i can never become a good guitarist

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by pacificwaters, Sep 10, 2004.

1. pacificwaters

pacificwaters - .+:| Oriel |:+. -

hey of late this is happening to me. has it also happened to you when u were learning the guitar

i have been learning the guitar for the last 18 months. and uptil 2 days back i was like very much attached to my guitar (infact i still am). but till 2 days back when i was practicing i had this vigour in me that i want to be a very good guitarist.

but all of a sudden just when i heard a joe satriani cassette i sort of got depressed, when i heard his guitaring.he is just awesome. and like i got dejected that i can never become a good guitarist. i think u r getting me. i have lost the previous vigour.

has such things also happened to you.

please help me get out of this depression

2. prash_rocks

prash_rocks Over the Hills & Far Away

a lot can be said about it... but i'd refer you instead to someone who really knows all about it... u interested in some philosophy pw?

https://www.guitarprinciples.com/GettingBetter/essay10.htm

https://www.guitarprinciples.com/Philosophy/philo8.htm

plus, there are quite many articles on this page that could be of help too:

https://www.guitarprinciples.com/GettingBetter/gettingbettermenu.htm

in general, i'd recommed u to browse thru this site and at least read - if not accept - all that it has to say: https://www.guitarprinciples.com/

3. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

For me, when i her steve vai play, or any other of my fav guitarists, its more like an encouragement to keep on practising till i can play like them...

4. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

same here......i watched jimmy page in the stariway to heaven vid..and felt this surge of energy and envy...to be able to play like him...and that helps..ur guit playin improves a LOT..i mean i went from zilch to stage level playing in like 10 months..enuf to get an applause....name chanting and an encore(agreed that i have had my guit for 3 yrs..buy never took it serioulsy...)

5. Venus

Venus New Member

Hey Guys,
    Just a short post to say that i read the articles that Prash put up, and they are excellent!!!!! Well, i thought so anywayzzzzz........ Its easy to relate to what the author speaks about and i began to put two-and-two together about my own learning of the guitar!!!!! So fanks Prash!!!!! :rockon:
    Speaking about what PW said at the start, ill have to say im with the rest....i become more determined to do well because its the only thing i really enjoy doing!!!!If u enjoy doing sumthing, then that means there is a sure chance u will excel at it sooner or later!!!!!!!

6. it has happened 2 me.. it woz quite discouraging and depressing

7. abhay_saxena

abhay_saxena Lord of the strings

its just yur attitude .. . you've gotta take inspiration from these guitarists and play better and better. practice is what will make us better guitarists .. .

8. tejas

tejas ..........

When i listen to my favourites play i feel like playing even more. For example whenever i listen to hangar 18, i get inspiration to play the best i can. Don't get depressed by it. Take it as a positive influence. It will definitely help you.

9. ijlal

ijlal The B chord

dont know abt others.....but this happens to me...whenever i listen satriani and steve vai i get very depressed...they are just damn good guitarist...

10. helion

helion New Member

thoda havva aande apne aap ko.. calmly u'll feel rest and get moving.

11. pacificwaters

hey prash

thanks for the links. the content in the articles, were the very things that started me thinking after listening to satriani as to whether i can ever be a good guitarist. and till now i was thinking if guitarists could ever b philosophical.

tell me what do u think can a person who doesnt have natural talent be a good guitarist if not v good, if he has the zeal and dedication???????

12. prash_rocks

well, i always believed in this fact for myself. then it was this article that i read by jamie about a year back when i was just starting off that only reinforced my conviction.

yes, i too firmly believe that anyone can learn to play the guitar as well as they want to if they have the correct information and use the correct approach, irrespective of the measure of the 'natural talent' they've got, which for me now is a practically meaningless concept.

13. pacificwaters

hey prash,

thanks a lot, for reinforcing back the belief in myself that maybe i too can be a "good guitartist" well.... time will tell. ........... touch wood

but regarding natural talent..... well it does exist.... i dont think i wud agree with u in calling it a meaning less concept.....

anyway thanks.....

14. prash_rocks

no... u're taking it wrong... i do understand the effect of the natural predisposition to do something that some people possess in a much greater degree than the rest - this is too common and obvious a thing to be ignored - but i don't consider it to be a crippling factor that has forever bound us to our present limitations we can't get over... and hence we must forever strive to overcome those limitations without giving much thought to where we stand in relation to those who can do the same things much better than us.

15. pacificwaters

hey prash,

i got u now. yeah so it would take us some days more as compared to them with the natural talent to be on the same level as they are......

but we surely can reach at the level they are...... right

thanks for the optimistic reply!!!!!!!