Ibanez TS808 Tubescreamer

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ronnieanand, Apr 12, 2006.

1. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hi,
    Anybody has personal experiences with Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9 or TS808. I have played this TS7 and was really impressed. It was just amazing. It even had a TS9 mode in it which was really good. I need a tube screamer, so I am thinking which would be the best TS9 or TS808. I need that honky mids for the solos.
    I played the Digitech's Screaming Blues and Bad Monkey. They are good and warm sounding but seriously lacks the magic of the Tubescreamers. Tubescreamers have some magic in them which is not in any other.

In a recent gig, I played one song with Keeley Modded BD2 and the others with AMT California Sound. In the Jam Room AMT pedals kick ass but on stage BD2 is a different animal. I heard the gig recording and was almost knocked out with the tone of BD2 which sounded so damn pro good enough for a commercial release and AMT just couldn't cope up here. Now this thing is making me more biased to thinking about Tubescreamers than any of it's clones.

Please let me know.

2. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

I think you should'nt wait for reviews cause they're basically non-existent here in india. Just go for it man. It would'nt have received such a reputation if it was bad right. My only would be whether they'd work as well with solid state amps. Maybe the magic does'nt happen in solid state amps or maybe it happens in this too. I say just go for it if you really want it, it'll still have good resale value right.

Next thing is to decide which tubescreamer is for you. I'd personally go for a TS9DX cause it has more tone control than the rest but the reissues might actually sound better. Read reviews and decide or maybe go for a keeley or some other modded one.

3. ronnieanand

I heard very bad reviews about the TS9DX, so that's a strict no. Moreover it has a lot of gain and it's fuzzy and doesn't clean up well. Anyway I am going to keep the gain setting to almost zero, so I prefer the gain in the pedal to be as low as possible. Barber Electronics has some Drive which is pretty good but it lacks the mid range punch which I am looking for. Even the Jaques Tubeblower is much cheaper but I seriously doubt if it will have that killer magic like the Tubescreamers. With solid stage, the tubescreamer puts out a bit of fuzz but I guess that's okay. It still works out great magic. At least the TS7 did.

4. sridhar11_2

The keeley Ts9dx impressed me though. VEry Very costly but it should be good.

5. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Arent there some mods which have TS9 +TS808 ?..why not go for one of those.

6. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Ok I have a Bad Monkey and I realy like it. I have heard nothing but good things abouth the Ibanez Tube screamers. Infact people who have used both say The Tube Screamer is any day better and you can t compare the two. I acutualy made haste while buying the Bad Monkey ( i dont regret however and love it) and had I waited I would have most probably bought the Tube screamer though I dont know whihc one I would have gone in for.

7. ronnieanand

Okay. Bought a new Ibanez TS808. I thought of getting a TS9 modded by Analogman. Trey Anastasio of Phish uses them :) . But finally decided on the TS808 instead of getting a TS9 and making it sound like TS808. Maybe I will try modding the TS808 sometime in the future.

8. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Congrats :)

9. sridhar11_2

Congrats man:beer: , hows it working out

10. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ Its with his friend in US as of now.
    TS808.
    Hmmm. need to listen to it once it comes to bangalore.

Congrats Ron.
    GAS GAS

11. ronnieanand

Yep. The TS808 is with a friend. It might take 4 to 6 months for it to reach me :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: . If I am lucky I might get it earlier than that..

12. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

BD2 is awesome sounding - a friend owns it. It goes for about $60 on fleabay and a mod kit costs about $20 - DIY :)

13. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Man..got to hear this one..but 4 to 6 months??..That'll kill you for sure...

14. ronnieanand

Wont kill me. I have a lot patience. I waited for about 7 months for my Wah pedal, 6 months for AMT Pedals, 4 months for Delay. So it's not uncommon for me :).

15. ronnieanand

I paid $75 I guess for the Keeley Mod. It's worth it.