Indian Instruments = Help

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by Asmodeus, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Once again, I need some help for a project at work.

If you know of any Indian peole, regardless of their age, location or ***, caste, creed, race, language, religion (you get the drift) who have invented, created a musical instrument, then please, please, please do tell me.

Reputation guarenteed for good replies.

Secondly, to all those who listen to good FOLK music, gimme some names of prominent musicianas from your area who play any folk / classical instrument very well, and if possible, their contacts.

PLEASE!!!

2. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

Does folk / Classical include carnatic or hindustani music? Or only the accessable, sing along artist?

3. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Ravikiran who plays chitra veena has created something called Nava Chitra Veena. https://www.ravikiranmusic.com/chitravina.htm

Also Vishwa Mohan Bhat has created something like a Guitar, Veena, Sitar collaboration. I forgot the name.

4. shsnawada

The chitravina looks very interesting. Thanks for that link.

5. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Hmm.. .yeah, anyone, try not to be too commercial...

& yeah, that instrument is the Mohan Veena

6. aysh

aysh -|h3 ori9in4| (ui!aris-|-

Vishvamohan bhatt plays the Mohan Veena

7. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

viswamohan bhatt's mohan veena is a standard hawaiian guitar, to which he has added playing strings, and also the strings of the "taraf", which help in resonance, and are a must in indian classical stringed instruments.

8. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

What bout folk music???

9. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Isnt it so tht the origin of Folk music is unknown ? But there is something called Bhavageethe in Karnataka .. It has origin .. i'll update u wit it whn i get some info ...

10. shsnawada

What do you mean by an origin in this case?