Improvising on a nylon string

Discussion in 'IGT Soundtrack - Your Band, Your Gig, Your Music' started by bjr, Oct 29, 2005.

1. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I record some of my practice sessions and keep the ones I like...I found this one from sometime in March and thought I'd give everyone a chance to take a pot-shot at me. I'd like your views on my playing. I wasn't actually preparing to let people listen to this so the recording is pretty crappy. It's just me playing chords and then me soloing over them and the whole thing being recorded by a crappy mic.

This was basically based on the chords of Savage Garden's "Truly Madly Deeply", hence the basic "pop-ishness".

The melody is completely randomly off the top of my head, these aren't practiced licks. I sometimes get carried away and try to bend, forgetting that this is a nylon string. I was pretty pleased with my playing here. I'm not playing very fast or technically brilliant stuff but it puts a smile on my face sometimes when I listen to it.

https://www.geocities.com/robotpajamas/improv.mp3

2. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

dhuude..i think this short jam of urs has a very nice vibe goin on for it.
    it is a jam which as u said..just brings a smile to ur face..
    u have a good sense of melody..
    it was high time since u posted more of ur clips.
    both of us like to play similar styles..

now i really want to hear some good solid work from you.with better recording of course.
    and probably u remembering that it was a nylon string u were bending..lol..it has happened to me a lot too...

3. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

im listenin to it for the 5th time now i think.

i liked the part arnd 0:35-0:42.
    nice dynamic shift..and hittin "the note" at the right time.

i know this was just a practice session and a jam..
    but i feel it needs a hook..and a basic melody u know.
    one suggestion i could give u is..while practicin always think up of a small short melodies which u can keep goin back too..after playin ur licks..

4. akkyy21

akkyy21 #%@!$&

@ bjr- really nice clip!!

@ dhar - man,.... i had heard that clip of urs u had posted, not tryin to compare here, but the way u played was toally different.

Nww wys..... i liked this clip a lott :)

Rock on bud bjr!

5. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

please stop sounding like my guitar teacher...(that's a compliment, you know)

The dynamic shift was the shift from C G F G to Am G F G hence the difference in sound even though I'm staying in the same zone that I was in before.

I tried to create a sort of a hook with this little lick:

e-7-8-7-----7-8-8---
    B--------10-----------

and I repeated the same pattern in different parts with different notes to follow this same lick but it was obviously not a good enough hook if it wasn't recognizable :(

As for the better recordings, I doubt that anything is going to come up soon since I have an awful sound card which gives me an unwanted delay in recording....but I'll try to post some more recordings whenever possible.

akky: Thanks a lot, mate. Much appreciated.

yes, I'm a real compliment-whore.

6. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

hehe..
    yup..dude..
    im workin on a totally fingerstyle piece of my own right now ..with lots of double stops.
    will try and record soon..and send them to u.

yup..and reocgnizable hooks are the key..heh..someday i want to be able to make melodies..that makes people mad at themselves for not being able to forget it.hhaahha.
    what a QUEST!

7. akkyy21

akkyy21 #%@!$&

@ dharam - k,.. dudee, straight Question, dont take out some other meaning outta this,..........u play guitar because u like it,.... or do u play coz u want ppl to like what u play?

@ bjr - I cant stop lissenn to it again n again man,... its addictiveeeeeee. Post more if u can make em.

8. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

so u took a literal meaning to what i had to say.awesome..

that question of urs itself is warped.
    im a musician first then a guitar player.
    if the case with me was to impress people..i would have learnt 100000001 covers and played it in the recent igt meet..but i played my own stuff and if im correct..they liked my playing.
    i do play gigs..and work on originals with my band..some ppl hate it some ppl like it.

its all a big circle..if i make a melody which i liked a lot and a person whom i showed it to cant get it off his/her mind..thats quite a compliment i must say.

every musician plays somethin that caters to some crowd.
    if that crowd doesnt exist ..he/she is a pathetic musician.

9. anshphenomenon

anshphenomenon Rape me :boff:

@bjr..
    thats a real good clip..
    good rhythm goin through out..
    gr8 job!

10. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Music, like any other form of art, is an expression. I share what I have to with others hence I'm playing guitar for more than just myself. That is the simplest way I can put it. I'm really glad that you find it addictive. This, by itself, can make me feel that it is worth playing.....let alone my own passion.

ooh, I love double stops...but I usually find myself using only the G and B strings for them. I'll wait for your instrumental.

edit: Thanks, ansh.

11. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

wtf, there was an IGT meet?

Dr. Saurabh: I kept the link as a code because Geocities sometimes blocks links which are referrals from other sites.

12. nik_bokacheley

nik_bokacheley :help: I'm a mad :sadbye:

Lovely peice of guitaring bjr..:) One question.. who is doing the vamping..and who's playing the solo??

nIK!!:cool:

13. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

hehehe yeah....he was a kamosh ghustak:RollLol: ....quite most of the time....give him a guitar and he plays everything out!;)

14. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Thank You

Everything in there is done by me. First I played the chords, then I used audacity and rerecorded the chords being played over the speakers and added a solo on my guitar.

15. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

u are awesome dude....actually the fact that you play ur original stuff rather than covers impressed me even more that day.

@bjr...awesome stuff dude...will love to hear more of your stuff.

16. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

real nice ......never thought nylons were this gud...and ur recording quality wasnt dat bad...definately better than mine heh !~
    the clip reminds me of sum song ppl hear on vacation ....( a compliment ) hehe...

anywayz ur ..judging by ur posts and ur recordings...ur knoledge bout music theory is very gud...

and ur chord transition was simply flawless......but the tempo of ur rhythm kept on increasing ...was that delibrate ?
    perfect ending 2 !

anywayz i want 2 hear more of u .....

17. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

It certainly wasn't delibrate...I'll have to check again to see what you mean. I have problems with tempo while playing unless I'm really concentrating 100%. Right then, some friends had come over so I wasn't really "with" what I was doing. Thanks for the heads up....I'll take a look at it later today.

And thanks for the compliments, both you and cypher.

Thanks for the kind words.

18. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

dude....itz not dat noticealble...it noticed when i heard the song the 2nd time ...

19. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I'm going to cry now...give me more feedback dammit!

20. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

It was pretty nice. I liked it a lot. I am hearing it in a loop. You hit the right notes at the right chord changes and it's damn nice. I dont see anything wrong. But there's always a wide open space for creativity.