i need help here please!!!

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by rocking_devil, Jul 15, 2005.

1. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

im sorry if i missed out any other thread of the same topic, but how do i make use of harmonics while playing da guitar?! <grrrr> :mad: .is it something found in a processor or is there some technique of doing it?! :annoyed:

2. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

to my knowledge there are 2 types of harmonics -natural and artificial.

3. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

umm........i belive theres 3 types of harmonics,
    Natural
    Artificial
    Pinch

Pinch Harmonics being the most difficult.

4. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

To produce natural harmonics...just touch the string lightly as you pick it and let go(try this on 3rd 5th 7th 9th 15th etc frets..the 12 th fret harmonic will sound same as the fretted 12th string..others will be very different sounding....you will hear a bell like harmonic....this can be done on an acoustic also..

For pinch..you need elec with good pickups and distortion on(as far as I am aware)..basically if you pick a string and touch it lightly at some particular points between the bridge and end of fretboard(ie over the 2 pickups)..it will produce different harmonics..now pinching is done by picking the string and touching the thumb to produce the harmonic at the same time(gives those squealing sounds)...so you are kinda "pinching" the string between your thumb and pick...

5. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

^^ Huh, then what are natural harmonics?
    I think what u say first is natural ands not artificial harmonic.

6. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

u use harmonics to basically make the guitar 'scream'......
    as Dr sau said...there are three types of harmonics...natural(the easiest),artificial (easy)...pinch(i dont know how hard it is....never tried it on an electric.....and of course...i could not get it on the acoustic..)
    harmonics not only give u a bell like sound...they basically give a much higher note than the one u are fretting.......and they are fast...so u can just make ur guitar scream 'oohs..' and 'aaaahs ' in between...sounds really cool.....

7. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

to produce NH- just lligtly touch the string (no need to press it...just a gentle touch)..and lift it off quickly as u pick it.......but do note that NH can be produced only on the 5th,7th,12th,19th frets...(the others are there too...but they are not prominent ...and hence difficult to produce)

to produce AH- u have to hold the note with ur frettin hand.....and then with one of ur pickin hand fingers...you have to touch the string 5 ,7 ,12 or 19 frets above the note u are holding...and take it off as u do in the NHs rigth after you pick it......(i hope u understand what i mean...)

for the PH- pardon me folks

8. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

@dennis..my mistake..the ones I described are natural and pinch..:)..

9. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

^there u go (in cartmans voice)

10. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

#%#@%# #%(muffled Kenny voice:p:)

11. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

a track comes outa no where and hits kenny!!
    and then kyle says: They killed kenny, those bas.tards

12. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

yeah , thats what i wanted.i wanted to get the pich harmonics so that i can perfectly play hotel california.

13. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

hey thanx for your help all.
    @nebu , taxyse, dennis - im getting it like a little spmewhat similar to tapping.i wanted pich and i will try that out soon and let you know.anywayz, thanx for your help!
    @taxyse - i didnt hear any ohhs and aahs , you might have turned on the voice effect.

14. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

another question - is the palm muted playing some sort of an effect or so.coz i found it like an effect in some processor.

15. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

16. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

@rocking devil: i think iknow wat u saw - some idiot made a pedal that only muffled up the sopund - a marketer saw it and advertised it as a "palm mute".... lol - if uwant to get a muted soundy wouldnt ujstu do it urself?? hhaha (that was rhetorical).....

17. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

arre babas and babbos..

pinch harmonics come under artificial harmonics..

basically natural harmonics produce a bell like sound..u get them when u place ur finger on the fret wire of the 3rd,5th,7th,9th,12th fret.and after strikin the string ..u immideatly take ur finger off and let the note ring...

artificial harmonics is a little tougher to get..
    u can get them even in an acoustic guitar..
    but ppl mainly use them in electric rock guitar..with hi gain to make the guitar scream..or probably manipulate it with the whammy.

artificial harmonics or pinch harmonics..is more of a right hand technique..
    u fret the note with ur left hand..and pick the note and after strikin it u immideatly touch the string with ur thumb or ur palm..of ur right hand..
    u might want to hold the pick closer to the tip..so that u are able to make the thumb contact the string after u have picked it.

its easier to get the pinch harmonics if u are usin gain,more mids,use the bridge pick up.

my 2 bucks worth of advice..

18. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

..koi meri baat manta nahi hai!!!

19. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

hmmm.... i always thoguht that there were 3 types: picnh ,natural and artificail.. i agree with most defintions of pinch and natural...

i thoguhth artifical is when u u se digiteal effects to produce harmonics (like satriani) im probably wrong...