Improvisation help - chord progressions and rhythms

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ultrabot90, Dec 25, 2010.

1. flood

flood New Member

get out of your damn box and listen to:

muse
    albert king
    frank zappa
    phish
    the grateful dead
    david torn
    the smiths
    boris
    elmore james
    captain beefheart
    old pink floyd
    king crimson
    michael brook
    merzbow
    QOTSA

2. flood

flood New Member

you win five internets. good post.

ummmmm.... is there anything else you play? rather, isn't this what you WANT to perform?

let's put it this way: if your friends and family can't listen to you play, nobody else will.

by parties i was talking more like smaller house parties with friends. not 100 people smashed on royal challenge and coke and throwing up on the alsatian because the toilet is jammed by the TV.

3. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

@flood - Hella funny post. XD

I'll listen to those bands in a little (a few days of wait, to get my unlimited net pipeline). Though I must say that my ultimate inspirations are Bach (or what's written of him and his ability to improvise fugues) and Pierre Cochereau (modern day example of the aforementioned).

I'm trying to see where to perform, and the places classical might be understood a little...also adding some 'popular' classical pieces to my repertoire (Fur Elise, Traumerei, and so on). I'm in an art (theater) family, they'll listen to me at any given time (in fact, their views roughly mirror the views presented in this fred)...Ima try performing in college (<- visual arts college).

@alpha - See above. Can't exactly go for free improv. I'll experiment with major/minor 7th, major/major 7th and minor/minor 7th chords. Will probably stick with the good old oom-pah-pah or arpeggios.

Thanks guys. ^^

4. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

You can definitely go for free improvisation. And then see what notes you do and do not think you should play. Music has to be developed from the aural/musical aspect too. If you don't break the rules how will you know why they're there in the first place?

N.B: The above does not apply universally.

5. flood

flood New Member

?!? i was being serious.