Ibanez RG321MH or RGR321EX?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by avinkamath, May 16, 2009.

1. avinkamath

avinkamath New Member

i ve been looking for a fixed bridge guitar around 20k for about "a yr" now!:dance: so i decided to buy 321mh soon after my exams this time.. but lately,i keep bumping into some sites that claim 321EX to be better than 321mh.. basically, the diff between them is that EX costs around 2k more and comes with a basswood body and emg designed pickups compared to rosewood body and ibanez inf pickups of 321mh.. which one shd i go for considering i play mostly alternative rock but sometimes some harder stuff as well..

2. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Depends on the tone you want. Mahogany's dark tone or basswood's brighter tone. Basswood is more middy.

EMG designed pickups maybe meant for high gain stuff. Best bet is to play them both, of course.

3. avinkamath

avinkamath New Member

oh no! cant try them out:eek::.. some months back i have been to some shops in chennai and i had also called up some shops in blore, and it turned out none of those shops had them in stock. so i might get it online this time. have you tried playing them both??. i just cant wait to get one of those.. been using my crappy guitar for some yrs nw!:mad: btw,do u know some place in blore/chennai where they wil let me try both of them?

4. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Furtados maybe.
    Haven't tried them, but the difference in mahogany and basswood is pretty clear.

Look up the specs, if the EMG designed pickups are ceramic then they certainly are meant for high gain, and the hotter they are, the less optimal for clean tones they are. At the end of the day though, through a digital FX processor on a clean patch with a drive like a JC or similar you won't really hear the difference.

5. Harsh Kumar

Harsh Kumar The Official IGT Jester

n hey you willin to sell your crappy guitar??
    pm me!!