i need to practice more licks but i dont seem to find tabs for licks anywhere

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by stoned_survival, Apr 20, 2005.

1. stoned_survival

stoned_survival New Member

guys i need to practice more licks ---but i dont seem to find tabs for licks anywhr ---so can u guys gimme some tabs for licks(i want intermed level--not v tough :)))????or can u tell me some good site where i can find tabs for licks ??????

2. Seelan

Seelan Soldier Of Fortune

Try Steve Vai's songs .... Tender surrender and For The Love of God

3. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

id suggest gilmour's solos...anything pink floyd. It'll help u build control.
    ..website..google :)

4. stoned_survival

dude tender surrender aint that easy ---dennis seemz to have hit the rt chord --i think ill revive my floyd craze once agn :)

5. stoned_survival

but ppl if u have some more licks ---like which aint there in any solos ---basic rock and roll licks --then pls gimme the tabs

6. Seelan

for rock n roll , i'm not too sure ... but if u want good licks , you should consider Tender surrender by Steve Vai .. his songs are basically solos , there is no vocals ... guns n roses's sweet child o mine has a lick in the mid of the song .. its kinda nice too :)

7. Seelan

oh ok .. sorry didn't see ur post abv .... hmm For The Love of God is kinda easy .. its not too fast ... steady speed but a long song .. by Steve Vai ...

8. shak

shak Harrr!

you need a heavy duty floyd rose to play for the love of god ... it is a good song but like many others i cant play that .. cuz lp's dont come with floyd rose bridges .. i have one baritone but it has a fender style tremolo ... no good.
    anyways for licks . listen to lynyrd skynyrd ... ummm FREEBIRD!! 5 minutes of non stop licks and riffs at the end .. an encyclopedia really... and red,white and blue is good too ..

9. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

hell man for the love of god isnt easy at all. and seelan, if u can play it, then try playing the G3 version.

10. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

im convinced that very few ppl here can actually play steve vai songs - i agree with sayana aand all - its not easy...

11. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hi,
    Pick up songs from Blues Rock. Blues Rock is full up great licks combined to form great solos not just some wild shredding and shaking whammy bar big time for nothing. Check out songs from Mountain. The guitarist Leslie West is a real god of licks. I know a 1 minute long solo of his song Theme For An Imaginary Western. He actually plays only 7 to 8 notes altogether. But he creates so many variations that the solo does sound repetitive at all and it sounds like a song by itself. I usually pick up such solo, take a small fragment and play it all over the neck. Check out guitarists like Eric Clapton or SRV for some great licks. There's a 100 Blues Licks You must Know and 100 Rock Licks You Must Know article by Wolf Marshall. You should be getting if you do a good browsing. I have downloaded the 100 Blues Licks and it gives a lot of ideas. These licks teach you phrasing ideas, string bending, vibrato, vibrato on a string bend, etc.. These actually would give you a lot of technique practice. It's definitely more learning than tapping a whole scale on 2 octaves or anything.

12. stoned_survival

hey ronnie i dint find that article --pls help me out yaar ---gimme a link or smthin ---i dunno y wheneva i pick up a solo it seemz like time wastage ---i prefer licks ---more practice
    thnx anyways dude

13. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Learning a solo can be a great experience or even a waste of time as you feel. If you take up some of favourite solos but that's pretty much beyond your reach, you are wasting your time 'cos you wont be playing it and also will waste a lot of time thinking how to play it. Rather take something playable 90% and just needs another 10% of extra effort to play everything. In this case you will put some reasonable effort and in the end achieve something useful. I see hundreds of guitarist who would play the first few seconds of "For the love of God - Steve Vai". The first few seconds are damn simple and it gets pretty tough later which they wont attempt to play. I dont see anything useful doing such stuffs. Fantasize playing that song by playing only the first few seconds. It's sheer waste of time. I am currently learning "You Shook Me - Led Zeppelin". It's pretty simple but hear this song live and feel the dynamics Jimmy creates in his playing. The lessons for me from this song is licks and dynamics. Choose a song like it's a lesson and dont bother whether it's by your favourite artist or if it's your favourite song. I never liked this song "You Shook Me - Led Zeppelin" all my life. I am learning it now becasue it has terrific stuffs within it. Now after I started playing, I started to like that song.
    I downloaded that Wolf Marshall licks a few months back. Browse for it in the Google. I dont have any links as of now.