How to tune my guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by mad_man, Mar 3, 2007.

1. mad_man

mad_man oo my god kill Em all

hi....
    about year back i bought a acoustic guitar....although i can play songs(and from songs i dont mean tabs.....i mean using chords and strumming.....thx 2 IGt 4 tht),

but till date i havent learent to tune it:eek:: ....and whenever it gets out of tune(which it usually does in few weeks) it drives me crazy.........

i hv downloaded some tuners which uses my pc's mic to match the frequencies...but the were of no use......and i drives me realllllly mad......:mad: cause i just cannot have complete silence when i want 2 tune......and even if there is no noise......these s/w just dont work...its too complex to tune with them cause whenever i hit the sting the freq. goes very high and then it drops all of a sudden......and even if it maches .......my guitar dont sound like in tune:mad:

now i wanna buy an electric......bt whn i thinks what will happen if i coudnt tune it........i get nightmare's with such thoughts ( BELIVE ME...REALLY)

i just wanted to ask u guys is that how effictively can i tune an electric guitar using those software.....by directly pluging guitar to my pc(i.e without using mic.)...........can i actually tune my guitar...or these s/w are just useless......:annoyed:

or is there is any other alternative!!!!!

what should i do......PLZ HELP ME

2. thehundredthone

thehundredthone New Member

You need to tune on the attack, i.e. when you play the note, and not when the sound is decaying.

Tune the 1st string (high E) by ear/tuner and tune the rest using that as the base.
    5th on B should match with the E
    4th on G should match with the B
    5th on D with G
    5th on A with D
    5th on E with A

3. Diya999

Diya999 New Member

tuner

or u could just buy an electric tuner, it identifies the pitch of the string and some show u whether it needs tightening or loosening. u can use those for both eectric and acoustic i think, and they're pretty cheap.

D x

4. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

Buy a tuner

Buy a tuner and then train your ear later.

You should get the Ibanez tuner for about Rs 1200 or so. I bought my Marshall CAT tuner from London for an equivalent of Rs. 750 but I see nothing here for that price, so be prepared to invest atleast Rs. 1000. Go for those acoustic guitar tuners which also have inputs for electric guitars. check bajaoo.com for tuners.

Don't worry about the 1000 or 1200 bucks, its a good investment, and you can use these for years.

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

+1

If tuning manually using your ears is not your "cup of tea", you can use the digital tuners, that determine the frequency of your vibrating string, and displays the note.

So whta you do is:
    1. plug the tuner, or switch on the tuner microphone
    2. pick the open string, and let it ring
    3. check the tuner display, if the note is not correct, down tune or up tune accordingly

The open strings should display the following notes:
    (from thinnest string to thickest)
    1. E
    2. B
    3. G
    4. D
    5. A
    6. E

Thats all.
    http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Korg-Tuners--3169
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--BOSTU15

PS: Diya, marry me.

6. the_lone_ranger

the_lone_ranger New Member

I can suggest a simple solution to your tuning problems.

Install a 'pick up' in your acoustic guitar, which will cost you aroung 200 rupees, then connect your acoustic to your computer as a line-in ( i.e. not through the p.c. mic). This setting is made in the sound settings ( uncheck 'microphone' and check 'line-in' )

Now tune you guitar using your tuning software.

By doing this, your computer will get only your guitar sound as the sound input and even if there is an earth quake in the neighbourhood, your computer cant detect that sound.

This is a fool proof and easy method.

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Ahem!
    Earthquake will make his guitar vibrate.

Those vibrations will be picked up by his strings and in consequence "picked-up" by the pickups.

Ofcourse the comp can detect that sound.

8. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

What's the need of a pick up for it?

Just use a mic and tuning software. That's simpler!

9. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

*still doesnt understand why we flame people*

10. born2tab

born2tab rhythm guitarist

Are u sure its her pic only:think:
    Yaar IGT is turning towards fropper .com or what:p:

11. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^I dont care.

But am gonna make her mine.

:p:

12. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

LOL OK Alpha, here come some pointers -

1. Learn the "innit" language. Watch Goodness Gracious Me for more on that. You need to learn phrases like 'snore like a trooper', 'suss it out' etc ;)
    2. Start using paper. Remember, the wet first, and dry last :annoyed:
    3. Buy her a flight ticket. AI or BA is expensive, go for KLM or Air France, should cost about sterling 350. Don't be faff and go for Gulf or Tajik Air though.
    4. You cannot support Arsenal or Chelsea or Liverpool! Believe me, you don't want to...
    5. Understand that Pakistanis are not Paki, we are !! :shock:

This will help, 100%.

13. born2tab

wah re wah...sanjiv...u are a pro in this or what...

14. thehundredthone

thehundredthone New Member

Lets not forgot that people are your bredren. And you ask people "You safe, yeh?" because lets face it, in the Indian ghetto (that consists of detached 4-bedroom mansions) you're either dead or alive (because your father just whooped your @$$ for not making the bed).

The dry is dangerous especially in winter. Sandpaper could be smoother in those times!

Or ask if BMI Baby flies to India :p:

But you can still wear their Ts. (How retarded is that?)

Make sure you take offence if someone says "I can smell some curry"

^ Mostly Midlands talk, because the Midlands are the true land of the Pakis!

15. the_lone_ranger

Ha Ha... you really get into the 'core' of things. That was just a remark.

16. the_lone_ranger

Well, I agree its simpler, but that doesnt solve mad_mans problem. He says that he has already tried this. By using a pick up and plugging it directly into the line-in socket of a comp, you can make sure that the computer hears only the sound of the guitar strings and not of the surroundings.

17. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

@born2tab - well, what do you know, I used to be, at least when it comes to matters pertaining to the island. now I am retired.

@thehundredthone - you crack me up mate. I would not know much about the midlands, but boy, I lived in slough, how's that. we should get in touch over PM.

18. LEFTY_GUITARIST

LEFTY_GUITARIST -= M®. §öU†|-|ÞäW =-

try tuning it for 2-3 weeks...let the guitar sound bad, but try to tune it by net....afer tht ull be able to tune properly...ur ear will develop by itself.....thtz how i learnd...

19. born2tab

What do I know????I know u buddy...And really admire the way u are...and your kid bro too.And your squirer standard guitar too which u got from UK.

P.S.--> I was the one who came to pick up ya zoom 505II.:cool:
    Actually atomic punk is ma fren.but new to blore.So he asked me to do it for him.:beer: