I want to learn..........

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by walk_alone, Dec 23, 2005.

1. walk_alone

walk_alone **~~| An Atheist |~~**

Hi Guys,

Till now i have only been listning to people like santana,jimmy hendrix slash running their fingers on the magic instrument.
    Now i wanna learn to play guitar too.............
    i havent started as yet.i mostly listen to Rock and have decided to learn guitar now.
    i wasnna buy a electric guitar in few days and then would start from scratch.
    i dnt wanna strain my fingers on acquostic as someone adviced me to start off with electric straight away.

So guys help in getting a good beginners guitar as suited to people like me (offcourse iam not dreaming abt fender yet).

Budget : anything less than 6k(including amp,dist)

2. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

Me thinks its better to start off with an acoustic

cause i know a few people who went and bought exensive guitars adn didnt learn any thing

get some thing acoustic for under 1500

3. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

dude, thats bad advice. Start off on an acoustic. You need that strain on your fingers. It's like learning to ride a bike without falling the first few times....

And 6k is a bit low for everything together....You might need to get some secondhand stuff.

4. walk_alone

Thanks for the replies

Hey guys,

Thxs for the replies.....well i have gone thru lot of sites lately and almost 80% of them advice to start with elecric...............well iam confused.

Shall I get the acquostic with pick ups?

Though i dont know a thing abt guitar rite now but iam pretty confident that i can learn basics in few months then i dnt wanna speand another amt on electric.

So i am gonna buy electric thats for sure but tell me which one,i can get good amps later on.................first i need to know things or two about guitar.

replies would be appreciated.

5. Evo Guy 911

Evo Guy 911 Banned

Dude let me tell u one thing. If you start off with an electric, you are gonna save time and money, but u aint gonna learn much that way. First off, you would be needing calluses (some hard skin on your fingertips) on your fingers, and they come much sooner on an acoustic than electric bcoz its strings are harder. Secondly, the notes and stuff are much better undrestood on an acoustic bcoz there is a lot of basic physics at use than in an electric. So just spend a couple of thousands on a basic guitar, and later you can get a good electric one. Search the forum for some good advice on beginner's guitar. It will help. Peace.

6. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

ok dude heres the deal
    mebbe most of waht u read about starting off on electrics came from american or canadian or basically sites from outside india....
    there buying an accoustic is as cheap as buying as electric......u have start up kits over that...eg. the ibanez jumpstart kits...or the epiphone special II or the squier player packs.........but......in india there is a price diff between the accousitcs and electrics
    beleive me....the electric is much easier on ur fingers......than the accoustic.......but the kinda feel of the instrument u get on the accoustic is something which will take a long time on the electric......
    the accoustic guitar teaches you to make love to ur instrument....
    all the more....the guitar is a very glamourous instrument...lotsa people are into it seeing their gods shredaway....but when it comes to playing and the initiaal part when u will be lucky to get 3 consecutive notes to sound right......it looses all its charm...the initial part is rigorous and u r better of spending less there....also u will know less about the insturment so u MAY end up damaging it more........the accoustic trains ur fingers to work right...........and after accoustic....the electric becomes a breeze.........
    plus initially when ur playing......the current goin out doenst remain as an excuse for not practicing when u have an accoustic.....theres no setup involved.......u can just take the guitar anywhere u please and sstart practicng
    and initialy when u sound like crap....u wudnt wanna want the crap to be amplified;)
    go for an accoustic mate....train ur figners first then u can think of an electric ( if ur still playing the guitar after the inital boring period:grin: )

7. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

egjhactly.......rt now i doubt u know what a pick up is...or how a single coil sounds like how a humbucker sounds like......which u prefer........what the parts of a guitar are ( am assuming all this considering you said ur starting , 4give me if am wrrong )

get to know the accoustic first then get to know the electric cousin......

8. Evo Guy 911

Evo Guy 911 Banned

by the way whats an acoustic guitar with pickups????

9. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

i think he means electro-accoustics or mebbe hollowbodied electrics

10. Evo Guy 911

Evo Guy 911 Banned

yea perhaps

11. walk_alone

ggggreeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaatttttttttttttttt

This forum rocks,thxs so much for ur advice guys,

in case if i now decide to get a acoooooooooooooooostic guitar....which one shd i get and wats the price range and .........................
    also let me know abt the electric ones.
    I do have a acoooooooooooooooostic guitar (my cousin's...he never bothers playing it) from bhargava.....shall i start practicing on that or shd i get a new one.

thxs so much for ur replies and let me know if thereis someone who can teach me....offcourse in delhi.

and again

this forum rocks.

12. walk_alone

Bye the way Dr Saurabh...where ru from........................?

13. .:SpY_GaMe:.

.:SpY_GaMe:. New Member

better start with acoustic!

14. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

Start wid A GIVSON JUMBO CUTAWAY>
    its an acoustic with a pickup,and tone and volume control
    that way u can connect it to an amp(not thats its necessary).
    u should definetly start with an acoustic.
    that way once u learn all the chords,etc then move on to electric.
    Besides,even though i have an electric, I still love my two acoustics more then the electric.

15. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

how old is ur cousins guitar???
    and whos manufactured it???

16. walk_alone

My cousin has Hobner and is almost 2 yrs old.
    One of the string is missing that iam sure i can get and a slight crack near the bridge.
    But if someone knows to play ...it sounds good(atleast to me)

other day i went to a concert and i heard "jugalbandi" between guitar and sitar..................man it was awsome.............probably same guitarist wd help me buy a guitar.

Shall i practice on hobner for time being.

skin on my fingers have aleady started to peel off(that iam proud of)

17. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

aweesome....stick to the hobner..get the string replaced.....never never......ever get a givson....they SUCK........
    keep practcicing on the hobner for at laeast 5-6 months befr u decide to go for an electric
    6k is too less to get a decent guitar
    ....Waise...am from Mumbai......

18. walk_alone

Guitar

Its a hobner purchased from bhargava 2 years ago....stillin gud condition but pretty hard on fingers.....strings i guess.

19. walk_alone

hey Saurabh, i see that u r online......do u have yahoo messenger id.................need to know few more things