Indian Show at School....

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by kush_14, Feb 22, 2004.

1. kush_14

kush_14 New Member

ok....

at my school (high school) we have an Indian American Student Association. Every year we put on the "Festival of India" show in which we do cultural dances and try to spread awareness and information about our culture and heritage. This year, being my senior year, my friend and I decided we wanted to do something different. So were going to be playing indian songs on the guitar. Were gonna start off with the indian national anthem, and after that, were going to play some songs

To make a long story short....do you guys have any suggestions on what songs we should play??? We want to keep it very "indian," but want to add a little (emphasize LITTLE) western flare to it. Any help would be appriciated. :)

2. slash

slash New Member

awesome m8, let us know how it turns out.

3. kush_14

kush_14 New Member

no problem...i will try to post an audio clip of us performing it after the show (end of April) But do u have any suggestions slash? Any specific songs that u know that sound really good on the guitar that ppl (mostly parents and high school and college students) will recognize? Cuz thats kinda what were shooting for...playing stuff people can understand.

4. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

Hi kush, I think Jana Gana Mana would do the trick. I had a friend who played it arpegios it was amazing! Eagerly waiting for the audio clip, best of luck for the program.

5. kush_14

kush_14 New Member

does anyone have any other ideas, we have just begun to pick our songs and could use some suggestions.....

so far, here is our list (tentative)

tujhe dekha....
    papa kehte hain
    humko hamise churalo
    Churaliya hai

not particlular order...but we did decide that we are the finale...what were gonna do is play a bunch of indian songs, and then end on the national anthem, where some ppl are gonna come out and sing it while we play it

6. Natasia

Natasia ...

why don't u try " neele neele ambar" from the movie kalakar... its a realllyyy nice song.. and i think somebody has posted the song here...if u don't find it let me know...i'll post it...

hope u'r show goes well....:beer:

7. prash_rocks

prash_rocks Over the Hills & Far Away

Talking of Indian songs with a "western" feel, how can u forget A R Rehman's "Maa Tujhe Salaam." You won't find many such modern renditions of anthems that yet can be enjoyed by one and all irrespective of their ethnicity.

8. scot_hacker

scot_hacker New Member

Indian Songs

If you want songs from Bollywood try ones like those from the movie "Jhankaar Beats" or "Dil Vil Pyar Vyar". Actually you can play many mid-80's songs like Amitabh's numbers or even many Kishore Kumar ones. To be more specific, try songs from "Padosan" and the like.

I would really suggest, among indipop:
    - Meri neend ud gayee hai, Band of Boys
    - Dooba Dooba, Silk Route
    - Neele Neele ambar
    - Deewana hua badal (just remembered)
    - O sanam, Anjani Rahon mein
    - Allah ke bande (!?!?!)

Hmm thats about it.

9. alli

alli The Best Ever

u shud really try 'jana gana mana' on an electric guitar... it comes out freakishly good if played well...

a couple of my friends in a band tried it ... very very amazing .

10. kush_14

kush_14 New Member

ur right it sounds really nice....

11. alli

alli The Best Ever

yes yes .... :cool:

national anthem "rocks"!!.... heheh

12. scot_hacker

scot_hacker New Member

Just heard it in a cinema hall today, it was played with an electric guitar and all sorts of imaginable percussion ;)

[[Jai Hind]]

13. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

Well... if u want my opinion... do not begin with the national anthem... end with it. Do an electric version like someone suggested... begin with an electric version with drums of any raaga... we did it many times... its really cool. Then continue with sa re jahan se achha... again electric version with a shade of metal. And end with jana gana mana.

14. Taj

Taj New Member

u can do somethin similiar like Saif Ali Khan did in the Zee Cine Awards, man he was amazin at his guitarin', i didn't know he played guitar sooooooooo well . He played some mix indi old and new songs on his electric guitar. :)
    BUT he was terrific !

15. kush_14

kush_14 New Member

missed the awards, but do u know where i can get a copy of the performance or where i can watch it online???

16. Taj

Taj New Member

sorry m8
    :confused:
    dont't know abt that !

17. kush_14

kush_14 New Member

ok...so i have somewhat an update....

we played at some get together for my friends parents group or something...i dunno...but whatever that doesnt matter....the show went good, but were gonna change it up a bit for the actual show i have at school...teh list should be finalized this week cuz i have spring break for the next 12 days!!!!

18. alli

alli The Best Ever

kewl kewl .... let us know ....

19. kush_14

kush_14 New Member

Show.....

:sigh:

the show is finally over....it was really hectic, i finally got some time to post about it....i was in 5 dances, the guitar thing, emceing, in a video, etc...so hectic...but it was fun...

but our guitar thing...wow, it kinda sucked (according to my standards) because my friend messed up a few times, i messed up once, but it was all good because everyone else thought it was really cool...ill try to post up sound bytes of it as soon as i get time cuz right now im workin on ap tests for school and am about to graduate high school!!!!!

20. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

he did not play it. any guitarist could have got it. he started with guns and roses's 'sweet child of mine' which he probably did not know, the way he was moving his fingers n the position on the neck. some one else played it for him i guess:think:
    he also acted like he was tapping n stuff!