Ibanez gone insane!

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ReBoRn, Dec 25, 2007.

1. ReBoRn

ReBoRn New Member

2. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Well, I posted the new IBz lineup link on orkut, and its uber cool.

3. NoneSoVile

NoneSoVile New Member

I'm getting the 7 string version when it comes out, 8 strings are a bit too much for me.

4. DagMX

DagMX New Member

you play a sevenstring? Which one? I haven't met or heard of many indians who play one...

Anyay the ibanez in the pic looks ***y. Just wish they'd go up a bit in scale size. 27" on all their 8 strings is a bit loose for the 8th string to play comfortably. maybe a 28 at the least? or fanned frets..

5. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

You won't meet him too soon, he doesn't live here :p:
    27" scale string is pushing it as it is, I can't imagine playing that thing.

6. DagMX

DagMX New Member

Well if your into korn style riffing, then I guess 27" is too much...but for tight, thrash, progressive picking, I find 25.5"(like my kramer) too loose on the low B.
    A low F# would require atleast 28" for me, and I wouldn't personally do it on less than a 28.5".
    Thats why my custom 7 string V is bein built to be 27"

7. thehundredthone

I'm just not into strings below my low E. Old school/Bay area thrash can be achieved on a six string, and I'm content with that for now.

I really don't see why you need a low F# or G. How often do you go down there? And why not leave those strings for the bassy?

8. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Man the most weird tuning I played on was a song by a a spanish band called stromboli. Tuning was ACBAGc#

9. DagMX

DagMX New Member

Well several uses for the low strings(I'll speak on behalf of my seven string, but the same applies for a 8 string)
    1)Extra range: I get 5 extra notes per string so lets say I do progressive thrash, I can hit the high notes as well as go super low which creates a sense o speed and space.

2)Convenience: I never have to change tunings. I can just transpose the notes in my mind on the fly and play everything. I'm lazy like that.

3)Added beef/ease of playing: You can add a lot of power to a note that would earlier ride on the open 6th string(think all metallica songs) by playing them as a powerchord on a 7 string by shifting them onto the 7th string. Seek and destroy sounds so awesome.
    Also, you'll be suprised how much easier songs get on a 7 string. A lot of metallica/megadeth songs are open 6th string, then onto the 2nd, 5th and 7th and 9th fret. Well if I play the open 6th as a 5th fret on the 7th string, it means I have to shift my hand less.

4)Coolness: 7 strigns dont sound so cool if you tell people about them. But when they see it their jaws drop. Play a little dream theatre and I have expert guitarists saying wtf?!?!

As for the bass vs 7 string, they sound very different and have different frequency ranges.
    Also I don't get why 5 string basses are so common but 7 string guitars are like this niche thing. It's the same concept.

10. DagMX

DagMX New Member

Thats not too bad.
    I sometimes play in Ab,Db,Ab,Db,Gb,Bb,Db
    Okay, not that weird, but its heavy as hell and I can do octaved riffs

11. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

The 8 strings looked super EVIL. Monstrous, even.
    @thehundredthone - I agree, 100%. Even though DagMX wrote all that. Let the guitar remain the original six string thing it is (Doubt that, though. But mainstream, a guitar means a six string 90% of the times)

12. thehundredthone

Hmmm, I get the sense of speed.

Haha, are you talking about songs in drop or step down tunings? Because if you're transposing other tunings on the fly into standard tuning then :shock:

Wouldn't that apply only to E?

If you can play DT then you don't need a 7 string to be cool!

13. DagMX

DagMX New Member

Songs in any tuning between E standard and B standard on a 6 string. For example, I can do Killswitch Engage, CoB, Metallica etc without switching tunings. Just figure out how to shift the notes and play them. It's pretty simple.

Yeah, but it still sounds awesome. Well, actually it would apply to anything down to B, but I take songs in E as an example. I could do it for songs in D standard too, but I'd have to transpose the frets.

Haha, too true...

Oh I also forgot to mention a 7 helps with your playing. Makes your picking much tighter because you have to learn to avoid the low B. It's suprising how sloppy my playing was till i got my 7.

14. NoneSoVile

NoneSoVile New Member

I play an Ibanez Rg 7620 loaded with Dimarzio Evolution 7s though I got a Tone Zone 7 for Christmas and am putting that one in the bridgre. The 7 string I'm saving up for is the Ibanez RG 2027 one of the few RG 7 strings that are actually better than the Ibanez Universe.

Personally, I love my 7 string. My favorite band as a kid was Fear Factory and then as I got older I got more into the the Bay Area thrash scene and techinical death metal but never lost my love for that low end-ness. Just try it, go to your room pissed and crank up your amp and just let that low B just roar (I know I know "just tune your guitar to B hur hur hur"), in the words of Arnold- "Its like coming".

15. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

I still dont understand...this is a question which was always on my mind since I heard there are 7-strings (ie really long).
    What is the difference in the mechanics, music technicality and sound of the regular 6-string and the much-hyped 7- and 8-stringer?

16. NoneSoVile

NoneSoVile New Member

Not everyone likes the sound of the low B, not everyone is looking for that heavy low end-ness.

The 7 string guitar is alot of fun to experiment around with, that low B string can be used to play some really heavy stuff, and then one string down you have all the standard 6 strings of a normal guitar.

I hate how the 7 string is only ascociated with Korn, those guys may have been one of the primary reasons why the 7 string gained more popularity but their music shouldn't be the main example of what a 7 string is used for. I personally love the seven string for its low heavy sound and it suits the music I play.

17. DagMX

DagMX New Member

There are no differences really. It's just an extended range. You get 5 extra notes everywhere on the fretboard.
    It has nothing to do with sounding lower. It's just range.
    Scales apply the same way(if you tune to B standard on a 7, you play the same frets on the low and high B), chords can be done the same way.
    Sound will be the same as changing the tuning of a 6 string.
    All that changes is that you get extra range.

18. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Hey dag, do I know you from Delhi? which band you from?

19. DagMX

DagMX New Member

Could be possible. My last band was called Ferrum but I quit(as in play with them occasionally). My other band is unnamed.