Indian Chess player banned after cheating with Bluetooth

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by lord_neo, Jan 3, 2007.

1. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

An Indian chess player has been banned for 10 years for cheating after he was caught using his mobile phone's wireless device to win games, chess officials said on Wednesday.

The player, Umakant Sharma, had logged rating points at a rapid pace in the last 18 months and also qualified for the national championship, arousing the suspicion of officials and bemusing rivals.

Mr. Sharma was finally caught at a recent tournament when officials discovered that he had stitched a Bluetooth device in a cloth cap which he always pulled over his ears.

https://sports.espn.go.com/sports/news/story?id=2710555

2. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

What a Move!

3. nazr

nazr angel is my genital..

Why wasnt the guy who was talking to him playing?Obviously he is a better player.

4. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

^What if the guy outside is on a laptop using Fritz?

5. arian_1c

arian_1c New Member

how bizzare...
    looks like his desire caught up with him

6. shak

shak Harrr!

yes notty is correct, i read this in news a few days ago, the other guy WAS using a computer to simulate the game and work out the best moves.
    the report didnt say if the lot was kicked in their butts and thrown out in disgrace ...

7. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Shameful.....

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Cool, man IS indeed inferior to machine.

9. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

Nah ..

Chess is not a mathematical formula .. Chess is a battle of Minds and egos!

Plus .. "Computers are useless. They can only give answers" ~ Pablo Picasso

10. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Bwahahahahahahaaa ....... and why else were they created?

11. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

+ if its this guy:
    Pablo Ruiz Picasso (October 25, 1881 – April 8, 1973) was a Spanish painter and sculptor.

Then :RollLol:
    What idea would he have about computers of 21st century?

12. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

Apart from its literal meaning.. The statement does make sense.

The Logic that's put in a computer is indeed by the Humans.

Oh come on Fooker you know you're just arguin out of boredom/timepass :p

13. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Yeah logic is designed by humans, but humans are not logical all the time.
    :p:
    So a comp can easily defeat humans based on logic, on an average .

14. shak

shak Harrr!

chess is indeed not a mathematical forumla, but, given all the variables computers can simulate, predict and evaluate better than humans solely due to their high computing power, so in case of chess, computers can chug a million moves per second while planning in advance to give you the best possible answer ..

computers cannot not 'think' but they can iterate like CRAZY!!

15. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

So just coz they're fast doesn't mean they're superior to humans.

Humans can make judgements based on experience far better than Computers when it comes to chess. e.g. A Computer treats a Bishop and a Knight as equal point wise .. but given a position a strong human player can make a better judgement as to which one would prove better in the long run ..

16. faiqrock

faiqrock XaiQ

check and mate umakant :D

17. shak

shak Harrr!

so just cuz they are fast doesnt mean they're superior to humans ... ofcourse! i think human brain beats the processing powers of super computers when it comes to certain things .. like when you throw someting on targert, your brain makes a billion calculations taking in account, the velocity, trajectory, angle of launch, speed, air resistance, shape of the object, weight of the object, gravity etc. etc.
    but when it comes down to repetitive itetration, thats where computers do leave humans behind, cuz human mind is known to suffer from fatigue and boredom ...

but as for the chess, well, i have personally seen a computer play chess (not the big fat ones ... and ordinary P4 machine with a dedicated chess software) and what it did was, for every move it simulated the game for the next 20 moves (if i remember correctly) and used very sophisticated algorithms (if thats the correct term) to determine the suitability ... so their take on the game is different to humans, humans 'think' out the games .. computers iterate! they will pick a move and simulate, store the result, go back, pick another move, simulate, store the result, x 100,000,000 times .. then sort out the results and pick the best one out ... bingo!

and now we have a practical evidence of computer's superiority when it comes to chess ... just recently the blue something IBM's machine has beaten recent chess master ... i'll google it

18. shak

shak Harrr!

yep .... vladimir kramnik, current world chess champion, and russian grand chess master, played against deep fritz (sorry not deep blue as i said in my last post, my bad memory) a month ago (december 5th) and lost 4-2 ....

deep fritz was running on a regular pc with 2 intel core 2 dou CPU's (i've got one in the notebook on which i am typing right now so .. i've got like half the pc needed to beat the current world champ .. weird)

19. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

^Its not just the processing power but thousands and thousands of human games which have been analyzed deeply have been fed into the computer's database which it can refer anytime. Human's can't refer to so many games move by move. So its as if keeping a book with yourself and playing a game.

The Opening and Game database contributes significantly to the Chess programs strength .. without the database it won't be as powerful and would be easier to beat.

20. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

Plus its becoming like a human versus Automobile contest. So you can't say Automobiles pwn Humans .. coz they're the one's who've created it!