I desperately want to learn fingerstyle guitar.

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons, Tutorials & Tips' started by Howlingwolf8, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Howlingwolf8

Howlingwolf8 New Member

I can play acoustic very well(solo). My interest fell upon fingerstyle. Tell me how do you learn it professionally. I am presently following vids in youtube. You could also recommend me a good video. And tell me how long did it take you to learn fingerstyle.(i practice for one and half hour on average evry day) how long will it take for me.

2. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Sid the sloth

it took me just 2 days to get the basic hang of it to be honest. it's quite easy, search for tutorials on google and youtube then just keep practicing

3. Sumanovo razor

Sumanovo razor New Member

go to trinity or calcutta school of music or a.r rehman school of music...you need to have a classical nylon string guitar...dont go to any private classes...specially for finger styles...and yes you gotta have nails...i dont live in kolkata but still on sundays i go to kolkata from jamshedpur my native place which takes 4hours by train...you gotta be dedicated to music...

4. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Sid the sloth

you don't need nails on a steel string (which most people play)

5. Sumanovo razor

well he didnt mention whether he wants to learn them on a steel or nylon string guitar...it would be easier for him to play finger style on a nylon string guitar as the distance between the strings are more as compared to steel strings...i wont recommend him to play on a steel string unless he has mastered his playing as joe pass ;)...even i saw those youtube videos...

6. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

It depends on the style you want to play. Fingerstyle could range from Mark Knopfler to Joe Pass to Paco de Lucia to Extreme. The more you practice, the more comfortable you'll be at it. How long is relative because some people learn faster than others. What sort of music do you want to play?

You don't need nails on either but it's good to have them because they give you a better tone (even on a steel string). Like suvro said, the nylon string guitars are more comfortable to play fingerstyle classical on because of the wider spacing between strings but I wouldn't call it a must. I think you can go to anyone who knows how to play the style you want to learn. Just hope that the people teaching you are sound guitarists and good teachers.

7. Sumanovo razor

hmm...i would say join calcutta school of music for classical,carlton kitto for jazz,and for all round development amyt dutta...mine teacher mr. Carlton

8. Sumanovo razor

and yes for keyboard louis banks and drums nandan bagchi

9. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Carlton Kito is a legend but I don't think he teaches anymore? I also remember a lot of students were pretty scared of him even at CSM when I used to go there (though I wasn't taught by him). Sadly, I've never heard him play but I've heard lots of great stories about him.

10. Sumanovo razor

you will find some of his video on youtube check them out...sorry i cant give you provide you with the direct video link...coz m browsing thru my mobile...nah he still teaches guitar as well as bass...you completed your gradation or wat...from csm...guess the current teacher over there is shyamal dutta...even amyt dutta learnt from carlton sir...the way he blends the terrific jazz solos with advanced 4 notes are commendable...his chord theory is too strong...he himself learnt from duke ellington who discovered swing jazz...he used to get free lessons from barklee...isnt that amazing ...but his main genre is bebop...he is very strict with his playing ...never user hammer ons and pull offs...though sometimes i feel like doing them...i really want to learn classical music..may be from csm or trinity...do you have any idea ...how much they charge...also want to learn some rock and roll stuffs from amyt dutta...btw how much amyt dutta charges...

11. Sumanovo razor

will any one help me out...how to start a new thread...

12. Sumanovo razor

btw bjr ...are you a male or a female

13. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

His name is Shyamal De and yes, I assume he's still there. I started lessons there but lacked the discipline to continue. I think Amyt Dutta went to him initially but stopped quite early. CSM is rather overpriced. They charged 600 for 45 minutes a week, the last I remember. I'm not sure Amyt Dutta is the right person to go to to learn Rock and Roll. He used to charge 400 rs a month the last time I went to him but that was about 4 years ago. I hear that he now charges per class.

14. Sumanovo razor

ow...lacked the discipline as in...

15. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Did not practice.

16. Sumanovo razor

ow...i live in jamshedpur...can i do my classes only on sundays only...thats how i used to do when i used to go to carlton sir's classes...as in catching up the steel express in the morning and returning in the evening...i can understand those sheet music needs loads of patience ...it took me 4 hours to pick autumn leaves... Hehe...practicing for 10 minutes then again playing some metallica stuffs...

17. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

It really wasn't just the sheet music. I was getting better at it. It was more about actually attending classes on time, making sure I practiced the piece before I went etc. etc. It's a pity because it is something I regret. Anyway, this thread should die now.

18. Sumanovo razor

ow i can understand how hectic are these staff notations...i still remember it took me 4 hrs to pick autumn leaves by nat king cole...gosh...it needs loads of patience...

19. Pravas

Pravas New Member

People do magic with just two fingers(Thumb & Index), For instance if you've heard John Mayer, Mark Tremonti you'll know what I mean :D

20. Vader

Vader New Member

haha nice

back to the thread
    nylon would really help
    but dont be put off if you use a steel string
    either ways
    exercises can be boring
    so try this musical piece called romance/romanza (level: intermediate... but you already play acoustic so you wont have a problem)
    it covers nearly all basic fingerstyle exercises
    once you are done with this you should be able to play nothing else matters(intro) and other simple songs like nothing at all(keating) fingerstyle
    keep practicing romanza to move on to harder pieces like fur elise and canon
    once you achieve that finger style on hindi/rock/metal songs would be a piece of cake