How young is too young?

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by jusmail, Feb 16, 2005.

1. jusmail

jusmail New Member

Yesterday evening, in walks this mother with her 5-year-old son, and she wants me to teach her son how to play guitar!! Has anybody had experience teaching young children? what age do you think would be right for children to start learning guitar? Till now I have been politely telling such people that children are too young, and that they wouldn't be able to pay continuous attention, and the like. Even if they start, what can you teach except a few nursery rhymes. They are not exposed to contemporary music.

So what do you all think of this issue?

2. shak

shak Harrr!

5 year old???? .. no he wont have enuff strength in his finger to fret the strings... and i doubt that he would be able to hold and play a dreadnought...anyways ... i think you should be at least in your teens to learn guitar seriuosly..

3. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

maybe she just wanted to teach her son, how to break (or otherwise screw) guitars for the moment, till he grew up

4. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

he is too young to play ur guitar i suppose but he can buy a baby guitar and learn some tabs and chords and play on them , i am sure these kind of guitar would be surely available in the market ,...

if you are seriously trying to teach him ,,... and if he can grabs what you can teach and if you have the patience to teach a 5 yr old .... i think its okay..

but hats off to you , cos i dun have so much patience to teach a 5 yr old , unless i have my own kids then its different ...

5. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

is the mom hot?

6. ^^hahaha me i dont mind if the mum is hot
    lolz
    sorry offtopic
    @sharukh there r some medium sized guitars
    @jum i dont think there is an age for playing
    u should look for ideal instument ie for a medium guitar n make the kid do less effort gradually he will develop better playing skills n longer fingers to play normal guitars we play ok

7. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

@dharmatma, LOL:):)
    @jusmail, dude make that kid go the Michael Angelo Batio way. Ask his mum to enroll that kid in keyboard/piano classes till he is of proper age to play the guitar. By that time his music background will be awesome. And he'll pick up the guitar in no time.

8. jusmail

jusmail New Member

Man, I didn't have a thermometer to check her temperature....LOLZ:
    @ Bobby, yah, baby guitars are available.
    @ dist, Who is the Batio you refer to?

9. shak

shak Harrr!

@theguitaristofm.... yeah i just remebered there are some kiddie nylon string small guitars out there....thnx for pointin out.. cheers :)

10. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Bass-tard Child

i wish i started when i was 5

11. d_ist_urb_ed

@jusmail, Michael Angelo Batio dude, the fastest shredder in the entire world. Anyways, that's not the point. Just make that kid do that, believe me, he'll be thanking you on a bended knee later when he gets good.
    @Mr. Scary, join the club bro:)

12. daffodil

daffodil bright little flower

may be he'll become rock start in his teens .... and u'll be famous for being his first teacher ;) ...........
    apart from jokes yeah i think he is too young .....

13. Venus

Venus New Member

where i used to learn the guitar, there was a kiddies class before mine, and in they came all aged around 7 or 8 with their tiny guitars!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bless them, i cud hear them playing twinkle twinkle little star!!!!!!!!! so i guess 5 wudnt be too young, but as far as ino kids that young are only taught tabs.

14. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

on a serious note..
    no age is too young or old to learn music.
    whether u are 85 and abt to die or 5 just learnin to walk..
    it also depends on the kid..
    and do u have the patience?to teach a kid is not easy..
    i tried to teach a few beginners older than me and i got so frustrated.....
    just dont rip them off...if u decide to teach..

15. d_ist_urb_ed

That's why keyboard is a better option in my view. And c'mon, even before they start the guitar, they'll have the ability to make out different chords, notes and stuff. It'll be a freakin' advantage to them when they actually start the guitar.

16. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

well....
    keyboard requires lesser finger dexterity in the beginnin....
    if u see it that way...even violin wont be a bad option then..
    u ll have good finger dexterity..and a good ear too..
    it will always be tough to play an instrument well.

d_ist_urb_ed likes this.
  17. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

cute, isnt it :)

probably i'll make my kids start early too ....

18. jusmail

jusmail New Member

Oh, I have the patience; the question is do they have the patience.

The youngest boy I am teaching right now is 7 years old. Though his progress is very slow, he slowly seems to take a liking to the instrument. So far, it has been a few nursery rhymes, happy birthday, a few christmas carols, and a few chords (all on his baby guitar, of course). Actually, his dad must be appreciated in fostering his music. His dad is a sitar player, and actually, he is enjoying playing the chords. He says on the sitar it is only going up and down on 1 string; while here on the guitar he gets to use all his left hand fingers. Anyways, he learns it and teaches his son too. Bless him. Positive encouragement from parents will take children places.

19. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

^^ nice...
    i wish my father played sitar and taught me.but thats another issue.
    i know it does depend on the student too.
    peace out man and good luck.

20. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

below 6 years is too young, thats called child abuse. u r forcing a child to do what u want at that stage.