I am bent on beginning with electric!! Some questions.

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by dragonball, Dec 27, 2007.

1. dragonball

dragonball New Member

Hi all,

I am a total beginner(just played a simple 10sec background tune of IronMaiden-FOD once & thats how my craze started). I want to learn guitar(off the net preferably).

1)Is it OK if i buy an electric guitar directly, reason being I just hate holding acoustic guitars? I never want to play acoustic, if playing an electric directly is possible.

2)Can chords, etc be learnt directly from electric, w/o going thru acoustic? I m very passionate abt these and have watched many videos abt. tapping, string skipping, etc etc.

3)If all above answers are yes, suggest me a guitar + amp in ~Rs.15K range(delhi/noida). My music preference - Only Rock, somewhat metal, not hardcore metal, but more like melodic/symphony/neo-classical metal.. EG. AlterBridge, Steve Vai, FunTwo(youtube), etc.

2. sukrut

sukrut God Guitarist

look...

chords and lead on an acoustic are far more difficult then on an electric.....
    so.... if u first learn the acoustic then switch to an electric... it will be a piece of cake..........

if start directly on an electric then after sometime decide to switch to an acoustic its gonna be really hard........

its your choice.........
    if u wanna go with an electric its quite alright........

good luck!
    :beer:

3. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

If ronnieanand were still active here, he'd have given you an experiential answer. He started learning on an electric and well, he's a pretty damn good guitarist. It's about the kind of music you want to play and in some cases, your priorities and goals.

4. ReBoRn

ReBoRn New Member

hmm ..yeah *nostalgia*

5. AtoZ

AtoZ New Member

^... LOL...

Very true....

6. dragonball

dragonball New Member

you meant the opposite, right?

Also, i am NOT gonna make it my profession or something. Just a hobby, passion, etc. :)

-thanks

7. ReBoRn

ReBoRn New Member

yes ..mind sparing those dragonballs to me ? i need to make a wish..

8. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

No he meant what he said. It's not the complexity that he's talking about, rather the degree of difficulty in fretting. It is easier on an electric than an acoustic. And we take it for granted that it's not your goal to make it your profession, for now atleast. If you did, you'd be seeking advice elsewhere. Cheers.

9. sukrut

sukrut God Guitarist

^agree........

10. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

both the acoustic and the electric have their own strengths and weaknesses. just as it is true that fretting is easier on the electric (someone pointed out already), it is also true that an electric, being amplified, would be extremely hard on your errors, which is get magnified for everyone to hear. on an acoustic you can err on the side of quietness to a degree. so both encourage you to practice and get good technique, totally your call which you want to start with.