Indian ragas - Sathya & all others

Discussion in 'Tamil Guitar Tabs - Submit or Request' started by myrules, Oct 15, 2013.

1. myrules

myrules Member

Hi sathya\friends,

Could you please provide tabs for any basic indian ragas that is played on higher E string? I dont know this question is right or wrong. I dont have any knowledge in indain ragas. It would be great if you could provide me the notes and the name of the raga.

If my request is totally illogical kindly forgive me.

Thank you,
    Pradeep

2. SATHYA167

SATHYA167 New Member

You can start s from any tab in high E. The other western notes will then follow depending on the raga notes.

For example, if you are playing E F G A B C D, you are playing s r1 g2 m1 p d1n2 which is the Arohanam of Thodi ragam.

This is also E - Mode based notes. But by just playing these notes, one can not feel the raga.

Each raga has certain proyogam - like combination of one or more notes as a special feature with few notes stretched, not visited often etc... and it is quite complex for me to explain here. In fact, I myself do not know the specific proyogams of each raga. One has to learn it properly. I only try to know the raga of a particular song only to know the tabs in an octave that I should try while tabbing a song.

I will give few popular raga notes in high E shortly............... Sathya

3. myrules

myrules Member

Thank you sathya for your explanation. I am waiting for it eagerly. Thanks again for quick reply.

4. SATHYA167

SATHYA167 New Member

Here we go with the first raga. Hope this is easy to understand. If need this can be taken to a separate thread to make it visible to all others.

If you are playing a raga in a single string, you need 12 frets (consecutive) - One octave.

The 12 consecutive frets represent s r1 r2 g2 g3 m1 m2 p d1 d2 n2 n3

If you are playing a raga based film song, you may need more than 12 frets in a single string.

This is because 99% of the songs fall within p. d. n. s r g m p d n S R G – Where p. d. n. falls in the lower octave, followed by 7 notes in the middle octave and S R G falling in higher octave.

Assuming that the song falls only within s r g m p d n S, we can play comfortably songs in E, F, F#, G, G# & A chords. Playing beyond 15th fret is quite difficult in acoustic guitar.

Let us see the first raga – Natabhairavi, which corresponds to ‘Natural Minor’ scale of western music.

The raga goes like s r2 g2 m1 p d1 n2 S. If you match this with the notes arrangement given in the second line, you will be playing 1 3 4 6 8 9 & 11th frets from the starting note.

If you are playing the song in F Minor in ‘High E’ you will be starting with Fret 1 and then play the 3rd, 4th, 6th, 8th, 9th and 11th fret

If you are playing the song in A Minor in ‘High E’ you will be starting with Fret 5 and then play the 7th, 8th, 10th, 12th, 13th and 15th fret

This song is in High E and in A Minor scale….
    https://indianguitartabs.com/f20/tabs-song-newyork-nagaram-urangumpodhu-sok-53127.html

I do not know whether this song is in ‘Natabhairavi’ ragam, but the song follows the notes of ‘Natabhairavi’ ragam

You can try songs in ‘Natural Minor’ chords - E, F, F#, G, G# & A, using the above logic.

If ‘m1’ is replaced by ‘m2’ the resulting raga is ‘Shanmuga Priya’. You need to play the 7th fret instead of 6th fret in the sequence.

Please do put your views / comments.................. Sathya

5. myrules

myrules Member

very well explained sathya.. thank you very much. I think you can take this to a seprate thread and continue sharing your knowledge. One quick question, How you ll do your tabs? for example, if your are going to work on any song to find tabs, what would be your first move and how you ll construct the tabs?

Pradeep

6. cibhin

cibhin Member

As far as i know, Carnatic music is something really amazing. When western notes are like C D E F G A B C and as we have different scales and variations in it. In Carnatic music, they use s r g m p d n S which is nothing but intervals, like the intervals from C to E is 2 whole steps. they also use r1 r2 stuff like that (which i have no clue how it works) So when ever they listen to a song, its easy to identify the intervals of the song and the intervals can be implemented on any particular scale. When we listen to a song, we should find that the first note is G and the second is A and the third is oh its A#. When it comes to Carnatic, they dont care about the frequency of the note (Which note it is) but they give importance to the interval between two notes. Carnatic is not something to study by short cut, even the masters in carnatic are not completely aware of every ragas because the combinations are Un numbered. Thats what i think about Indian Ragas, correct me if i am wrong.