how to understand which chord will go with a particular rhythm ?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by uzman xia, Jun 23, 2005.

1. uzman xia

uzman xia New Member

hello there .. well m an intermediate guitarist .. ma prob is tht i just cant get which chord will go with a particular rhythm .. each time i have to log on to internet to see which chord will go with a particular rhythm .. anyone there plz help me out .. so tht i can quickly recognize tht which chord wud be suitable fr a particular rhythm ... !! i ll be llookin frword fr sum help frm ya guyz .. !! i ll be greatly obliged ..

2. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

You have to know which key the song is in.
    its got something to do with which scale the song is in.
    if you can figure out the key ,there are basic chord progressions for each key

Attached Files:

3. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

yeah ... right ...

u have to learn the scales ...

then u'll be able to make out which chords ...

4. nnshinde

nnshinde New Member

hhhhhhhmmmmmmm...looks fine
    i have to try it out
    thanx anbush

5. uzman xia

uzman xia New Member

thanks fr that ambush .. but how do i knw which key the song is in yara .. fr instance i have composed a solo .. then how do i get to knw that which chord will go with it .. i ll be lookin frward fr ur reply ..

6. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

usaully ppl play out a chord prgression and solo over it.. but well.. i tihnk if u jsut looked at the notes ur playing ull be able to fgiure out the chords that go over it..

firstly u need to decide the key... and whther its a minor or major...

if its a minor u need to check if its natural, harmonic or melodic.. pls dontask in this post wat they are - search in the forums

then go to a resource and to find all chords in a key... write them out on a sheet of paper for ur key...

now u choose ur initial chord.. play the part of the solo that will be played over it... if it sounds good then thats ur first chord.. (or usually just take the chord of the key)

now for each chord after that jsut see which chord the previosu ones can lead to and choose according to how that chord sound with the part of the solo that goes over the chord...

dont be afrad to experiment or break the rules - u can reak all the rules except this one (usually u reak them tosatisfy this one) - it msut sound good!

best of luck

7. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

very good ambush and deathdr - very nice explaination !!!

@ uzman - since you are just a beginer , you need to make ur thery more strong - initially it would be difficult to get the exact key on which the song is based , you can even use your own chord progressions at a particular key which might be convinient for you to play but the chord progression in that case also has to be same !!!

but in this case the playing would not be perfect but at some level would be satisfactory to you , you need to graduate and reach a level after this whereby you can judge the key of the song and play the chords in that particular key.