i wanna be a dashing solo player ... grrr

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by aysh, Jul 10, 2005.

1. aysh

aysh -|h3 ori9in4| (ui!aris-|-

but havent listened to much stuff ..
    u can say apart from gnr , u2, led zeppelin, few satriani tracks and a few songs here n there, i havent listened to much stuff ..
    recently switched to an electric so really looking forward to step on the gas in terms of playing fast :cool: ..

so tell me which bands/songs to listen to so that i can build upon my speed in soloing ..

waiting for ur inputs ..

2. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

u copied my "grrrrr...."!!!!! - thats all ok though....

start with some metallica also - they got some really ncie and easy solos that build up ur speed and u can actally figure out urself - other than that o finger excrsises...

some songs to try:
    metallica- whiskey in the jar, for whom the bell tolls, unforgiven
    do gnr's kncking on heavens door
    then megadeths a tout le monde and promises solo

try all of this stuff.. its not too hard- ull get it all in a while after practising.

3. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Bass-tard Child

Be more open minded and explore different types of music. You'd be suprised to see how even simple songs can influence you to write more abstract/complicated music. Yeah for the harder songs don't be scared on trying them out.

For now, try a song like Testament's Practice What You Preach...it reeks of old metallica influence and not to mention its REALLY fun to play with your fellow bandmates.

Good luck!

4. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

take up Kill 'em all by metallica ...

it is all time metal classic ... reason: it was done with minmal effects + hammett and hetfield wer e both in their "learning stages" (yeah i know u never stop learning) ...

riffs are good ... but little complex and very fast ...
    solos are very less inspiring ... mostly E minor pentatonic or E natural minor runs (up and down the fret board) ...
    so altho they'll sound like very fast ... u can catch up on them ...

5. aysh

serously i didnt .. where did u put that (?)

6. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

If you seriously want to build speed try playing songs which don't require you to be fast . I mean songs like layla (electric version) by Clapton , classics like Johny Be Good, and in general songs that don't seem unbelievably fast but seem a bit complex. After you can play songs like these with ease progress to the fast ones.

General note : Satriani songs are so complex and unique that you'd probably learn more techniqes from the songs than any other song. You'll build speed and you'll understand music better.

7. aysh

dude he uses lots of whammy bar technique .. my guitar has a tremolo but seriously it isnt as good .. the strings will detune easily
    or should i practice his songs sans that effect ?

8. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

all you gotto do is just to listen to all typs of music.well, i dont dream of dashing soloist.instead, i just make up tunes and riffs using effects to catch the attention.

9. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

ive een using grr a lot in my posts this alst month... but tis all good.. dont fret over that - fret over ur guitar...
    hahaha

10. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

start off with some slow,melodic,bendy stuff.

scorpions,santana..etc.

11. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

o.okok..u want to play flashy solos..

12. aysh

@death .. seriously it came out instinctively .. :)

@dharam bhai .. i lovvvvve melody .. but also want to develop skill to play fast

13. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

heheh..okok

14. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

hmm....i just practise and practise and practise..... as yet..i dont know many songs.....
    and hence i recommend the same fer u....all u got to do is pracitse pracitse and pracitse....
    learn some theory.....pracitse scales....use a metronome....(i posted a thread bout all this...i dont know why it never showed up newhere..)..that is way better than just learning songs u can flaunt....
    i just learn songs as they come....tough ones are more ''attractive'......and i play everything on an acoustic.(if i have one that is....duh).....i dont think u reallly need an electric to start off with......belive me......

15. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

haha..dharam bhai.
    hmmm,, stairway to heaven is a good starter...maybe a few metallica licks such as bell tolls(the triplets will do ur fingers good)...the intro to Sweet Child always works on the less guitar educated folk...stuff like that.

16. aysh

^^ hey i cud play the intro to sweet child some 5 months back too .. im not that dumb :mad: (since its the most common .. :p: )

how abt a few gnr solos .. or are they too tough ? i love em ..

17. JAZZ

JAZZ New Member

i wana be dashing as JIMMY PAGE and VAN HALEN.....but simply cant play like them