Info on different genres of music

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by nitin_pai, Jan 13, 2006.

1. nitin_pai

nitin_pai New Member

I have some more queries regarding the different genres of music .... i just know the names but still havent found out what they are...

jazz, retro, RnB, soul, hiphop, classical rock, heavy rock, metal, pop, raggea, ballad, anthem, lounge

plz describe in your own words in breif coz i am not able to understand large theories on them like those on wikipedia... much better if u would describe like "bjr" :) did in the "blues" thread...straight to the point... i will be very thankfull to you if u plzz do this :)

2. uj_6string

uj_6string Nickelodean Addict :D

hey nitin......me has the same problem too.....guys....if anyone could reply....it will really benefit newbie's like us........i think i know a couple of music genres....
    heavy rock-i guess it is that kinda music wher the guitarists keep banging their heads and have long hair....keep screaming like anything and their lyrics make so sense..........or is that metal:confused:
    RnB-thatz rap and hip hop.....the kinda stuff jay sean and eminem do.......sing really fast with cool beats......:cool:
    pop-the lyrics have some meaning.....the music is soft and kinda feel good.....examples are westlife and mltr

music genres again divided into sub genres.....like rock has metal..alternative rock...punk...etc......itz all damn complicated.......:mad:....

thatz... all i know dude.......and im not sure ive explained it correctly......:grin:

3. uj_6string

hey guys....why the hell has no-one replied.....are u all too lazy to answer?????:mad:

4. knight_guitar

knight_guitar Lead Guitarist

^^ rock does'nt mean head banginng and long locks .. it's something above then that

Rock in itself a high genre it means good lyrics and rock lover got there own feel good factor for the music

Rock music emphais more on the band effort in different area.. and everybody plays a part in it .. Rock is technically all about how u arrange ur music in a way to give a soothing feeling .. and how that music progress on different scale

it's not necessary that all the rock songs gotta meanining in it but how much effort u put in

take for example like in older days when music was not about computer and sound engineering guys like jimi hendrix , led zepp , etc. still use to create great music i'm not saying that today people don't work hard on there music yes they do.. but when u depend a lot on machines then to ur own skill, rock changes into diff. sub genre or rather say a new kinda off genre is created..

Rock music to me means .. a good guitar solo a nice arrangement.. anyone who got a little music knowledge can actually differentiate between rock music and other genres

u'll find out good solo in few pop and hip hop songs as well, but they are not rock music as i mentioned above when u depend a lot on softwares and machines it is actually something else.. let me.. give a brief description about different genre..

Pop:- A sudden change in music .. rather say.. an exponential change.. !! like moving to a different scale which is not at all related to ur previous note but still managing to play rhythemetically

Jazz:- is actually based on very high chord pattern in other words.. we can say.. technically correct... and because it's so technically correct we can mould it's rhythm in our way...highly sophiscticated music idiom.

i hope this might help u guys a little

5. zing

zing Machine Head

6. nitin_pai

nitin_pai New Member

somethings i had in mind before asking this question was based purely on the instruments used which didnt include any scale or any stuff coz i didnt know wat is scale in the first place :)

my assumptions were-
    rock - electric guitar
    jazz - piano/ banjo
    metal - drums
    lounge - keyboard
    ballad, anthem - those shrieking sounds made by big fat singers... eg: pavarotti :)

7. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

*claps with unbelievable intensity*

8. knight_guitar

^^ this thread seems more like an anti-metal thread !!! .. Uj_string... if u like hip-hop in comparison to Metal/rock...

i can say.. develope ur taste.. it's vice-versa..

9. CrYpTiC_angel

CrYpTiC_angel Rebelle!

^^shs was being sarcastic... duh!!

10. uj_6string

hey knight guitar....i am frankly not anti rock....nor i am a big hip hop rap fan.....
    i just dont like the sub genres of rock.......something like metallica and nirvana....i dun like it.....and i am not saying this just like that....ive heard the stuff.....and ive developed an opinion......
    i like rock.....something like bryan adams...(all right ....hez not totally rock but semi rock semi pop)......dtz good.......or something like jal......dtz what i like.....
    as far as "hip hop rap" is concerned.........i agree wid ya.....less skill is required and more machines and all......and i dun like eminem at all......except for a couple of his songs.......i like only selected songs in this genre......but compared to rock(the kinda rock i lisen to)....all this is nothing......

and frankly guys.......everyone has an opinion....dt is what makes dt person unique.......ur right from ur perspective and i am right from my perspective......u may like metal but it dosent mean ill like it too......so lets respect everyonz opinion......make ur point.....but dont force the other guy to change his point....
    rock on.....and btw....knight guitar.....nice explanation u gave.....
    uj:rock:

11. knight_guitar

Dude.. it's not about.. giving our opinions to each other.. i just told you .. you should enhance your music taste which is just like.. enhancing your marks.. may be you feel good with it.. but ur parents feel it's not really worth it..

u might be thinking what kinda weird thinking i got... but if u give it a shot u'll find out.. when i was of ur age.. i used to like backstreet boys and so many boys band as well.. and i used to hate the thought when people used to ask me to listen to metallica and g'n'r ..... and i was like why they are saying it ???? ..
    u'll find this off ... but what i meant to say in my statement was.. when u gonna grew old u gonna love something which are close to you.. may be for you it's something else.. and may be for me at that time it was music.. i'm not asking you or forcing you to listen my kinda sound.. but this was something which was in me at that time as well.. .. but trust me dude when i learnt guitar.. the whole sceanario was changed and i realized may be a minute or rather say may be a second can change ur whole ur interest.. and which is true ..
    may be u guys gonnna laugh on me .. or gonna say what kinda bullshit was that.. but i'm telling u my own experience.. it's not that all the rock genres or sub genres create good music bands like "papa roach , tantric etc." create pathetic music and pathetic lyrics.. .. trust me man.. i still love ghazals and i still love old hindi music.. but i will never say.. that i love guys like "tantric, papa-roach or linkind park or limp bizkit etc.." cause sometimes even there music got no soul.. u will understand what i meant to say. so .. no hard feelings from my side.. enjoy whtever u like.. and live to the fullest :)..

12. nitin_pai

nitin_pai New Member

hey guys, chill out :) .......

let peace prevail while u come out with the meanings of the terms :)

13. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

That's a pretty sad thing to say.

It's like telling a 4 year old that Santa Clause isn't real....or telling a 12 year old that his chances for playing in the Indian Cricket Team are next to zero....or telling a 16 year old that he isn't really in love and that it's just a crush and he will get over it soon so why bother pursuing it.

At any point in our life, there are things that are important or dear to us....they might change with time and your perspective says that some of these things seem stupid in the long run but they do rule our thoughts at that point of time, don't they?

14. knight_guitar

^^ BJR .. read it carefully may be u not even getting the drift dude.. !!..

u surely mature .. but then again.. what i meant to say was.. .. "i still do like to listen to ghazals and songs with meaninngs in it" .. may be.. u guys.. just floating above.. and not trying to reach what's within.. anyways. don't wanna discuss it..

i just back off.. cause.. u guys get so exicted .. to take someone down and all ..

keep rocking ..

regards

sharad....

15. shsnawada

Hell, i got into metal when i was 14. Give everything a try mate. 14's the right age....
    @knight guitar: You were listening to backstreet boys when you were 14???? :shock: :p:

16. knight_guitar

^^ he he . yeah man.. y would i deny that.. :p.. ..

atleast.. i enjoyed my that moment to my fullest. .. and even know.. i'm enjoying it to my fullest.. remember dude..

a great ripp.. from a great song..

"
    Each night i go to bed.. i pray the lord to my soul to keep.... no i ain't looking for forgivness but before i'm six feet deep lord i gotta ask a favour and i hpe u understand cause i live .. life to the fullest.. let this boy dies like man"...

sounds.. awkward.. but.. at times it does sound sensible.. ..

anyways.. i'm listening to.. "Kashmir by led zepp" .. (not backstreet)

wht about u :p..

17. shsnawada

Well, as funny as it sounds, i hardly listened to music until i heard fear factory when i was 14. Or might be a combination of ff and godsmack...

18. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

And you seem to have missed what I was saying too.

I wasn't really "taking you down". You are probably correct in what you say....I'm just saying it's a bad thing to say. It's like giving away the ending to a suspense novel on the 4th page of the book. If you didn't notice....all the examples I gave were of things that were *usually* perfectly correct but still just not things that we should say.

You then sort of voice what I'm saying in this part:

Precisely. So why not let him enjoy his and then discover whatever it is that he might (or might not).

You yourself say that people kept insisting that you listen to "better" music and you hated it....then why do the same thing to someone else? You, of all people, should realize that.

19. knight_guitar

^^ rofl.. .. man. atleast.. .. tu baach gaya...by the way.. when i was 14 there were few good pop bands and groovy songs.. coming out..

i remember... i.. just loved "another day in paradise by phill collins" ... "babe by take that".. "groovy kind of love by phill collins" etc. etc..

backstreet boys came after ice age.!!!.

20. shsnawada

Why is this on the Q&A forum?