Index Finger problem

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by Varunendra, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Varunendra

Varunendra New Member

hey people,
    I have been totally into practising riffs of songs like Master of Puppets,Battery and stuff like that.Each time i play those riffs on the 6th string,after about 20 minutes or so of practising at the same speed at which the songs are originally played(ya i ,make mistakes at times also but still try to match up lol)...i notice my index finger becomes really STIFF and PAINS (not unbearable) after i hault my playing.

Is it
    a. Because i am putting too much pressure on the plectrum while playing those fast riffs
    b. Is my plectrum gauge too hard (1.14mm)
    c. or wat do u ppl think

Please if someone can help me out...thank you!!

Varunendra

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

1.14 is totally appopriate for the metal riffs that you are playing.
    Infact anythign thinner would require more effort from your part.

First thing first: I am assuming you are talking about index fringer of your plectrum hand. (wanted to make this clear because most humans have two index fingers)

Second thing: your finger is paining because you are making your fingers too tense. That means either your picking style is not correct, or your pick holding style is not comfortable, or simple that you need to slow down your picking and let your body adjust slowly.

You should also mention where exacly in/on your index finger do you get the pain.

3. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

4. Varunendra

Varunendra New Member

hey,
    i checked out that metallica use a 0.88mm dunlop tortex plectrum man....and u said anything thinner than 1.14mm is bad???
    I said that i get pain in the Right hand index finger....that finger feels very stiff and pains after trying those riffs on the 6th string.
    I read that article and it says that one should not put any finger of the right hand on the guitar for rest and stuff...I do that...i use my pinky of the right hand which touches the guitar for balance...is that the reason why i am getting pain in the right hand index finger????
    thanx

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Thinner plectrum is not bad. I never said that. But it will require more effort from your wrist and fingers, because the thinner plectrum bends more.

:) dude you didn't mention about right hand. Anyway forget it.
    Actually for resting your hand, you can easily keep your palm on the bridge, just behind where the strings meet the bridge, so that it won't dampen the string vibrations.

And I am quite sure, you are holding the plectrum very hard. Thats all. Need to relax the fingers.

PS: Actually I realized, I rest my hand on the bridge, as well as take support from my pinky while playign the thinner strings. But while playing riffs on E A D strings, I keep my ring finger and pinky on the B and E strings. Incidentally that mutes the strings also.

PPS: I have another question, how do you actually hold you plectrum? Does it rest on the curved index finger supporte by thumb. Or do you hold it between the finger tips like a pencil?

6. Varunendra

Varunendra New Member

hey alpha1,
    well my plectrum rests on the curved index finger supported by thumb man.I also think im putting too much pressure on the plectrum....will try to reduce it but shud i use my pinky for support on the guitar or not (meanign keeping all my fingers suspended in the air on the right hand).