Improvisation anybody?

Discussion in 'Guitar Tablature Discussion' started by kaiser, Sep 14, 2004.

1. kaiser

kaiser Bored

im posting after a long time....

would like to know if someone's any idea about improvising.....and what soloing is.

prash i wanna hear from you....;-)

2. tejas

tejas ..........

Improvising is just picking up a scale and making a solo on the spot. It has to be spontaneous, not pre planned. You have to know your scales well if you want to do this. One wrong note could ruin the whole thing. And Soloing, is making a lead part on top of a rythm track. Pre made solos are usually more melodic then the improvised solos.

P.S - Wrong forum.

3. kaiser

kaiser Bored

hmmm....so i gotta know the scales for that....but then that brings me to another question....how do you change chords when improvising? if improvising is making music on the spot (as in jazz), then how does the guy who plays chords keep up with the guy who's improvising??

and i didnt get what soloing is....could you elaborate?

4. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

chord changes and improvising over scales is a whole branch of music in itself and cannot be discussed comprehensively in one thread. It involves knowing the chords that will fit a scale, knowing what riffs will fit over the chord changes, knowing lots of "patterns" that sound good in a certain scale etc. It requires a lot of practice and knowledge to be able to improvise freely. Search the web for "jazz improvisations" and you will find many interesting articles.

5. tejas

tejas ..........

Hmm..Okay let me see. Its usually like, the rythm guitarist is just playing the same chords as in the chorus or any other part of the song, and naturally these chords are in some progression. The lead guitarist should know the scale its in and then use it to play the solo. This is not a very easy thing to do. But with experience you'll get it.

And okay i've found a better way to explain. Follow this link.

6. kaiser

kaiser Bored

now thats nice.....
    thanks a lot

7. tejas

tejas ..........

Anytime. That site is very good i might add. And the best part is, its for free.

8. jackdaws

jackdaws New Member

I dont know if this works for a lot of ppl...but i improved a lot on speed when i stopped trying to replicate the superfast licks note by note but rather kept ono the correct scale and improvised...one way of learning and practicing is to play your guitar along with the song...the idea is to make sure your guitar sounds good and the melody is sweet and keeps in tandem with the rhythm and chord progression changes in the record....have fun improvising...

9. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

Moved to Beginners Q & A..