Imported Guitars Custom Duty in India?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Mudit Malhotra, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Mudit Malhotra

Mudit Malhotra BLOODY FINGERED

agin guys i m here again with a new query

frnz if i ask one of my frnds in US to get me a strat from US ,.,., first of all will thr b ne custom duty on it and if yea how much,.,,

and if i get it will b able to avail service for my guitar ,.,.,

total confused
    MuDiT :annoyed: :annoyed:

2. jekyll

jekyll Banned

dude your frend will have to show it as his personaly belonging from US (whcih is quite easy to do)
    then no tax/duty to be paid - otherwise import duty will make it as expensive as getting from a shop in India

and how much is it turning out to be (cost ?)

3. Mudit Malhotra

hey jeky if i go for a mexican strat it will cost me around 360$ thats quite cheap as in India i get it for 32000 INR
    and if i go for american strat it will go for 900 $ :(
    so its advisable to go for an American version

well wat bout guarantee and service????

4. bobbit_uncut

bobbit_uncut Banned

First of all yes to whether your frend can bring it.
    Second - most probably no unless the guitar shop dude in India is really generous (do the Fenders come with worlwide guarantee/warranty? - i dunno)

Second: Mudit,
    do you know the subtle differences between Mexican and American Strat sounds?

My point is if you cannot make out the differences, there is no point spending (wasting to be more precise) extra money buying an American Strat just for the heck of it.

Have you tried playing both of them?
    Remember, whatever it is, the money involved is quite high.

5. Sash

Sash New Member

Bringing it should not be a problem as I also got one Mexican Strat through a friend of mine from US. I paid $369 for that. You may have to cough-up extra $80-90 for a good hardshell case though.

I've been playing Mexican Start for 3 months now. I've tried American Start also it definitely feels better playing American one. But I guess from beginners to Intermediate level Mexican would be the cheaper and better choice.

Cheers

6. Mudit Malhotra

hey sash thnx m8
    but can u plz temme the differences between mexican and american .....
    and wat other guitars u tried before selectin mexican strat :-?
    MuDiT

7. Sash

Sash New Member

Mudit,

I was (and still) not an expert in all this, but my understanding is that the differences are minute. And the price differenec is too much for those differences. The Amrican strat definitely has a better feeling over neck. And sound....mmm I am still a novice so my ears couldn't find much of a difference. I've tried Steinberger and Ovasion (both not mine:)) before strat.

8. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

As the guitar gets expensive, it comes with better wood and better in every small piece of hardware including the Fretwires, tuning pegs, bridges, etc.. Mexican Strats are still made to the spec of the American Strats but the labour is cheaper and also the components. Unless you are familiar with Strats, you are not going to make out the differences except for the Made In Mexico tag.

9. Mudit Malhotra

@sash tx bro ur info is really useful

@ronnie bro thnx ni was waitin for ur reply lik nethin wel man u sayin novice lik me cant differenciate betn mex and us so watcha think bout squir
    waT r squir strats how dey differ ?????
    waitin aGAIN;)
    MuDiT

10. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Squier Strats are made from laminated wood and not solid wood.so the wood isnt as resonant etc etc. Also the components and most importantly the quality control are really not up to scratch..they are all made at Samick factories in Asia.

11. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

@Mudit. As Abhijit says, the Squiers are made of Laminated Wood instead of solid woods. The body isn't very resonant and tonally there's a lot of difference. Actually it just depends on what kind of player you are. If you are going to kill your guitar with extreme high gain distortions, you could even use plastic guitars. If you aren't experienced enough, then you wont find much difference between many guitars. Still it's better to avoid very low end ones because, you will soon start disliking it because you will start hitting the limitations of the guitar. A Mexican Strat will take a long time for you to outgrow it. By then you could even justify that extra $1000 to get yourself a top in the line guitar. Unless you are particular I'd say go ahead with a Mexican Strat. I played a few of them and I was really impressed with it.

12. jekyll

jekyll Banned

:grin:
    by low end ronnie means Givson guitars, of which am a proud owner :grin:

i dont think a Squier will be low end ...

13. Coal

Coal New Member

I have a mexican strat. With some pickup changes and everything else stock it is as good as it gets. This is the opinion of most people here. Mexican Strats / Teles are very very good. I have owned a American Standard Strat and Tele. Yes they have better parts and maybe even wood quality, but they are more than double the cost also. The pickups on the Americans get changed anyways:lol:, just like the Mexicans.

Here is a pic of my mexican strat:
    https://www.geocities.com/merqury6/images/strat.jpg

And American Tele (I sold this):
    https://www.geocities.com/merqury6/images/Tele_1.jpg

There are step down versions of American Strats and Teles called "highway 1". They cost as much as Korean made strats called "Lite Ash". About 600 + USD new.

https://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0111102338
    https://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0265002541

What you really need is a contact in USA/Canada who can buy a used american for you About 500-600 range and take it to India.

14. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

Mudit - Thats a very wise decision. i really appreciate it.

As some gentleman said before if you are someone who is marching towards intermediate level. A decent guitar will do more than enough and its not a really advisable to spend some of bucks on a guitar when you are still learning loads of stuff.

best of luck.