people in general dont really understand the difficulty in making a technically brilliant album.

What defines a truly successful band(broadly speaking) is one which has both 'Listeners' and 'Lead guitarists' as fans.

16. ronnieanand

Technical or Non Technical doesn't matter at all. Both the albums were presented for music listeners not presented as a technical report in an IEEE forum. It just matter what appeals to somebody. There is nothing about a common thing that appeals to everybody.

Chintan, if you really are interested in a common music that fits everything, then try World Music. The theme of those guys is to make one music that is common across various region, language and culture. Call that the most successful then.

17. ronnieanand

@Chintan. Was any of the kid pointing to me :think:

18. chintan9

machha u didnt get it . Read it again. i mentioned technicality as an example. Im not saying that technicality is the only thing, its one of the factors. My god!!!

A band should make a song/ album that can combine the elements such as the 'catchy choruses' of metallica and the 'technical solos' of megadeth. If they can achieve a balance of these two elements their fan base will be HUGE. GET IT!!!!!!!

19. chintan9

hahahahah
    No da. Its just an example.

20. ronnieanand

@Chintan. You didn't get me either. Those guys make money somehow. Why should be crib and argue about who's better. It's a debate nobody will win. It's like trying to convince the other that his brain, taste for music, perception, point of view is all wrong.
    Is there any other band more successful than Beatles :think: .

Actually I neither listen to Metallica or Megadeth. I use to listen to them some 10 years back. Janis Joplin is the most successful musician. Check out her band Big Brother and the Holding company. The two guitarists are damn good. The band Kozmic Blues is also good but the first one is damn good. Has all the best songs. Has great lyrics, great guitars and what not. The most inspirational woman singer ever.

Check out my signature. Has some Janis quotes.