I just discovered..

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by abhijitnath, Jan 4, 2006.

1. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

That Gary Moore plays EMGs!!!!!
    Hmm..that throws a lot of theories about actives out of the window I guess:)

2. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

Who or what is gary moore ? :confused: (sorry for the ignorance)

3. abhijitnath

Umm..blues-rock guitarist with the most beautiful, singing sustaining lead tone.Most famous for AOR hit 'Still got the blues'.
    Tone like a cross between Santana, Dire Strait's 'Brothers in Arms', and Slash.

4. shsnawada

Listening to that song. Satisfied so far (even though i would have preferred the guitars replacing singing :p:). You got a really good/wide taste in music i must admit. :beer:

5. abhijitnath

Cheers :beer: and thank you!
    But how in gods name did you manage to find and download the track that fast? I thought p2p was dead:-(

6. shsnawada

Err...its better not to discuss that here... (rules....:mad:)

7. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

EMGs has got both passive and active pups. Kaunsa wala hai?? 81s and 95s are active( to my knowledge)

8. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Dude...I have downloaded 6 vids of Gary Moore over the past 2 days..super fast dls on p2p for his vids...I saw his name thrown around in the forums and decided to check him out..real glad I did:)..his singing leads are killer.. have a vid of him and BB King('The thrill is gone')..awesome!I thought he played '57 classics on his LP?Read that somewehre on the SD forum..cud be wrong:eek::

9. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

hahaha.....
    Even David Gilmore uses EMG's on his Strat

10. abhijitnath

He used to play LPs I think.
    He now has active 81s and 85s on his Heritage LP-type signature model.
    Yeah and both Gilmour and Knopfler use active EMG single coils with the mid-boost on their Strats.
    I heard this awful version of the Thrill is Gone that day..G3 with Satch, Uli Jon Roth and Rudolf Schenker..blech

11. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Gary Moore rulesss!

b.t.w. what is wrong with EMG pickups?

12. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

81's and 85's are supposed to be strictly metal

13. abhijitnath

Nothing is wrong with them per se...but their EQ is very flat and hence suitable for extreme mid-scooping etc in metal. Vintage guys dont like that tone usually and say it lacks life and so on. But if that wonderful tone can be achieved with EMGs, I guess its just upto your fingers:)

14. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ No probs, EQ can solve most of the static tonal probs (not the dynamics though).
    Fingers can only create music.

15. abhijitnath

My point was only that if you give any guitar player other gear, he'll still sound like himself. EG Van Halen through graphite-necked Steinbergers still sounds just like himself on earlier or later albums. I dont think anyone can pinpoint whether hes playing a Wolfgang or Steinberger by listening to the tape.

16. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Yeah
    but u can tell whether he is playing thru a Marshall or Peavy or Boogie etc :p
    or if it is thru DS-1 or MT-2 etc :p :p

or if it is humbucker or single coil :p :p :p

17. abhijitnath

Really? (Not getting into a fight or anything, just a test)
    OK which guitars did the Edge use on With or without you? Can you tell the difference in tone between that and Elevation?
    Which guitar did Jimmy Page use on Whole Lotta Love?
    Can you hear an appreciable difference in tone between live and studio versions of the same?

18. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Naah never (I mean getting into fight thing - unless it is physical LOL)
    hmm
    Edge - dunno what he uses as gear. The Elevation sounds very middy n thick (that should be humbuck).
    With or without you has trebly sound, which suggests single coils (but then you can get that sound from humbucks with single tap also).
    Whole lotta love - Sounds like humbuck.
    Dire Straits sounds like single coil.

EVH definutly has changed his amps since his Eruption days.
    VH3 has very harsh trebly tone (esp "Fire in the Hole"). the 1978 album was more mellow in tone.

BUT, the new Marshalls do sound a a bit like Boogies. The old marshall had their charachteristic tone.

19. abhijitnath

Whole Lotta Love: Tele with single coils on the album
    LP with HB live which is what made 'great thick HB tone' so famous
    SO one can never tell for sure.
    You're right about U2 though
    And VH sounds very different now than he did in VH1, agreed

20. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

A kind of warmth which is what the vintage players look at is lacking with the EMGs. Even with passives, only certain pickups deliver that warmth. Dave Gilmour doesn't have a warm tone but has a sparkly tone and most of his leads are played Semi Clean. With a huge amount of gain, Floyd would have ended up a Metal band. I have played through EMG single coils of a high end strat. It was great with Semi Clean and Clean to play Classics but the minute it was boosted on the gain, they became metally and harsh. Infact the setup I played was through some Racks and it still couldn't manage a great overdrive tone. It's great to play the semi clean thing of Gilmour but if you want that killer overdrive tone of Ritchie Blackmore or that SRV overdrive, then EMGs are not the right thing. It just depends on how you are going to use it.