Info. About Epiphone LPs

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Orange Guitar, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Orange Guitar

Orange Guitar IGT's ALLROUNDER

Hi! I want help from pros. Post all the good or bad :) information about Epiphone LPs with their costs and other things. I hope u will send good info.

2. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

cost: abt. 15k inrs.. i know ur in lahore - pls convert on ur own....

plsu point: nice tone, generally good finish, decent touch similar config to original gibson lps at lower price - looks awesome, slightly lighter in weight to quite a few guitars

bad stuff: epiphones are generally poorly constructed as compared to gibson (as in less attention to detailed construction), some ppl have problems playing very high notes (such as on fret 17 etc...), only has 21 frets... can be restrictive in playing -as in a lil uncomfortable due to shape....

3. Orange Guitar

wht is the model no........post all LPs info!

4. deathdr_87

dunno at. the model number - wat i gave was abt. epi lps in general

5. nehemiah

nehemiah New Member

@death where do you get them im mumbai

6. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

ok orange.....as long as am on my break......heres the deatails
    Epiphone has a quiete a wide range in their Lps.....not half as huge as gibson but still quiet a lot of them
    Now, epiphone models are available in two types(so to say) u have Epiphone, and You have Epiphone elitist
    the differnce between the two is mainly the cost difference and the better variety of wood used in eltist...for eg. the flametop on Epi Lp std Plus is a veneer where as the Eltitist Les Paul standard actually uses bookmatched flame maple...
    the Elitist models are models which are actually used by pros....doubt u wud ever find any pro using a normal epiphone...not one elitist model is below $1000 so am not even considering them here
    The "normal" Ephiphone Les Pauls are as follows
    they have the following models:
    Les Paul 1956 Goldtop
    Les Paul Baritone
    Les Paul Black Beauty 3
    Les Paul Classic
    Les Paul Classic Plus
    Les Paul Custom
    Les Paul Custom Plus
    Les Paul Standard
    Les Paul Standard Plus
    Les Paul Studio
    Les Paul Ultra
    Les Paul-100
    Ace Frehley Les Paul Custom
    Bob Marley Les Paul Special
    Joe Perry Boneyard
    John Connolly Les Paul Custom
    Lynyrd Skynyrd Les Paul Goldtop
    Zakk Wylde Buzzsaw Les Paul Custom
    Zakk Wylde Camo Les Paul Custom
    Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custom

my personal favourites are the '56 gold top, the ultra, the standard Plus,the lynyrd skynyrd goldtop for its Hbs and the Zakk wylde Lp custom...tho not to fond of the inlays in that
    all of them except the 56'gold top and the ace frehely Lp have 2 Hbs of some sort,
    56 goldtop has P90s and the Ace frehley & the Black Beauty have 3 Hbs......
    of these if u know the right people, u can absolutely any model in the subcontinent(right people=relatives,friends in the US :grin: )
    But ideally the ones which are available
    are the following
    Les Paul Standard
    Les Paul Standard Plus
    Les Paul Black Beauty 3
    Les Paul-100
    Note:The only difference between any standard model and a standard plus is the finishes....standards are not available with a flametop, whereas standard pluses are, that and yeah....the price..the cost of the Plus is about $50-$100 more
    the Costs in India...of all except the Lp 100 range is about INR 30,000 the black beauty the last time i cheked was around INR 35,000
    the LP-100 i am told is some INR 19,000

Reasons to go for an Epiphone:
    they do have good tone, good playability
    sound like gibsons for a fraction of the price
    LOOK AWESOME
    Its a Les Paul
    their Construction IS GOOD....[the lower end models(read:special, and if ur unlucky LP 100) are a bit crude]
    Sturdy,and the set necks are sturdier

Reasons not to go for an Epiphone
    U can afford a Gibson
    Still kinda pricey tho cheaper than gibs.
    Hard to find...furtados in mumbai doesnt have any Lp standards anymore, have word that albertos and bhargava might)
    heavy, but then all Lps are..around 7-8 lbs
    u have to be used to or need to get used to the single cutaway

@nehemiah.....Lps in mumbai are available at Furtados,bhargava and albertos
    @death...the lower fret prooblem is there in all Lps...ask SRK ......he has a gibson...its a matter of practice...if u r used to it , u can play it.......i play and bend till the 21st fret of my accoustic which has a cutaway at the 14th fret........

rabi_sultan likes this.
  7. nehemiah

nehemiah New Member

solid info, good work to take time out of ur break to dish out this, dedication or what
    would have reppped you doc, but this site apparently has some rule against it

8. Orange Guitar

very very nice info by deathdr...thnx.....can u post something about Lp studio?....i m getting this one from Dubai! u once advised me 2 take that..

9. Orange Guitar

i got ibanez....i want Epiphone Lp studio...shld i get it!!!????

10. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

LP studio, excellent guitar for the fiven price..has a set neck ,open coil Hbs....
    mahogany alder body
    mahogany neck
    a true Lp in every sense.......except lighter than most LPs,
    has dot inlays..used to have trapezoids and the finish was better but they allcut back on in it to reduce the costs about an year back.....
    built sturdily...
    can belt out most rock numbers with quiet a lot of ease...good for tapping too if u wanna do it
    but like any low end LP the tuners aint too good..the old ones had stock ones....the new one i thng has grovers..but chek that out
    the pups are quiet balanced nice bass and highs......decent sustain...actually good
    over al nice guitar
    @orange.u dint like the info i gave :p:

11. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

which ibanez did u get

12. Orange Guitar

I like ur info. Deathdr. I got Ibanez RG321. Very nice guitar. Trying to get Lp Studio of Epiphone.....now I am quite satisfied about this guitar by ur info. will check on its tuners!!! :rockon: I want info on Les Paul Standard Plus 2!

13. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

u not reading rt orange....its me DrSaurabh..not deathDr....got it theres a dr in both.but diff people :)

14. h4f0n

h4f0n New Member

I've played a Studio, Standard and a Custom

If you can, get a Custom, good "LP" sound, good build,confortable neck, nice humbuckers and overall pretty good (and the sunburst I played looks really good!)

Standard was ok, bit chunky neck, crappy humbuckers, not a very "LP" style sound

The Studio was not that good.

So......GET A CUSTOM!!! :p:

15. h4f0n

h4f0n New Member

And the Custom has those sweet block inlays!

16. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

hey drsarubh, would you add what you know about Gibson/Epiphone's to the Guitar Buying Guide thread that is in the Beginners Q&A please?

17. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

wudnt mind at all........:)
    but that wud have to wait...at least till my theories get over..thats 15th..:) but will deffo do it:)

18. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

custom i think is around $700 i dont think that orange wants to spend that much...that is why i said that the studio was his best deal...set neck without the frills....as for the standards...standards are good...the Pups on them are good but personally except the ultra and the signiture models i wudnt keep the stock pups on any of the LPs....
    either wud go for the Seymour Duncans or dimarzio...
    my exp with Epi Lps tells me that they are the next best thing to a Gibson LP..
    and block inlays arent my style...zakk wylde has that too...prefer the trapezoids ....
    BTW the Pups on all LPs tho i wudnt keep them there.....are pretty good...even the LP 100...they wud give u a well balanced sound..clean or dirty......studios are know to give a very aggressive sort of dirty sound, owing to their hot Pups..

19. deathdr_87

@orange: dude -drsaurabh and death dr are two diff. ppl - oens me and ones him - u seem to be cofused....

drsaurah gave u the nice info not me

the best is probably the custom but its generally too expensive - the studio is much cheaper ut also less quality.

bhargavas at metro does not ahve any lps.. u mgiht want to chek the bhargavas at bandra, shahanus at vt or fender music shop at grant road - i know its weird but fender music shop has loads of good stuff not only fenders - ull be surprsied with wat u mgiht find there

20. Orange Guitar

sorry about The Names!!!!....very sorry!!!!! my budget us now 2 low....I am goin for Lp Studio.....i read reviews on net....they say that this guitar can play any type of music....whts ur opinion...i need ur final info. final date is 15th!