i dun play near da sound hole my plectrum is sumwer far away

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by guitar_gal, Jun 3, 2004.

1. guitar_gal

guitar_gal New Member

i dunno how i developed dis habit.. but i hardly ever play near da soundhole. my plectrum is sumwer far away. my master keeps askin me 2 play near dat. n altho im makin a constant effort, my hand automatically moves away. is dis ok? i dun realy feel ders much of a change in da tone or watevr. do i HAFTA change da way i play or can i continue dis way?? :confused:

2. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

lemme guess, thats probably bcoz u are putting ur mind on concentrating on the rythm n the left hand, and thats why u cannot control ur hand from moving away. we use 2 hands 2 play guitar, and sure every1 agrees that there's more for the left hand then the right. our mind can do 1 thing at a time, so our right hands gotta be automatic i.e. shud know wot its supposed to be doin'.
    u must be feelin a bit painful after sometime when movin 2wards the soundhole and thats y tend to move ur hand away. thats no prob. get ur rythm proper and free first. then u wud not even care to see towards ur right hand.

3. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

Actuallly acording to me its better not to play near the Soundhole that often.. Cause when you move on to leads, you need t oplay more near the bridge to get harmonics and near the neck to play different taps..

4. guitar_gal

guitar_gal New Member

ohh!! dats interestin 2 kno!!

5. jayanth

Its just my feeling and i'm comfortable like that..

6. guitar_gal

guitar_gal New Member

i think il juz continue da way im playin, coz seriously, i dun notice a change in da sounds, wen i play close 2 da soundhole or farther frm da soundhole.. juz dat my master waz tellin me dat der WIL b a diff.. i still havnt found 1. dis habit wun hurt wen i play da elec, rite? coz dats da 1 i really wanna play lots l8r.

7. jayanth

Way to go... See point is if you try to change, your focus changes and you will be uncomfortable..

8. guitar_gal

guitar_gal New Member

yea.. i guez il take 6string's advice.. n get my left hand 2 work properly widout my monitorin.. n den worry abt my right..

9. jayanth

Ok.. The longer the route the better the experience.. go for it..

10. guitar_gal

guitar_gal New Member

rite.......

11. beatles

beatles New Member

one difference you can feel when playing near bridge than near sound hole is a note will only ring for a shorter time. you can feel it by playing just beside the bridge..and yeah there will be definitely change in the way note sounds, near sound hole it sounds more full and round..

beatles

12. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

hey, actually my advice was to get ur right hand to work properly and u'll automaticallly get to play where u want to! so that when u play the only thing u need to worry about is the left hand.
    and well, u dont need to make that a habit to play near the soundhole OR near the bridge.
    and when u move to the leads n want ur harmonics and stuff on ur electric guitar u wont have to move ur hand near nething to change the tone coz then u'll only need to change the pick-ups.

13. guitar_gal

guitar_gal New Member

oh, guez i mixed up da hands, eh? :) newayz, i aint gonna try very had 2 get dis rite, i s'pose. im actually perfectly comfy playin da way i am rite now. juz dat my master keeps askin me 2 change da hand-position. well, n like u said, dis wudnt matter wen i play elecs l8r on. so, if i can, il try 2 change dis. if i aint successful, il juz chuck it n move on 2 elecs :p

:beer:

14. cshe108

cshe108 New Member

I almost thought you posted the notes for some song.. then realized oh this is
    plain old English written is some new form ;).. jeez.. its hard to read. And I have
    come across it quiet a few times offlate.. Looks like CBSE board is going to make
    it a standard soon... :).. just kidding.

Anyhow, even with electric guitar, you would want to pluck in between the
    pick ups. Otherwise the sound is not that full/richer.

15. guitar_gal

guitar_gal New Member

hehehe.. :) now dats juz my form of short-hand... :p

thing is, i send HELLA LOTTA msgs frm my mobile. started doin dat abt 2 yrs ago.. began 1 summer. neva stopped after dat... been msgin like crazy. n well, u cant type out all da words fully in dat, na... so i started shortenin stuff. n eventually i started findin new forms 2 write words - da way u pronounce em.

so, dats how my lingo evolved. n it stuck on 2 chattin n emailin as well. n lasly, 2 postin msgs here 2... :)

thanx 4 da suggestion, btw... :beer:

16. jayanth

In Electric guitars, YOu will be playing at many different places. In order to get heavy Riffs, Harmonics , Etc

17. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

haha and when u tap and shred at the same time, it gets even more insane...

18. cshe108

cshe108 New Member

Hey Jayanth/Esgad*, care to elaborate a little more so that we can learn
    some tricks here -

Jayanth, where do you pick for riffs/harmonics?

Esg*, How/when do you scrape/tap?

I have been "experimenting" with my guitar (without a teacher so far)
    and I did stumble on "hammer on"/"pull up" (by mistake because the
    right hand could not pluck while the left hand changed the note ;)
    and then realized that it is really useful while playing some hindi solos
    when the note is not to be stressed to much and pretty much just
    momentarily played. Same with the "stretch" although I haven't been
    able to incorporate it in any simple songs that I have played so far.
    Sliding is more intuitive.

Do you scrape using the skin on the thumb so that it sort of humms out
    the note as opposed to giving it a big "tung" note? :)

Thanks folks.

19. cshe108

cshe108 New Member

Make that "scrape" a "shred" in my previous post.. My bad :(.

20. jayanth

Ok... For Riffs i play between the two pickups.. For Harmonics i put on the Humbucking Bridge and play close to that pickup.. Otherwise i play right about the 20th Fret.. While playing leads i play everywhere even above the 6th 7th fret..