Hum from a "hum" bucker

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by eldrichr, May 25, 2008.

1. eldrichr

eldrichr New Member

Hi
    I’ve been experiencing a strange problem with my Ibanez GRG170 guitar. What seemed to be a bit of an earthing issue has now become very annoying indeed. What happens is that even if I flip the selector switch to either the bridge or neck humbucker, well the hum is still there. Some sort of hum still comes out of my amp and the strange bit is that when I touch the strings or any other metallic part of the guitar, the hum stops. The same thing happens with the single coil pickup, but the mains hum is still there, though that’s normal. One annoying thing is that the noise becomes unbearable as I turn up the volume and it’s more pronounced with the overdrive enabled.

From the wiring at the back, I figured that the ground wire is connected to the bridge and that being metallic, also includes the strings.

Now I’ve read from past experimentation with EMG pickups that most guitars use the body as a shield from interference, if that were the case, where does the hum come from?

Also, in the Marshall manual, I’ve read that the amp MUST be properly grounded. Now I have my doubts about the wiring at my place, but is that such a serious issue? Can faulty grounding produce such interference even on a humbucker that’s supposed to cancel common mode noise?

What could be the issue?

Any help appreciated

2. sukrut

sukrut God Guitarist

basically the reason why guitars hum is because of lack of earthing.............it stops humming when you touch it because you are basically earthing it............

check to see if you have good cables.........next see if your amp is earthed.......and thats quite important.........in fact if you ground your amp or any other equipment im pretty sure your problem will be fixed.......

also im thinkin of buying a grg170dx.........plz tell me how it is...... and your experiences with it.......

hope it helped and expecting some help in return :;):

cheers!
    :beer:

3. augur

augur I love bjr

Is your computer connected using a spike guard? Connect it to the socket where your amp's connected and see if the earthing is alright.

4. eldrichr

eldrichr New Member

how exactly does the spike guard let you know anything about the earthing?
    about touching the strings and earthing the thing, well there's a problem with that theory. even if i'm not in contact with the floor, ie, i'm wearing slippers or something, the hum stops. but really, should a lack of earthing cause such a problem?

about the guitar, well i't's great value for money and if you go by the looks, it's even better. the pickups are nothing great and because of the strange hum, the volume pot is noisy. the tone knob produces no great variations in tone, but the pickup combinations are pretty good. action and playability are great for something this price but the only issue is the tremolo, which in my opinion is pretty good at killing sustain and good at nothing else

5. augur

augur I love bjr

There are lights on them...

6. sukrut

sukrut God Guitarist

thanx for the info on the guitar man........

abt your prob.....i dont see any other way of fixing it.......cuz i had the same prob with my acoustic pick up.......but a good cable and some earthing fixed it.....

cheers!
    :beer:

7. eldrichr

eldrichr New Member

yes, there are led's on a spike guard, but so what? does using a spike guard really fix this issue?

and where does the interference come from? i mean what is that buzz really? mains hum?

8. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

try using a noise gate on stage.. it helps.. and buy some good quality canles..

9. augur

augur I love bjr

It doesn't fix it but it'll tell you if you have a earthing problem or not. Geez... just try it.

10. samarthgupta

samarthgupta New Member

hey man.....iam facing the same problem with my new electric ibanez..........and i find no solution ....please help...........as soon as i touch the strings the noise vanishes..........how the hell to earth??

11. eldrichr

eldrichr New Member

see, from what research i did on the net, it's not that you're grounding the strings when you touch them. if that were the case the noise would increase. the strings are grounding you! believe it! there is no simple way to eliminate this noise, but you could turn off things around the house. the tubelights and CRT's are the biggest culprit. it's power frequency noise that these things emit that your pickups are detecting. and on the clean channel, there's no noise? right?

there is a pretty complicated procedure to shield your guitar against noise on guitarnuts, google it if you want!

cheers

12. samarthgupta

samarthgupta New Member

right

ok i'll google it and tell you.....

13. samarthgupta

samarthgupta New Member

hey

i have tried every single thing.......switched off everything.......but the hum is still there..
    the only solution seems to be to touch the back part of the strings while playing, ie the part behind the bridge.....
    can you tell me someway out.........i read that earthing the amp may solve the problem...is dat so???
    if so then how do i earth??

14. eldrichr

eldrichr New Member